Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Jerry Cornell's Comic Capers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Cornell's Comic Capers

Is this book one of Amazon's famous "ghosts"? Or does it actually exist?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...143757-2486216

Searching for the ISBN, 1904853188, on Google turns up a few hits.

This is a POD book from Immanion Press... but I can't find a website for them.

From the synopsis, it sounds like a reprint of The Chinese Agent...

Cheers,
    Ant

Comment

Thanks, Ant. I was surprised to stumble on this book's Amazon listing, as I'd never heard of it. I would have expected to read about it in this very venue!

Yus, sounds like Chinese Agent and Russian Intelligence in one volume.

Anyone own a copy?

How are the production values?

Mike, is the first of your works to get the POD treatment?

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
        This is a POD book from Immanion Press... but I can't find a website for them.
        http://www.immanionpress.wox.org/immanion/home.htm

Comment

Thanks, TM... Clearly, I didn't look hard enough. :oops:

You can get a 25-page preview of the JC book as a PDF.

And the title page confirms what Guy said...
          Jerry Cornell’s
          Comic Capers
          Bringing together �The Chinese Agent’ and �The
          Russian Intelligence’
          Gr.,
          Ant

Comment

On a sidenote, which I meant to bring up some time ago (and this seems as good as any), the Orion/Millenium inside cover listings of Mike's works give a 'with Jack Trevor Story' credit to the Cornell books. Anyone know what input Story had on them? Since Mike has been giving credit to Jim Cawthorn on Elric reprints, I wondered if this was a case of Jack doing the outlines or something? Certainly the books aren't 'typical' Moorcock. Not sure if this has been covered here before.
            'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

I hadn’t spotted that, Aral. I did a wee search and found this quote from Our Esteemed Patron Mike himself:

“…and also did another series for Compact (Hank Janson's publisher) which began with a book called The LSD Dossier (Nick Allard), a total rewrite of another author's book, which appeared under his name. Roger something. None of this is secret. The other Allards were revised and came out as The Chinese Agent and The Russian Intelligence (Jerry Cornell) -- they were comedy thrillers. Three more Cornell books were planned, with Jack Trevor Story, who was adapting three of his comedy thrillers as Jerry Cornell books.�

This is how I remembered things; i.e. no Cornell book with any content by JTS actually ever got published. Mike credits someone else, I forget whom, not JTS, with helping him rewrite from Allard to Cornell, but it must have been mainly just changing the names.

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley
                Mike credits someone else, I forget whom, not JTS, with helping him rewrite from Allard to Cornell, but it must have been mainly just changing the names.
                Graham Hall (according to the TRI 'Author's Note).
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Sadly, Graham died before we could write the third (or fourth, depending on how you see it) Cornell book. I had proposed the project in the hope of getting him focussed on something but he wasn't really up to it. The
                  Abyssinian Agent, I seem to remember, was our working title.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                  The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                  The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I was thoroughly pissed off with Orion, who copped out on publishing the Cornell books. The other titles were Jack's rewritten as Cornells. I delivered the manuscript and they then decided (without letting me know for months) that they weren't going to do them. This was perhaps the first time I realised Orion spoke with forked tongue. They have been doing so ever since, in many ways. This isn't the place to list their vices and faults, but I remain astonished at how MANY lies they've told me and other authors over the years. Anyway, when the current POD publisher wanted to do them, I thought they might as well, but they couldn't include Jack's books. My plan had been to try to relaunch Jack's comedy thrillers on the back of the Cornell books. But to make this work the books had to be in the shops. Otherwise, Jack's comedy thrillers can
                    easily stand on their own. I still have plans to try to get those comedies reprinted because they are VERY funny, as you know Guy. Not all are that strong on their own but would work well in an anthology. However, as we know, comedies involving petit bourgeois or working class characters don't seem to interest the middle class middle brow publisher.
                    I still hope, of course, that the Age of the Tallyman will again be recorded in available editions through Jack's work. About the only in print author I know who touched on such things was Nell Dunn in Up The Junction, but it was Jack who was the true recorder of that lost history.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

All is becoming clear on the Story connection. Mike, would you have left Jack's originals as they were and just changed the names, or would you have added something of your own to them?
                      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Well, Jack didn't get very far with the idea, of course. However there were two books which were turned into Cornell stories and which had some new material. Needless to say, Jack's sense of humour was a great influence on my comedy thrillers, so in a sense there wasn't a huge amount of work to do. I can't tell you how much now because Orion never returned the manuscripts! You can probably see why I'm so fed up about their behaviour!

Comment

I wrote three Nick Allard books for Compact in the mid sixties. One was a rewrite of someone else's book THE LSD DOSSIER, which was frankly a dog's breakfast. The other two I decided to write as comedies and were all my own work SOMEWHERE IN THE NIGHT and PRINTERS DEVIL under a pseudonym which has just slipped my mind. I then rewrote the first one for Hutchinson and in the US for Macmillan as The Chinese Agent. I then rewrote the second as The Russian Intelligence for Savoy and then for NEL in the UK. There was supposed to be a third written with Graham Hall to be called THE ABYSSINIAN QUESTION (as I recall), but Graham died before we could get very far with the project. The two best ones have been done as POD, after the Orion cop out. Ironically, these were always two of my very best selling titles! For some time The Chinese Agent outsold the Elric books! But publishers always think my non-fantasy won't sell as well. Let's hope Cape/Vintage have more success with the Pyat books which, by the way, have absolutely brilliant covers. I'd say they were the best covers Pyat's ever had and maybe some of the best I've ever had on any book. Everyone who has seen them agrees. They'll all be out in January. I haven't seen copies of the Cornell books yet, actually. Was hoping they'd send me some to Paris, but nothing so far. They were ready a while ago as I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                            The other two I decided to write as comedies and were all my own work SOMEWHERE IN THE NIGHT and PRINTERS DEVIL under a pseudonym which has just slipped my mind.
                            Bill Barclay.

Comment

To confirm that it does exist I ordered one from Amazon last week and it dropped through the letterbox a few says later. Not got round to reading yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X