Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Thanks to the contributors of this site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to the contributors of this site

Dear readers,

I am very much impressed with the development of this website. It's a place I've come to enjoy visiting. We are approaching it's 10th year in one form or another and as LSN has pointed out, we are rapidly approaching our 2000th member. The system itself has finally stablized and we have the generosity of both Mike and Axign hosting to thank for this. Summer time is the time of year when interest in this publication usually wanes and traffic dips. It did dip and suddenly resumed its normal traffic level. This suggests that we can expect our future normal traffic levels to increase at the beginning of Fall when students return to school. I attribute the dip to Mike's abscence from the site, the beginning of summer and the offline Prototype X activity.

The content at the site is better than ever. We've raised small amounts of money for people in need. We have seen pages from old publications that Mike hasn't seen in years. People from around the world are connecting to develop unique content like audio, art and text.

The nature of this technology enforces a kind survival of the fittest. The most relevant data becomes more and more dense for a period of time before that information is naturally relegated to its relevance in relation to an arbitrary search. The least relevant information is ignored and quickly drops off the page, as it should. This is the result of simple participation by other arbitrary factors: the readers and contributors of this forum. I believe that the most relevant or most popular, if you like, information reflects the calibur of readership and contributors, and the pair are sometimes the same. Over time the composition changes, naturally, and Moorcock's Miscellany (MM) changes, maintaining its relevance.

There have been and there are those who have made contributions to the site that have made it what it is now. Some volunteered. Some were invited. Here they are, our amazing Chaos Engineers:

آ· Marc J. Roth is our poll manager.
    آ· Maren Gebhardt is our audio engineer.
    آ· Dave Cohen is our archivist.
    آ· Kirk Starr is one of our Image Gallery managers.
    آ· Stuart Pike is one of our Image Gallery managers.
    آ· Krzysztof Janicz is one of our Image Gallery managers.
    آ· Matthew Leo is one of our Image Gallery managers.
    آ· Guy Lawley is one of our Image Gallery managers.
    آ· Mark Young is one of our Image Gallery managers.
    آ· David Mosley is our Moorcockopedia manager.
    آ· L_Stearns_Newburg (real name uknown, sans title) The Enclave at the End of Time's benevolent moderator.

Here are our Chaos Engineers alumni

آ· Demian Lackey
    آ· Mark Gardiner
    آ· Dave Del Riesgo
    آ· Joshua Hastings
    آ· Jason Farquhar
    آ· John Morales
    آ· Marie-Bernadette Strang
    آ· Miles Reid
    آ· Michael Reibsome
    آ· Leslie Dunne

As you might expect, a Chaos Engineer's participation isn't set and very few expectations are placed, and they perform tasks that suit them. If you haven't received an invitation to perform a specifc task, I hope you won't be insulted and remember that your continued visitation and participation is a part of what makes this the place that you come to. We all have our part and we seem to be jiving very well at the moment. A recent volunteer, demos99, has revived the Moorcockopedia, which has almost no information in it. Check out the first page he has developed: [broken link] and I think it shows us how these projects interact. I couldn't do it all myself, even if I wanted to. Instead, the contributions are beginning to blend together, making them better than their constituent pieces.

If you'd like to help demos99, contact me privately via the feedback link, and we'll get you on the same track. One blind spot we have here, is Mike's music career. If we could get a knowledgeable volunteer to create some pages for his music, many people would be appreciative. I know I would be.

Anyway, thanks for your contributions. You've all made this a better thing than I could have done alone.
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:43 AM.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Nice words Berry. We have a fine community of souls here on a site dedicated to one of the finest :) I think it's inevitable interest will dip a bit when Mike is away from the site, since people love conversing with him on a one-to-one basis and getting answers to their questions and Mike's opinions on things.

However, I think the site is evolving into a place where people want to go anyway, whether Mike is able to be there at a particular time or not. To talk, to add information and contributions and so on. There are still areas of the site that could do with more traffic, but I can see things evolving more and more over the months to come.

Berry, you've done a great job with the site, and all other contributors too. And of course we have Mike to thank for his inspiration and for his active participation. 8)
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

p.s. I've just checked out the link to the Moocockopedia and I'm blown away by it. That is truly excellent demos, great work, I love the image links and the quotes from Q&A, as well as the detail of the entry! Great, great work...
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

As a regular visitor, I appreciate (very much) what everyone has done and continues to do for this site. I wanted to add Berry to the list of people whose work should be recognized.

I should also add that Berry won't like that I've diverted attention away from others, and I certainly do not mean to minimize their contributions.

So feel free to delete this post, Berry :D

Comment

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
          p.s. I've just checked out the link to the Moocockopedia and I'm blown away by it. That is truly excellent demos, great work, I love the image links and the quotes from Q&A, as well as the detail of the entry! Great, great work...
          Aw shucks! :oops: Thanks for the kind words. I've now added the entry for "While The Gods Laugh" at [broken link] and hopefully will get the third Elric entry ("The Stealer of Souls") up some time next week.

One thing that I would be grateful to receive from anyone who knows is more details of the American publishing history of the stories/books. Being UK-based, I'm fairly familiar with Mike's British publications, less so with regards to the US paperbacks/hardbacks, etc. so all information gratefully received.

Likewise, if anyone spots an error or omission in any of the entries (Arioch knows I'm not infalliable ;)), pop a Feedback form back to Berry and I'm sure he'll pass it on to me. :)
          Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:44 AM.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

It is a great place, Berry, that you and Mike have opened for us. I appreciate also very much the internationality of it.
            All the best for the future!
            Google ergo sum

Comment

Thanks Berry for getting (and keeping!) the ball rolling. What amazes me about this site is how a common interest can bring together such diverse people from all over the world and produce so much interesting related and unrelated thought and creativity.

Certainly the author who brought us together has something major to do with this, there just aren't a lot of dull or mean people who read tons of Moorcock it seems. I am very mildly fearful about what the Elric movie will do as more "mainstream" people wander in who are newer to Michael's work. However, given the foundation Berry points to that's been created, hopefully the board will present a great opportunity for those folks to be educated (not just in Michael's books, but a whole lot of things!)

I never dreamt when I wandered in here that I would find a Frenchman living in Spain to trade cds and mp3s with or be invited to write something about my band for a British magazine (slowly working on it Perdix, hope issue #2 is an option), but those things have happened. It says a lot about Michael Moorcock as a writer and an individual that it's impossible for us to talk about his work with him or amongst ourselves without also talking about the world, the universe, and our personal realities!
              My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

I failed to note in the original post that there are those who help out anonymously. Those kind and unselfish spirits are due some gratitude as well.
                The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
                  Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
                  I've now added the entry for "While The Gods Laugh" at [broken link] and hopefully will get the third Elric entry ("The Stealer of Souls") up some time next week.
                  This article reflects what I've been working so hard towards. It really does represent what I've always intended the site to become.

Mike says:
                  “There was a real person upon whom Moonglum was based. He's one of my closest friends. He's also the person on whom a couple of other characters were based.�
                  (Discover who Mike’s talking about here.)
                  (Q&A Archive Article #3145)
                  This passage from demos99's Moorcockopedia piece is one link in a chain that creates what people are really going to be interested in reading in the future. Both in this forum and the old Q&A people were mining Mike for information. This information is suspended in different contexts, waiting for it to surface again via a search or someone's recollection. Now when we create content at the site, the authors of it have only to search the site and put Mike's own words into this more formal and historical context. That goes for images as well, even audio.

If you'd like to get in on the act, contact me via the Feedback link and I'll be able to set you up.
                  Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:45 AM.

Comment

I had a feeling about Moonglum and Tallow being based on a certain someone. I was going to put something in Q&A and didn't know Mike had already answered the question. Will have to do more searching!

Comment

I just move a few pictures around. I think the Moorcockopedia entries by demos look absolutely fantastic. (PWV I think you may have a rival for master of the site-search! :) ) I can't imagine how they could be improved in format. If it could ever be complete it would make an amazing e-book. Imagine all that information at your fingertips!
                      Well done and thank you, demos, I shall watch its evolution with great interest.
                      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I'm so glad that Berry has finally published a list of the culprits I can hold responsible for making this site such a time-thief. You'll be hearing from my lawyers. Darn you all to heck! :D
                        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
                          ... One thing that I would be grateful to receive from anyone who knows is more details of the American publishing history of the stories/books. Being UK-based, I'm fairly familiar with Mike's British publications, less so with regards to the US paperbacks/hardbacks, etc. so all information gratefully received. ...
                          There's some useful data at Locus, but mining it might be exhausting...

Also the isfdb.

Maybe you could add links to these entries from the Elric of Melnibonأ© entry... ?

"The Dreaming City" and "While the Gods Laugh" (along with the other stories from Science Fantasy - i.e., The Stealer of Souls stories and Stormbringer) - have also been published in the UK in Elric (Orion/Gollancz 2001), Volume 17 in the Fantasy Masterworks series.

In the US, both were published in The Weird of the White Wolf (Berkley 1977 pb, cover by Gould; DAW 1977 pb, cover by Whelan) - as republished in the UK by Grafton - and republished in the US twice, again by Berkley (1983; as Elric Saga #3), and by Ace (1997); also in the White Wolf EC omnibus Elric: Song of the Black Sword (1995 hb & 1997 pb).

Ciao,
                          Ant

Comment

@ demos99: I've made several edits to my previous post and just wanted to makes sure they weren't overlooked!

Oh, and I should have said before: Great work! [broken link]

Gr.,
                            Ant
                            Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                              @ demos99: I've made several edits to my previous post and just wanted to makes sure they weren't overlooked!
                              Got 'em. :)

Btw, for those interested in such things, I've just added the first of the 'Biographicals' that I want to feature in the Moorcockopedia. [broken link]
                              Hopefully, in time we'll get more entries up for people associated in one way or another with Mike's works.
                              Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:46 AM.
                              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
                              X