Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Harry Douthwaite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Douthwaite

Hi Mike,

A friend has just noticed and sent to me a copy of something you wrote to an enquirer on 30 January 2002, to wit that I'd become a recluse and would be unlikely to respond to communications. This was and is completely untrue, and I wonder who misinformed you? I'll write to you care of your agent and bring you up to date on what really transpired after we were last in touch in 1968.

All the best,

Harry Warren (formerly Douthwaite)

Hi, Harry -- good to hear from you. Sorry I was mistaken! What are you doing these days ? Your cover for The Final Programme continues to be my favourite JC cover ever! Are you still drawing ? Look forward to hearing from you.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Hi Harry. I wanted to give Mike the opportunity to reply first, since your post was directed to him. Now that he has I wanted to compliment you not only on the Final Programme cover, but also all the work you did for Savoy in the early 80s. Your cover for Mike's Russian Intelligence is excellent, and the ones you did for the Jack Trevor Story books were the main reason for me buying them originally. I'd be interested to know what else you've done.

Have you guys really not been in contact since the late 60s? 8O

Here is a link to Guy Lawley's JTS site showing the covers Harry did for the Savoy JTS editions.
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

I have no business being in this thread, but I just wanted to say your work is fantastic! I especially love the variations on the JTS covers, with the blood-splattered blue-chap as my particular favourite. I really like the New World sketch of JC, but your colour work is gorgeous. Hope everything gets sorted out between Mike and yourself. :)

(Thanks for the link Aral)
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I too am a fey interloper here, but just wish to echo Dee's sentiments. Also, there can be few forums where you see posts from people promising to update other people on stuff that happened in 1968 (when I was one year old...) :roll:

Comment

Just returned from my holiday and coming late to this thread, I can only add a few words of admiration for Mr Douthwaite / Warren’s work, and this link to what I believe to be the first published illustration of Jerry Cornelius:
            [link expired]

Comment

Working...
            X