Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

First Appearance of Gaynor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Appearance of Gaynor?

Would someone tell me what book contains the first Appearance of Prince Gaynor the Damned, please?

If memory serves me well, I think it would be in "The Bull and the Spear", the first in the second series of Corum.

cheers
    Greg
    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

Comment

Huh, not having read the Corum books, I didn't realize he predated Revenge of the Rose, which I'm pretty sure is his first appearance in an Elric tale.
      My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air
        Huh, not having read the Corum books, I didn't realize he predated Revenge of the Rose, which I'm pretty sure is his first appearance in an Elric tale.
        Unless you accept that Yrkoon is an aspect of Gaynor... and so on.
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

When was the Elric/Conan Marvel Comics crossover first released?

Comment

March and May 1972..

And Gaynor first appeared in The Queen of the Swords, I think
            "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl f'tagn"

Comment

Originally posted by manmiles
              When was the Elric/Conan Marvel Comics crossover first released?
              Doesn't this question belong in Thongor's [broken link]other thread?

Anyway, GOO is right...

“A Sword Called Stormbringer!� Conan the Barbarian #14 (Marvel Comics, March 1972)
              [broken link]
              “The Green Empress of Melnibonأ©â€? Conan the Barbarian #15 (Marvel Comics, May 1972)
              [broken link]

Written by Roy Thomas, story plotted by Michael Moorcock and James Cawthorn; artist: Barry Windsor Smith; inkers: Sal Buscema and Smith; letterer: Sam Rosen; editor: Stan Lee.

Ciao,
              Ant
              Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                Doesn't this question belong in Thongor's [broken link]other thread?
                Unless you accept that Conan is an aspect of Gaynor...and so on.

Er, maybe not though.
                Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mordenkainen
                  Unless you accept that Conan is an aspect of Gaynor...and so on.
                  Ah, maybe there is just one archetypal hero with a thousand faces... hey, that's an idea worth writing about!

Ciao,
                  Ant

Comment

Not forgetting Mike's habit of rewriting editions of his earlier books (i.e. editing the Bastable books to tie in Gaynor/Stalin and The Rose - and even the Second Ether) - so you can't even say where things fit in chronologically in the Eternal Champion sequence, although you could say when they were first published. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                      Campbell's Hero of a Thousand Varieties ? Or is that just a soup merger ?
                      OK. I'm tired, I admit it.
                      Or Heinz's Hero of 57 Faces?

By my count you're still about 19 off even that...

# Alerik †
                      # Alivale
                      # Konrad Arflane †
                      # Artos † [the Celt] – the “historical� King Arthur?
                      # Asquiol of Pompeii † (The Sundered Worlds)
                      # Aubec of Kaneloon †
                      # von Bek † – Graf Ulrich von Bek and his descendants
                      # Brian †
                      # Clen [of Clen Gar] † — appears in the graphic novel The Swords of Heaven, the Flowers of Hell; storyline by Michael Moorcock, finished script and artwork by Howard Chaykin
                      # Clovis Marca † (The Twilight Man/The Shores of Death)
                      # Cornelius † – i.e., Jerry Cornelius, maybe others
                      # Cornell † – probably not the Jerry Cornell of The Chinese Agent
                      # Corum Jhaelen Irsei † â€،
                      # John Daker † â€،
                      # Elric Womanslayer †
                      # Erekosأ«, Champion of Humanity, who bore the Black Blade † â€،
                      # Franik
                      # Goldberg
                      # Dorian Hawkmoon â€،
                      # Ilanth
                      # Ilian of Garathorm â€،
                      # Michael Kane (of Old Mars)
                      # Klan † — from an aborted series started in Tarzan Adventures … which never went anywhere
                      # Malan’ni â€،
                      # Mejink-La-Cos †
                      # M’v Okom Sebpt O’Riley, Gunholder of the Qui Lors Venturers
                      # Oshbek-Uy †
                      # Pournachas †
                      # (Alan) Powys † (The Fireclown/The Winds of Limbo)
                      # Rashono â€،
                      # Roland – from the mediأ¦val epic The Song of Roland, with his sword Durandana
                      # Ryan † (The Black Corridor)
                      # Shaleen †
                      # Sojan †
                      # Ulysses † – from Homer’s Illiad and Odyssey
                      # Umpata †
                      # Urlik Skarsol †
                      # Ghardas Valabasian, Conqueror of Distant Suns

Listed in Phoenix in Obsidian † and The Dragon in the Sword â€،

But I've probably missed a few somewhere...

Ciao,
                      Ant

Comment

Gaynor appears in the Elric/Conan crossover, along with Xiomburg.

Comment

Thanks for all the input, folks. I think it was The Queen of Swords. In
                          fact, that's what brought the question about. I had picked up the old
                          omnibus of the first Corum trilogy and noticed Gaynor mentioned in one of
                          the chapter titles of the second book. I was pretty sure Elric's first prose
                          encounter with Gaynor was in The Revenge of the Rose and I knew Gaynor had turned up in the Conan comic in the early 1970s. Of course in the multiverse "first" is a relative term...

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                            Originally posted by Dead-Air
                            Unless you accept that Yrkoon is an aspect of Gaynor... and so on.
                            I get your point, but I have a hard time with achieving that. Yrkoon just seems so typically Melnibonean, while Gaynor just seems so much the solitary damned human (even when he works with Klosterheim.) They're both certainly evil, but Yrkoon seems a lot closer to an aspect of Jerry Cornelius's brother Frank (or vice versa, and never has "vice versa" seemed so appropriate!) Gaynor is pretty much his own lonely eternal.
                            My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Working...
                            X