Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Moorcockopedia: Request for information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moorcockopedia: Request for information

Does anyone have the 'Dedications' for the following of Mike's books please?

The Nature of the Catastrophe (original, NOT the 'New' edition)

The Sleeping Sorceress (possibly the same as the 'The Vanishing Tower', but I'd like to confirm that)

Lunching with the Antichrist

King of the City (I've misplaced my own copy [broken link]
    London Bone

The White Wolf's Son

I need them to help complete the following entry in Moorcockopedia: [broken link]

Cheers,
    David
    Moorcockopedia manager

Oh, and have a persual of the 'Q' topics for another little entry I've added. ;)
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:49 AM.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Re: Moorcockopedia: Request for information

Originally posted by demos99
    King of the City
    For my grandson, Alexander, a fable

Cheers,
    Ant

Comment

Lunching With The Antichrist - For Linda (aaah)

The Sleeping Sorceress just carries the dedication For Ken Bulmer - The Vanishing Tower elaborates on this somewhat.

I was hoping to give you London Bone too, but my copy is a proof and doesn't include the dedication - drat!

By the way, did you know the US Ace paperback edition of The Black Corridor carries a slightly different dedication to the UK one? It reads For Hilary, without whom...
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Thanks guys. [broken link]

Appreciate the help and quick responses.

I've just realised that I've missed out all the 'Tales of the Eternal Champion' omnibus dedications that Mike wrote in his Introductions. [broken link] so I'll have to go back and work them in somewhere. :p

In the Introduction to Vol.8 of the EC omnibuses, Mike says that his first Elric novel published in 1963 - presumably the Stealer of Souls hardback by 'Neville Spearman'(?) - was dedicated to his mother, but if so, my paperback editions both omit this. Anyone know what it was?

Cheers,
        David
        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:50 AM.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

white wolf's son is dedicated to jerico radoc. I don't have it at hand now (I'm working) so I can't check the exact text.

mmm, that was a very useful post.

Comment

Originally posted by mordenkainen
            white wolf's son is dedicated to jerico radoc. I don't have it at hand now (I'm working) so I can't check the exact text.

mmm, that was a very useful post.
            No problem, just post it if/when you get the chance. :) (I knew that Jerico was mentioned in the dedication but I don't have a copy of WWS yet - hopefully next month when my birthday comes around. [broken link])
            Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:50 AM.

Comment

The Nature of the Catastrophe has a very subtle dedication-- "For Borges" on the title page (but not the main title page with the publisher and editors' names--my book terminology is failing me-- verso?).

As an aside, it also has a clever introduction by MM as James Colvin.

The Spearman Stealer of Souls is dedicated "For my Mother."

Can't find my copy of London Bone...

Comment

Thanks Doc. :D

Comment

No, thank you.

First and most importantly for taking on this project.

Second for helping me justify the time (and expense) it took to track down those editions :lol:

Comment

Does anyone know - and this will likely be helpful to demos99 in the future - who the cover artists are for the following Elric books:
                    • Elric of Melnibonأ©, Arrow 1983
                      [broken link]
                      The Sleeping Sorceress, NEL 1972
                      [broken link]

Ciao,
                    Ant
                    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                      Does anyone know - and this will likely be helpful to demos99 in the future - who the cover artists are for the following Elric books:
                      Speaking of which, has anyone ever seen this cover before (it's a new one on me):

Arrow 1975 UK according to the web site I found it on. :?

Comment

I've seen it before, but I don't have a copy. It doesn't seem to turn up too frequently, although I've never looked specifically for it.
                        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

London Bone
                          'For my Mother, in loving memory'

The White Wolf's Son
                          'In memory of Jerico Radoc: a generous spirit who died too young

and for Alan Wall and all the regulars down at MWM, with thanks.'
                          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
                            'For my Mother, in loving memory'

'In memory of Jerico Radoc: a generous spirit who died too young

and for Alan Wall and all the regulars down at MWM, with thanks.'
                            Once again, thanks for all the help everyone. I truly appreciate it.

Seeing as how Jerico has a special place in many people's hearts here, I've linked his dedication to his Memorial here as well.

Cheers,
                            David

Comment

The cover of the NEL edition of Sorceress is signed 'Jan Parker' in the bottom right hand corner - that's the first (UK and/or worldwide) edition, by the way - it went straight into paperback. Interestingly, the back cover blurb has the headline 'Elric lives!'; this was the first instance of a publisher needing to convey to readers that death would indeed be no obstacle for Elric! The cover art of the Arrow edition of EOM is, infuriatingly, neither credited nor signed. Can't say I like the latter much - it makes Elric look like Peter Cushing. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X