Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Eternal Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eternal Champion

Where can I find a complete list of the Eternal Champion books, including Silverheart and The White Wolf's Son?

The most comprehensive list I've seen, is here on the site at:

[broken link]

I can't look at it for too long, because it makes my credit card weep real tears...
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 01:56 PM.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Eternal Champion

Perhaps Mike would consider compiling a full list for this site?

Comment

Re: Eternal Champion

Originally posted by AlanN
        Where can I find a complete list of the Eternal Champion books, including Silverheart and The White Wolf's Son?
        Is Silverheart properly considered part of the EC cycle? I could be wrong about this, but I thought Mike mentioned in a post somewhere that he doesn't think of it as part of the EC cycle proper and it's more an an apocrypha?

(If I get time I'll re-do the searches I made last week when I was looking for information on SH (had just bought a copy on eBay) and see if I can't find the actual reference.)
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Re: Eternal Champion

Perhaps Mike would consider compiling a full list for this site?
          Various people have tried to compile a full list, not least John Davey (with his Michael Moorcock: A Reader's Guide, which I bought in Forbidden Planet in '92 and still find invaluable) but the definitive list still awaits. As well as the link Dee gave you previously, you can also investigate the Bibliography, which you can find at [broken link] or by following the link at the top of each page.

Basically though, if you're after the Eternal Champion list, the answer all depends on how far you want to take it I think. Practically everything Mike's written can be construed as involving the EC in some way or another, if you so wish.

As a baseline, you can start with the 14 volumes of The Tale of the Eternal Champion (beginning with Vol. 1 - Von Bek, and ending with Vol. 14 - Count Brass) and then add the Albino trilogy* on to the end (Dreamthief's Daughter, Skrayling Tree & White Wolf's Son).

But, of course, that still leaves you with the Michael Kane trilogy, the Jerry Cornelius tetralogy/short stories/novellas, the Second Ether trilogy and Behold the Man/Breakfast in the Ruins, which can arguably be considered part of the cycle but are less 'fantasy' orientated than the 14 Volume set is.

Then there's the SF novels like Black Corridor, Rituals of Infinity, etc. that are obliquely related to the EC cycle. Oh, and there's the Jerry Cornell comic capers as well, don't forget.

From there you move into the more 'literary' works, which include:
          The Brothel in Rosenstrasse, The Golden Barge, Gloriana, Mother London
          King of the City, and the Pyat tetralogy. Whether these should be included in the EC cycle is debatable - I think some people choose to and other people don't.

Anyway, hope that helps some.

Cheers,
          David

*That's just what I call it. Other's may prefer the 'Oona/Von Bek Trilogy' or some other descriptor. I think we're still waiting for the definitive overall name. :)
          Last edited by Rothgo; 04-13-2010, 11:46 AM.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

AlanN

I'm not too worried about the books with vague leanings toward the Eternal Champion, just the main books.

Is there anywhere I can find a complete Moorcock bibliography - of all his books. I'm never sure whether the ones on websites are complete or not? Does the one on this site contain all his works?

Comment

Re: AlanN

I'm not too worried about the books with vague leanings toward the Eternal Champion, just the main books.
              Are you after the EC Omnibus 'main books' or the individual titles?

If you're reading the omnibuses then it's probably:
              • 1. Von Bek
                2. The Eternal Champion
                3. Hawkmoon (aka The History of the Runestaff)
                4. Corum (Corum: The Coming of Chaos in US) (aka The Swords of Corum)
                5. Sailing to Utopia
                6. A Nomad of the Time Streams (aka The Nomad of Time)
                7. The Dancers at the End of Time
                8. Elric of Melnibonأ© (Elric: Song of the Black Sword in the US)
                ~ The Roads Between the Worlds [only in US omnibus series]
                ~ Kane of Old Mars [only in US omnibus series] ('Warrior of Mars' in UK)
                9. The New Nature of the Catastrophe
                10. The Prince with the Silver Hand (aka The Chronicles of Corum)
                11. Legends from the End of Time
                12. Stormbringer (Elric: The Stealer of Souls in US)
                13. Earl Aubec
                14. Count Brass (aka The Chronicles of Castle Brass)

then add:

The Dreamthief's Daughter
                The Skrayling Tree
                The White Wolf's Son

If you're looking for the individual books then I suggest you check out [broken link] as it's really too long and involved to list them all here.

Is there anywhere I can find a complete Moorcock bibliography - of all his books. I'm never sure whether the ones on websites are complete or not? Does the one on this site contain all his works?
              I know that the Bibliography here seems to miss London Bone from Mike's list of novels, although I've posted an Update comment about this so it should be corrected some time.

The problem with a complete bibliography isn't listing all the books Mike has had published, it's more sorting out the different titles the same book sometimes has. For instance, Phoenix in Obsidian in the UK is known as The Silver Warriors in the US, so while it looks like two books, it's in fact just one.

The other thing is that some of the short story collections mix their contents. Three of the stories in 'Lunching with the Antichrist' are included in 'London Bone', which contains other stories not in LWTA. Likewise, 'Firing the Cathedral' is a novella that is now included on the latest edition of 'The Lives and Times of Jerry Cornelius'.

In other words, compiling a complete (and accurate) bibliography of Mike's work is something of a minefield.
              Last edited by Rothgo; 04-13-2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

I feel Jerry would have to be included in the list of EC books. At least the four main books, anyway. The books are based in many different variations of the multiverse. Many of the descriptions of the multiverse in Mike's books try to convey how similar they can be but with subtle differences, and this is evident in the JC books.
                Good work too, demos, it isn't easy trying to convince someone they should buy everything an author has written!
                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

John Davey's A Readers Guide remains, of course, the best complete bibliography, though I don't know when it was last updated. Time Centre Times contains information about books and other stuff published more recently. John's is the bibliography I always refer readers to. Not sure if a simplified version exists on the web or not.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                  The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                  The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Eternal Champion

Thanks all. I do own all the omnibus editions invarious guises, included two Von Bek volumes, one which contains The Dragon in the Sword where the other one doesn't.

I've always thought 'Phoenix in Obsidian' a great title. I wonder why it was changed for the U.S market?

Incidentally, speaking of the individual titles, I have so many of the old Mayflower and Grafton (and Granada)paperbacks that I'm unsure if I own all the individual books or not - I will go through them all one day.

Comment

The US publisher clearly didn't like Phoenix in Obsidian (my title) and changed it to the working title, The Silver Warriors. It came out without my knowledge under that title (from Dell, as I recall). Great Frazetta cover mollified me a little...

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                        The Silver Warriors.
                        Ick. "Phoenix in Obsidian" is such a cooler title.
                        It came out without my knowledge under that title (from Dell, as I recall). Great Frazetta cover mollified me a little...
                        It blows me away that they can release your stuff without your complete approval. An author ought to have veto rights on anything concerning his intellectual property. Publishers doing whatever they want tends to lead to travesties like [link expired]. :roll:
                        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                          ... It blows me away that they can release your stuff without your complete approval. An author ought to have veto rights on anything concerning his intellectual property....
                          Ah, but then there are companies like [link expired]. Sorry, Mike.

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                          Publishers doing whatever they want tends to lead to travesties like [link expired]. :roll:
                          The story behind that has been [link expired]...
                          Sadly Barry Windsor Smith had only seen an old paperback representation of Elric so drew him in this very odd pointy hat. I was never particularly pleased with that version and Barry always said he wanted to draw another Elric sometime closer to how I'd imagined him. He reasonably thought I'd had some input into the Jack Caughan cover, which I had never liked.
                          Ciao,
                          Ant

PS. Yes, I'm just trying to show that I can get
                          SEARCH to work...

Comment

You have learned well the method of Search-Fu, young grasshopper. I have nothing more to teach you. It is time for you to leave the temple. :P
                            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

AlanN

Were the Mayflower and Grafton books ever published in hardback?

Comment

Working...
                              X