Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Greek editions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek editions

Anyone know if Mike's books are currently in print in Greece? I'm off to Crete in a weeks time and have no idea if I will be near a bookshop, but will be keeping an eye open for anything I can find.
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Not sure anything's out yet in Greece. I recently sold rights to a bunch of books and it's possible they've been published. Sorry I can't remember details. Have no records with me here in Paris.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
      Not sure anything's out yet in Greece. ...
      Some Greek editions certainly have been published (but as to whether they're still in print... ?).

There was, at least, a Greek edition of Stormbringer, Ελρικ – Η Καταιγίδα, with cover art by Chris Achilleos (kind of appropriate).

Gr.,
      Ant

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
        Not sure anything's out yet in Greece. I recently sold rights to a bunch of books and it's possible they've been published. Sorry I can't remember details. Have no records with me here in Paris.
        No problem. I wouldn't expect you to have it all committed to memory. I'll just be keeping my eyes peeled. Curiously I've just read The Real Life Mr. Newman, which features travels from London to Paris to Greece.
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
          There was, at least, a Greek edition of Stormbringer, ????? – ? ?????????,, with cover art by Chris Achilleos (kind of appropriate).

Gr.,
          Ant
          This edition?

http://www.greekbooks.gr/web/main/re...C5%EB%F1%E9%EA

(If the link doesn't work, surf http://www.greekbooks.gr and copy paste "?????" near the "?????????" (search) option...)

I know it, Ant, I got the first book and all I can tell is that it is a fairly good translation (as translations are always a treason somehow...) of the full text.

Aral Vilsn, it's pretty easy to find, I guess: I found mine by accident in the small-and-not-that-touristic-at-all-island where my family comes from, so it should be even easier in a more "civilized" :lol:area such as Crete (or for sure Athens) !
          Have a nice holiday in the sun, anyway.

Mike, is this edition unauthorized??? Because it's already a couple of years old... I'll try to find mine and look for the details of the edition.
          “Because,” she said, “there are better dreams.” - the Sea Lady (H.G. Wells)

Comment

Oh bother, my greek font gets zapped when I submit my post! :?

I meant copy-paste "Elric" in greek near the search option "anazhthsh" (this in E-Greek!).

Comment

Cheers, Bakhios. I'm curious about that edition. Sometimes rip offs aren't even deliberate, but arrived at through a sub-agent or even a publisher. I only recently heard about the two White Wolf anthologies of stories by other hands (Tales of the White Wolf and Pawn of Chaos) via the French publisher who brought them out some time ago, having done a deal with White Wolf publishing, who didn't tell us! As far as I know, nobody, including the editor, was paid. If a publisher has done this via White Wolf, believing White Wolf have the rights, then it is only WW's fault.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I'll check it out! :D
                I just have to do some serious archeological research in my mess to find it... as my bedside book is the English original version, not that Greek one!

One interesting fact about the translation, though, is how the name "Stormbringer" was translated:
                "Kathaigida" quite boringly means simply "storm", but it is etymologically much more interesting as the stem of that greek word is a reference to the Aegis, that mystical weapon of Zeus and Athena, which was the scaly hide of the divine Amalthea, fringed by snakes and later adorned by the Gorgon's head and which struck terror into the heart of mortals and gods alike when shaken by its wielder...
                I've always thought there was a certain similitude between it and the Black Blade!

Comment

Quite incredibly enough, I found my greek book quite easily! :D

It is published by AIOLOS editions, and the credits are (as they appear in the fourth page):

Original Title: Michael Moorcock/Elric of Melnibonأ©, 1972
                  Edition for the Greek language: AIOLOS EDITIONS 1997

Cover illustration: Chris Achilleos,1986
                  Cover design: Dimitris Kalokyris
                  Map drawn and designed by Paulina Kallidou (but it is very much inspired by James Cawthorn's!)

Copyright 1997 for the Greek language and the translation:
                  AIOLOS editions
                  35 Arachovis str, 106 81 Athens,
                  tel: 33.01.553
                  fax: 38.02.859

Copyright 1972, Michael Moorcock

ISBN 960-521-012-6

The reproduction of this book in any way, partial or whole, is allowed only with the written authorisation of the publisher.
                  Well I did reproduce a part of it without asking, but I assume your permission supersedes the publisher's!

There is no mention of WW that I can find... :(

The translation is quite accurate... so accurate that they even translated your own forewords from the 1993 Millenium edition including your final thanks to John Davey!

The forewords by the translator, Thomas Mastakouris (who is not credited elsewhere but at the end of his own text... Obviously the rip-off doesn't come from him!) include a very elogious biography and overview of your work.

Well, now you have the full address of the Aiolos editions to ask them for some reckoning!

If you wish to call them (you should be able to find someone speaking English, even with a disastrous accent!), Greece gets a bit complicated:

First, if you call from Europe, dial 00 for international before anything (I heard it is 011 from the US?), then Dial 30 210 before the seven numbers above (30 is for Greece, 210 is for Athens).

I hope you'll get to the bottom of this, but beware: Aiolos is the god of winds... I hope they will not live up to their namesake and vanish into thin air when you ask them some evidence!

Comment

Well, I don't remember it. But I don't ALWAYS remember editions. I'll wait until I get back to Texas and check to see if I was ever sent a copy, though I must say I don't rememember it. If a sub agent was involved, this could be why I never saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakkhios
                      This edition?
                      I don't remember it quite like that, but I can't find it again on the web... I may have a copy of the image on my iMac (on my ThinkPad at the moment): I'll take a look tomorrow.

It's now tomorrow: Sorry, couldn't find it.

Gr.,
                      Ant

Comment

Just got back from Crete. First the good news - I had a wonderful time. Through a combination of circumstances I'm rather ashamed to say that it was the first time I'd been outside the UK, but it certainly won't be the last. I now understand how people can go to another country and fall under the spell of their culture. The scenery, the people, the weather were all entrancing. The only bad part of the trip was falling into the clutches of a timeshare company and spending two hours listening to a sales pitch when we had to get home and packing, but even that was quite funny due to our repeated attempts to cut short the salegirl's endless patter and her far from graceful acknowledgement that we weren't interested.

Now the bad news - no Moorcock to be found anywhere. I looked in any bookshop I came across (although most of them seemed to be branches of the same company) but turned up nothing. There was lots of Dan Brown and Crete would be a haven for fans of Stephen King seeking foreign editions. It didn't help that Greek bookshops don't seem to stock their books in any kind of order, but I'm pretty sure there was nothing there.

To make up for this, I left behind my copy of The Time Dweller that I took with me at the apartment we were staying in - see [broken link]The Michael Moorcock Strategic Book Placement Programme thread for more details.
                        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 06:01 AM.

Comment

information from a Greek

Hi,Mike!
                          In Greek language we have:
                          The Elric Saga(in 5 books-from Elric of melnibone to Stormbringer)
                          The two Corum trilogies
                          The Hawkmoon Saga
                          The Dreamthief's daughter
                          The "John Daker" saga,I guess is it's way as I saw "The eternal champion #1" and the other two will follow(Phoenix in obsidian and The dragon in the sword)

I think you are the second most popular fantasy writer in Greece.

Comment

It's a shame I didn't see any while I was over in Crete. Maybe they can be found more easily in Greece itself? :?

Comment

Working...
                            X