Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Multiverse´s creator(?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiverse´s creator(?)

Hi Michael. Iآ´m new here so this is an old question. I once read an interview where you said you created the term (multiverse) and then everybody started using it. Is that true? I feel a little heretic saying this but :oops: I thought you were lying. So?

No, I wasn't lying. For what it's worth I also created the Chaos symbol and some of the other stuff that's gone into common usage. That said, William James invented the word to describe a more philosophical concept concerning individual consciousness and John Cowper Powys might possibly have used it before me in one of his late books. I first used the word in a professionally published story to describe an infinity of connecting parallel universes in The Sundered Worlds and its sequel The Blood Red Game first published in Science Fiction Adventures, published in the early 60s in book form as The Sundered Worlds and later as The Blood Red Game. The idea of the Eternal Champion was developed a little earlier in a story first written in 1957. The term 'multiverse' became very popular in comics and was later taken up by physicists. I made some effort to describe my ideas in non-fiction in an introduction done for Michael Moorcock's Multiverse, a graphic novel published by DC in 1999, as I recall.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Oxford English

This article is our second most read currently:

[broken link]
      Last edited by Rothgo; 04-21-2010, 01:56 PM.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Ah yes, but do the other planes of the Multiverse all actually exist or are they simply unrealised possibilities, perhaps like the infinite planes of possibilites in our own imaginations? After all nothing unreal exists...but sometimes I think, therefore I do, for now.

The Prince :)

Comment

You were the one who created the Chaos Symbol? Oh My God!!! I use it all the time.

Me and my friends created a group called "Children of Chaos" and we use your Chaos symbol. But, instead of seeing it first somewhere, we created it! Yeah, my fried Alessio mixed the rune of good (Law) with some other rune I don't remember as they were described in a RPG world called Titan (by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone) and he created something he called the Chaos Rune (later we found out that it already existed... and now we discovered that it was created by you). Cool huh?
          \\

Comment

Speaks for the group unconscious, eh ? I came up with it when I was writing Stormbringer, as I recall, needing a symbol which would describe all possibilities as well as entropy. I rather like Walter Simon's assymetric version of the symbol in the Multiverse graphic novel. Good point about the other planes and whether they exist until discovered.
            I've also used the whole idea, of course, as symbolic of the human mind's infinite creative processes and our ability to exist in more than one 'world' at the same time. I don't know if the term 'intratemporal' was used before I concocted it in the Elric stories, but I like the idea of events all occurring at the same time, only separated by scale (as in the multiverse) or distance. Makes us ask 'what is time'. Is it merely a convenient construct, a shared illusion ?

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

And what about space? Speaking of shared illusions; could everything happen at the same time and place? I first read about "correspondence" in White Wolfآ´s Mage: the oblivion RPG. The correspondence point, the only place, I like that.

Comment

Time

Some thoughts at bed time...

Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn.

Without the arrow of time consciousness could not exist at all, but does time exist without a conscious observer?

We never have enough time and even the richest man cannot buy one minute more time.

The Hopi Indians have no word in their language for "time".

Only the world of the present instant of time exists and is real. The future is always in the future and yet to be created and the past is always in the past and hence no longer exists.

Aristotle first asked, "does time exist?"
                Feynman said, "dont ask me what time is".

Time is a point of reference that we can all agree on, within a sequence of events as energy moves from one state to another.

The Planck length is the scale at which classical ideas about gravity and space-time cease to be valid, and quantum effects dominate. This is the �quantum of length’, the smallest measurement of length with any meaning. And roughly equal to 1.6 x 10-35 m or about 10-20 times the size of a proton.
                The Planck time is the time it would take a photon travelling at the speed of light to across a distance equal to the Planck length. This is the �quantum of time’, the smallest measurement of time that has any meaning, and is equal to 10-43 seconds. No smaller division of time has any meaning. With in the framework of the laws of physics as we understand them today, we can say only that the universe came into existence when it already had an age of 10-43 seconds.

In the tenth second of forever,
                I thought of the sea and a white yacht drifting...
                In the ninth second of forever,
                I thought of a leaf, a stone,
                the plastic fragment of a child's toy...
                In the eighth second of forever,
                I remembered a warm room where voices played...
                In the seventh second of forever,
                I thought of the life I would not lead...
                In the sixth second of forever,
                I saw your mouth whispering something I could hear...
                In the fifth second of forever,
                I thought of the vermilion deserts of Mars,
                The jewelled forests of Venus...
                In the fourth second of forever,
                I could remember nothing that I did not love...
                In the third second of forever,
                I thought of rain against a window, I thought of the wind...
                In the second second of forever,
                I thought of the pair of broken shades lying on the tarmac...
                In the first and final second of forever,
                I thought of the long past that had led to now,
                and never... never... never... never... (Bob Calvert)
                In the zeroth second and final instant of forever,
                the fearful veil of darkness descends as conscious thought fades
                and the infinite moment of non existance begins... will I dream?

Goodnight!

Comment

Time is an agony of now... The Lords of Law when they go mad would stop time. Would you live the last moment of your life forever ?
                  Nice to see Calvert quoted.

Comment

Well what ever happens I guess we will not have much choice in the matter, but in this case forever would be over in an instant... and who knows perhaps like the conservation of energy where energy is neither created nor destroyed, perhaps conservation of consciousness may also apply though the concept known as Gaia... just musing!

Mike, yes I respect Bob alot more these days and I never had the chance to tell him, only meeting him briefly during the Hawklords Ebbw Vale concert, which the history books say never happened. For some reason though I thought you also contributed to this poem which was used in the Space Ritual set.

He is perhaps more relevant than ever right now with Uncle Sam on Mars looking for life and also Bush's recent loose directive to work towards sending men there. I wonder if they will find John Carter, the Warlord of Mars at Helium with Tars Tarkas and the hoards of giant green men?

Shoals of dead fish float on the lakes,
                    but Uncle Sam's on Mars
                    And science is making the same mistakes,
                    but Uncle Sam's on Mars
                    No one down here knows how to work the brakes,
                    but Uncle Sam's on Mars

Uncle Sam's on Mars, Uncle Sam's on Mars, Uncle Sam's on
                    Mars, he's on Mars

Layers of smoke in the atmosphere have made the earth
                    too hot to bear
                    The Earth might be a desert soon, America has left
                    the Moon

Uncle Sam's on Mars, Uncle Sam's on Mars, Uncle Sam's on
                    Mars, he's on Mars

He's digging for dreams in the red sand
                    He's got his bucket and spade in his left hand
                    He's digging for dreams
                    He's looking for life

What's he doing out there?
                    He's looking for life
                    Looking for life
                    There may be life out there

(Nixon to Armstrong - July 21st 1969:)
                    I'm talking to you by telephone from the Oval Room in the White House.
                    And this certainly must be the most exciting telephone
                    call ever made here on Earth. I just can't tell
                    you how proud we all are. For every American this
                    has to be the proudest day of their lives. And
                    for people all over the world, I'm sure they too
                    join with us in recognising what a tremendous
                    achievement this is. For one priceless moment
                    in the whole history of Man......

MacDonalds Hamburger
                    Construction works
                    And he's looking for life
                    Looking for life to wipe out
                    He's looking for life to stamp out
                    He's looking for life to grind out
                    He's looking for life, so mind out

I hope you brought your credit card with you, and I hope you know how to
                    drive on these long, lonely freeways and intersections we've got up
                    here. We've got two cars in the garage, two cars in the garage, and
                    drum-majorettes in white ankle socks and baton twirling on Sundays.
                    We've got stripes and the stars and Uncle Sam's on, Uncle Sam's on, Uncle
                    Sam's on, Mars....

Bob Calvert

Comment

Bob used the opening from The Black Corridor, but I don't think I had anything to do with Forever. As they say about the sixties (and for that matter a large chunk of the seventies) if you can remember them you probably weren't there. I still get told I did stuff I don't remember doing and every so often I come across short stories I've almost completed and then forgotten about, particularly in old Word files where I never kept a hard copy. I really liked Bob's work and was proud to work with him on various records, including Lucky Leif and Hype. A talented bloke but without an awful lot of self-discipline. I used to threaten to chain him to the desk and not let him have any food or drink until he'd done a certain amount of work. But when he did work, it was usually great stuff which came out. Yes, it's funny how so much of that stuff we were doing seems prescient. The same factors apply, no doubt.
                      Of course, Bradbury, Sheckley, Ballard and even Pohl and Kornbluth anticipated most of the current policy and rhetoric of the US government forty, fifty, even sixty years ago. I'm still surprised at how accurate 'soft' sf (socially oriented sf, maybe) was about the future compared to 'hard' sf. We are all living in Philip K. Dick world now.

Comment

I actually have quite a soft spot for Lucky Leif, although I recall I had a hard time explaining it to my heavy metal space ritual friends at the time!
                        Some beautilful lyrics and music...

Brave New World

See that fine
                        full fresh river that's a flowin'
                        like the place that I'll be goin'
                        on the day I die.
                        That red-wood tree
                        growing higher than a masthead
                        won't allow no force to blast it
                        's branches from the sky.
                        This morning dew, don't it take like wine to you
                        in this brand-new world so brave and true.
                        This golden corn is gleaming like it's just been born
                        in a brave new world, a brave new world ... out of the blue
                        See that fat
                        salmon swimming in the water
                        has anybody
                        ever caught a
                        fish like that at all ?
                        There's herds of deer
                        and droves of Buffalo a roamin'
                        it's enough to do your dome in
                        it's A merical !
                        Feel that sun
                        like a great gold gong that's beating,
                        like a brass-bell fanfare greeting
                        summoning the day.
                        And hear that bird
                        unfurls its song and hoist it flying
                        like a flag that's testifying
                        more than words can say.

Comment

At this rate you're going to have to start paying my ex-wife and Bob's widow royalties! A great, thoroughly under-appreciated album which was enormous fun to work on, with Brian Eno doing the producing. I wanted to put new strings on my banjo for Moonshine on the Mountain, but Brian insisted it sounded better with the old strings. I hadn't played banjo for about five years when I did that! Lucky Leif is probably my favourite Calvert album. Heavy metal fans expected something different from both me and Calvert, I recall. And a lot of people who weren't metal heads wouldn't listen to us because they thought we were head bangers. That's the way it always goes. But Leif sails on!

Comment

Re: MARS

I cant wait to try out the martian's cuisine, I imagine it to be really spicy and use lots of red louisiana hot sauce on everything they serve. I Wonder if their water tastes good, probably better than NY water? I also bet they know a thing or two about warm winter clothing, especially when skiing down Mount Olympus Mons.

Seriously though, I wouldnt mind visiting there myself, its sure to be an amazing and inspiring moment for mankind. I think mankind will eventually be able to live there permanently, I really do. It is good to have a second home for insurance in case the first one suffers a calamity. I guess the argument is that there are more pressing things that need doing here at home, like getting Bush un-elected, nevertheless the imaginative explorer in me is somewhat inspired.

I must admit I am getting fed up that as usual that the scientists and engineers seem to get little credit for this kind of miraculas enterprise. Anybody would think from the media coverage that it was the politicians and accountants (bean counters hehe!) that do it all by sorting out these really complex budgets and funding problems?!? Those guys must be miracle workers!

Comment

So, Mike created the Multiverse eh? Is there no end to his talents?
                              by the way....did it take you long?

Comment

Working...
                              X