Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Moorcock's Miscellany on Amazon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Typhoid_Mary
    Little Voice
    • Jun 2004

Moorcock's Miscellany on Amazon

Just found this on Amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1845291093/

Read the synopsis. It sounds excellent!

It's also listed at play.com:

http://www.play.com/Play247.asp?pa=s...ny&page=search
  • Marca
    Eternal Champion
    • Aug 2004

It does sound excellent. What's it all about? Mike? Berry? :?:
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
      Site Host
      • Dec 2003

At the moment it's about 1030 pages and they're asking me to cut it!
      They asked for a 'Mammoth' miscellany but apparently they only want a baby elephant. Don't know what the final book will contain, though it is pretty much as described -- Checkov, Katherine Mansfield, Rafael Sabatini, Anthony Skene. All good writers who, maybe not surprisingly, don't seem disparate when you put them all together. But no distinction, as such, between 'literary' fiction and 'popular' fiction. I'm about to begin trying to cut the bugger by 30%. A hard job and a sad one.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• David Mosley
        Eternal Administrator
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
        At the moment it's about 1030 pages and they're asking me to cut it!...I'm about to begin trying to cut the bugger by 30%. A hard job and a sad one.
        I don't suppose there's any mileage in doing what Quentin Tarantino did with Kill Bill and dividing it into 'Moorcock's Miscellany Vol. 1' and 'Moorcock's Miscellany Vol. 2'?
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Ant
          Ant
          Eternal Companion
          • Dec 2003

Except, of course, Kill Bill would have been greatly improved by cutting 30%!

Gr.,
          Ant

Comment

• Typhoid_Mary
            Little Voice
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
            At the moment it's about 1030 pages and they're asking me to cut it!
            Why?

It's infuriating. I want those three hundred-odd pages left in!

Comment

• Thongor
              Barbarian Swordsman
              • Apr 2005

Jeez, I'm still looking forward to reading it, but now that I know how big it could have been it's kind of frustrating...

Charles

Comment

• Whiskers
                flying cat
                • Nov 2003

Mike, do you have an editor on this one, or are you wrapping it yourself? Sounds like maybe the editor or publisher are in touch with what will sell, eh?
                The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

• Dead-Air
                  Eternal Champion
                  • Jun 2004

Perhaps you can eventually publish the outtakes here on your website? After we all buy the book of course...
                  My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
                    Site Host
                    • Dec 2003

I submitted it knowing it was big, but they took their time telling me and everything was left to the last minute. However, I've now cut the book and still think it's a good one, with a lot of interesting stuff from the 1840s on, including some interesting curiousities of scientific prediction, stuff about the socalled Jewish Question reflecting changing attitudes, stuff about flying at various periods (some speculative, some not) plus a very wide range of fiction, most of which I haven't collected before, though I couldn't resist one of my favourites The Abduction of Alexandra Seine, an sf story from the days when flight was still speculative. I originally ran this in England Invaded or its companion Before Armageddon. Very little of the visual material has been maintained, which is a shame since the great John Coulthart was engaged to do the design. Publisher should have corrected and cut proofs by this coming Monday, all being well.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
                    X