Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

MM Interviews & Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MM Interviews & Reviews

Whilst sorting out through some of my (many) boxes of clippings that I've accumulated over the years I came across some interviews, reviews and articles from around 1992 about Mike, the Pyat novels (specifically Jerusalem Commands) and Mother London (one). Amongst them is the 'How We Met' article that Mike and Andrea Dworkin did for the 'Independent on Sunday' magazine in 1992.

I've scanned and uploaded them all to:

[link expired]
    [link expired]

Hope people find them interesting. :)
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Nice to see those clippings preserved demos, thanks. I think I have some myself somewhere, but haven't been able to find them. I'm not the only one with boxes of clippings then? :)

That Mike/Andrea piece is very touching, much more so now....
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Not only is this a touching photo, but I can't resist pointing out that the page behind Michael's head are different Mandelbrot sets. This must have been around the time he was thinking alot about The Second Ether trilogy.

[image moved]
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

OK... So what are...
        • The picture of the horse drinking?
        • The book behind AD: The... Buc...?
        • The book over MM's shoulder: The ... of the Secret ...?

Cheers,
        Ant

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
          "The Victory of the Secret Service?" Just guessing, sorry.
          The Victim Of The Secret Service it looks like to me...?
          'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

THE VICTIM OF THE SECRET SERVICE
            http://contento.best.vwh.net/paper/t320.htm#A13286
            http://www.thrillingdetective.com/eyes/blake.html
            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Goddam! Berry beat me to it! :)

Comment

Berry, good man! I just tried to find something connected with the title but couldn't.

Comment

I believe the fractals behind Mike come from DOES GOD PLAY DICE? by Ian Stewart. Here is the book and the index that mentions a chapter "The Texture of Reality" which is printed on that page next to his head:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1557...57#reader-link
                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1557...=0#reader-page

Comment

I see the 'Published Interviews' album is fleshing out nicely, great stuff demos. :clap:
                    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I may have something relevant. I think I might have to check with The Man himself, Mike, since the physical reality of the artefact, a double sided `Scotch` cassette tape and about half its contents, probably still, really, belongs to him.

The other half of the contents probably belong to the estate of Ellis Hillman. I'll transcribe that part, if the estate agrees to let me have my review copy of Mother London, back (as originally agreed with Ellis). Or, I might turn it into something accessible, anyway. An UnderGround connection.

:)

Comment

Back in early 1988, I sent a list of questions to Mike, coincidentally, shortly before the publication of Mother London. Mike was kind enough to answer my questions on tape and sent them back to me.

17 years later, I've finally got round to transferring Mike's replies to MP3 and RealPlayer files and uploading them to cyberspace. Miscellany Chaos Engineers and Archivists, please take note. :)

Large Mp3 file (30.0mb):
                        MM1988a1.mp3
                        Not so large Mp3 File (13.6mb):
                        MM1988b1.mp3
                        Even smaller RealPlay File (7.7mb):
                        MM1988c1.rm

If Mike sounds a bit tired on the recording, then it's most probably down to the dreaded Deadlines!

Comment

Originally posted by AndroMan
                          Back in early 1988, I sent a list of questions to Mike, coincidentally, shortly before the publication of Mother London. Mike was kind enough to answer my questions on tape and sent them back to me.
                          :notworthy: Thanks a lot for uploading this 'interview', it's great to be able to hear Mike's thoughts on the questions you sent him. It must have been very exciting when you got the tape and were able to listen to it for the first time yourself. I'm glad you were able to share this with us.

And kudos to you for actually hanging on to the tape for all these years. :clap:
                          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

John G. Brandon, an Australian writer as I recall, and one of my favourites. Published a number of hardback crime stories in much the same style.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
                            X