Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Interview - N.M.E. Magazine 1974

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview - N.M.E. Magazine 1974

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69.../moorcock1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69.../moorcock2.jpg

This is something a friend of mine from Finland found in his attic It may be of interest.
    ‘In real life people do not spend every minute shooting each other, hanging themselves or making declarations of love. They don’t spend every minute saying clever things. Rather they eat, drink, flirt, talk nonsense."

I can't believe nobody's replied to your post, Blackbeard, it's a fantastic find!
    I see Mike says in the text that he has just written the last EC book. Seems a familiar theme with him, doesn't it?
    What a shame we didn't know about the illustration when he was looking for a new avatar. It would have been perfect!

Berry, do you think it would be ok to add it to the gallery?
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

8O I swear I never saw your post.
      what has your friend done with it?

Comment

Yes, great to see this old interview. Thanks for posting
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

I tell you what, that Mike had some cool duds, eh? Top jacket, fab hat. It's like the pictures on-set for The Final Pogramme with Jon Finch, etc. I mean, I really want to know what was in that bag...there's a competition we could run - What Was In Mike's Bag In 1973? I reckon it was a paperback of Gormenghast; Some non-toxic herbal tobacco; Una Persson's mascara; a pack of Rickenbacker strings; a tin of 'Felix'; half the manuscript of 'Warlord OTA'; a Wagon-Wheel (confection, not actual); an elixir of imagination and joy; and a spare wide-brimmed hat as a present for Terry Pratchett.

Sorry, I've been drinking again. Thanks for the post, Blackbeard! It's nice to see the NME got its text justification wonky in places, too, occassionally! It's not just me. Oops.

>Drifts off mumbling<

Comment

> Wanders back like dysphoric hobo<

Blimey! I was six when that interview was written!

Bliiimey!

Comment

I was an underclassman at university, and I remember that period well. It was already at the "end" of the New Wave, and sf was at a crossroads of sorts.

LSN

Comment

Coincidentally, I was just reading (ie today) 'NW3' (the paperback) after remembering my Dad reading it when it was new, at this time (good construction, there, Perdix - obviously you're an editor....). MM and MJ Harrison write on the contemplation of the very crossroads of which you speak, LSN (not that I could appreciate their arguments in 1973, of course, 'cos I was really ickle).

I'm giving up. I've lost the vestiges of coherence.

Comment

Of course Guv.
                  The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Hey, I've got that edition of NW quarterly, and read it when it was new. (It came out circa late 1971, if memory serves, when I was a wee bairn nearing graduation from high school.)

I remember reading their remarks with interest but some uncertainty. I had a sense that what they said was true, but they were in the "trenches" whereas I was a mere consumer of literature. There's an inevitable time delay between the trends they were seeing, and the situation we readers experienced. Superficially, it seemed as if the New Wave was still at its height. Marvelous, challenging new work was still coming out. There were a number of original anthologies and quality quaterlies (NW, Quark, Orbit) coming out regularly that published challenging new work.

But little did we dream. Moorcock and Harrison and Langdon Jones clearly already knew what the rest of us would discover in the next few years.

Oh, well. Another alternate history time line is buried in all this.

LSN

Comment

Thanks, Berry. :)

They'll be Limbo for now, everyone.
                      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
                        They'll be Limbo for now, everyone.
                        How cool is that?
                        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Now you've got me worried, Berry. The links still work, don't they?

Comment

Never imagined that Mr. M was so . . . well endowed 8O

And I mean NEVER 8O 8O
                            Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Originally posted by DeepFixer
                              Never imagined that Mr. M was so . . . well endowed
                              And doesn't he look so pleased about it?

Incidentally, just in case Berry has jinxed the ones above , here are the links to the images in Limbo -

[link expired]

Clicking on the image gets another where one can read the text (if you squint.) (Or am I just getting old?)

Comment

Working...
                              X