Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Michaels Poems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dardar
    Moonbeam Traveller
    • Jul 2005

Michaels Poems

Does anyone know of anywhere were I could view Mikes poems online? :D
  • Michael Moorcock
    Site Host
    • Dec 2003

I haven't written much poetry and very little of that is online. There are lyrics and what I called declamatory rhetoric done mainly for Hawkwind.
    This is in Dude's Dream, but that of course isn't online either.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• Whiskers
      flying cat
      • Nov 2003

Check out this thread: [broken link] to learn more about Dude's Dream which appears to have all of Mike's published lyrics.
      Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 05:52 AM.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

• Marca
        Eternal Champion
        • Aug 2004

I have a couple of the old A5 format issues of Back Brain Recluse magazine, which feature several poems by Mike. I'll probably be able to scan these for the Image Gallery if Mike doesn't mind, although not for a couple of weeks as I'll be on holiday next week and don't have much free time before then.
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
          Site Host
          • Dec 2003

I'm very careful about what I call poetry. I should emphasise that. Most of my stuff isn't poetry. For Thomas Tompion in The New SF was poetry and about two other published pieces were attempts at verse, but I don't work hard enough at my verse to want most of it published! I KNOW what real poetry is and mine isn't it!

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• Marca
            Eternal Champion
            • Aug 2004

Mike, I thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than start a new one as I've always been intrigued by For Thomas Tompion, which must be your shortest published work. What was the inspiration for it and intention behind it? All I know about Thomas Tompion is that he was a maker of clocks...
            'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
              Site Host
              • Dec 2003

My short short for a recent WIRED is probably my shortest published work. For Thomas Tompion was about time, of course, as well as clocks and identity. I've published very little verse because I simply don't think most of it is any good at all. Could be why I prefer to publish parodies and so on, as in Gloriana, End of Time stories or almost anything under Wheldrake's name.

Comment

• xidrep
                Champion of the Balance
                • Nov 2004

Sublime though good poetry can be, as a form it often gives me the shudders as I have been traumatised by inadvertently tuning in to Poetry Please on R4 on Sunday evenings whilst driving out of North Wales. The unctuous or Points of View - style faux-jocular or earnest tones of the reciters has ruined my mental imagery of many a good piece. I think 'tis best to read off the page, silently, unless the accented idiom is so strong; as Rabbie Burns put it:

Awa' the wee nact jibbins,
                Wi' a hoo lubs hank,
                An 'tis aye frae willy gulag,
                Woonaggle! Moonoo' shank!

With which one can hardly argue, surely?

Comment

• xidrep
                  Champion of the Balance
                  • Nov 2004

Or is that Melinbonean? I get that and Glaswegian confused.

Comment

• Kipper
                    Lost Boy
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Perdix

Awa' the wee nact jibbins,
                    Wi' a hoo lubs hank,
                    An 'tis aye frae willy gulag,
                    Woonaggle! Moonoo' shank!
                    Well now Perdix, that seems to me to be a poem about a film. Perhaps something about a killer whale in prison? Does he escape on a moonlit night with a man called Hank, with whom the whale has formed an unhealthy form of attachment?
                    Woonaggle - it's all Melnibonean to moi!
                    If you live in North Wales, you can probably understand it better than I. I've got relatives around there and they all have funny accents! I'm on the Wirral, so if you do live around there we're almost neighbors!
                    Last edited by Kipper; 01-18-2007, 11:51 AM.
                    He's well smoked

Comment

• xidrep
                      Champion of the Balance
                      • Nov 2004

You're right: I believe Burns wrote this stanza during his so-called 'Pint o' Heavy' period, when he frequently visited picture theatres for inspiration, and to sleep it off. The reference to Whales/ Wales may indeed be a punning cross-Gaelic device, although the 'gulag' is actually now believed to be contemporary West Coast dialect for a delay in the serving of porridge.

Comment

• David Mosley
                        Eternal Administrator
                        • Jul 2004

You need to put a trailing "/" in that last quote tag Kip' to make it work properly, i.e. [/quote].

(That was a public service announcement from the MMA*.)

*Moorcock's Miscellany Administrator
                        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Kipper
                          Lost Boy
                          • Nov 2006

Eh voila! Merci monsieur MMA!
                          Last edited by Kipper; 01-18-2007, 12:08 PM.
                          He's well smoked

Comment

• Tales from Tanelorn
                            Eternal Champion
                            • Dec 2003

Some great poetry here, if you count song lyrics!

http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showt...light=cyberiad

Comment

• Kipper
                              Lost Boy
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Tales from Tanelorn
                              Some great poetry here, if you count song lyrics!
                              Brilliant sounds, excellent songs TfT. Thanx for that link! Has to be up there in my top ten albums ever - right next to that one about the 'Starfighter Pilot'.

Perdix, It was the 'Frae Willy' reference that I picked up on. A whale in a Gulag. Ye gods but that Rabbie Burns bright!
                              He's well smoked

Comment

Working...
                              X