Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

'Prototype X'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Prototype X'?

To whom at may concern...

Dear Whom,

How -- if at all possible now -- can I go about getting hold of copies of 'Prototype X' magazine (I've only just heard about it), both for myself and to sell through Jayde Design?

Thanx & best,

John Davey.

In lieu of an informative answer from someone clever, I'll try to answer as best I can.

As I understand it the first print run (intended as courtesy copies for contributors) of fifty issues has "sold out". A second run has been mooted for commercial purposes, but the most efficient and profitable game plan for such a run has yet to be decided. Meanwhile "Perdix", our editor and man-with-the-plan, is on a two week leave of absence, and may be hard to reach. The official line would be to follow this link:

http://www.prototypex.org.uk/orders.html

But, that's Perdix's e-mail account, and he probably can't answer any queries at this time.

Sorry.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I'm also v. interested in getting hold of a copy if any more are printed.

Comment

Prototype X - The Collector's Item! :P
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
          Prototype X - The Collector's Item! :P
          Complete with Sheditor's typos and other groovy mistakes - all in keeping with an long and ancient tradition of Moorcockiana appearing with sundry printing errors - see recent threads here discussing missing lines from stories, etc. :P
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

We have requests for more than 200 additional copies at this time.

We need to do a second print run. The first print run was handcrafted by Perdix; only the covers were printed outside his "shed," and obviously, the "perfect binding" of the final copies was also done commercially.

We are exploring possible ways to make larger print runs somewhat more economical. (I know Mr. Moorcock will laugh again at the notion of making things "economical" here.) The book is 160 pages, color, A4-sized pages.

The second print run should have a lot of typos fixed, by the way.

Get in touch with Perdix via e-mail and tell him how many copies you want. It helps us figure out how big the next print run needs to be.

LSN

Comment

I can only suggest, if you have the whole thing on disc, trying to get a quote in the US for printing. Generally US printing costs are lower than UK by quite a big margin, especially in a big city like NY, LA or even SF,
              in my experience. It certainly deserves maximum distribution. Maybe some dealers would take copies, too ?

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                It certainly deserves maximum distribution. Maybe some dealers would take copies, too ?
                I've lined up four bookstores in Manhattan and a chain in Portland. Some of the other pards have established additional contacts in England, Ontario, Seattle, Texas, and so on.

Many many more than the stated 200 copies could find happy homes. Lots of research has been done on distribuition and production possibilites--posted in the Enclave in the respective threads. When the head ramrod has a chance to catch his breath (hard working Perdix!) things will go into full swing, I reckon.

I'll take my copy and pop into town tomorrow to talk to printers. Anybody know what kind of files the magazine is on?

My guess is everyone who wants a copy will be able to get one, and probably sooner than later.

Comment

I could be mistaken, but I believe Perdix has it as a PDF (Portable Document Format) file, in addition to whatever he used to set things up -- probable M*cros*ft W*rd.

LSN

Comment

I seem to recall him saying he had the Adobe Creative Suite and was doing the page layout in InDesign. I'm certain the final output was in .pdf format.
                    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                      I seem to recall him saying he had the Adobe Creative Suite and was doing the page layout in InDesign. I'm certain the final output was in .pdf format.
                      It would have to be. I've used InDesign before - the source document files would likely be very large (several hundred megs at least), you've also got to have the image files for the graphics on the disc too.

Outputting to PDF is a hell of a lot easier and more convenient.
                      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Quite right, devilchicken. I can't imagine anyone sending InDesign files to a print-house. I was sure the final output was .pdf, but I mentioned InDesign simply to quell anyone's fears that Perdix set the pages up in [image moved]MS Wurd.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                          Quite right, devilchicken. I can't imagine anyone sending InDesign files to a print-house. I was sure the final output was .pdf, but I mentioned InDesign simply to quell anyone's fears that Perdix set the pages up in [image moved]MS Wurd.
                          Indeed - Word is atrocious for anything more artistic than a manuscript. Back in the UK I worked as a Technical Author for a couple large corporations - as dry and 'unartistic' as those documents were, I used to find that Word would fall over really easily if the document had even a moderate degree of page formatting.
                          Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

I have to use Word at the office, but much of my private stuff I write in WordPerfect which I much prefer . Version 7 until recently, now V.12 that can handle word .docs Only the € symbol it can't process, I keep getting little boxes instead.
                            Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
                              We have requests for more than 200 additional copies at this time...

We need to do a second print run...

The book is 160 pages, color, A4-sized pages.
                              I work for a company that produces catalogs on a regular basis (I'm in advertising design) and it occurred to me that perhaps I could get in touch with one of the print-houses we use and find out what kind of deal I can get.

I've asked our contact to get me some figures and get back to me. The specs I gave him are:

160 pages
                              Color
                              A4 page size
                              Heat-bound cover
                              Minimum of 200 copies (but possibly up to 300-350 copies).
                              Files are in .pdf format

I'll post the numbers he gives me as soon as I have them. Then we can figure out if it's feasible to go this route and how much each issue will cost.

Comment

Working...
                              X