Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Moorcock Bookmark Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moorcock Bookmark Project

So, an idea is brewing, and we'd like to get this project going. Very soon PWV will update this thread with a tutorial and a link to a special image album. So here's the idea.

1) You use your favorite graphics tool to create as many bookmarks according to your own specification as you like.

2) You post your bookmarks to an album here.

3) The readers of Moorcock download your image file and print the bookmarks out.

4) That reader goes to his/her local bookshops (chain or used) and seeds the Moorcock books on the shelves with the bookmarks.

The only request for your bookmarks is that you incorporate "Moorcock's Miscellany" and "http://www.multiverse.org/" into your design, so that people can return to the site and let us know that they found the bookmark. The great part of this idea is that you will be able to produce foreign language bookmarks and get them into the hands of those who read the language.

Your thoughts, comments and contributions are great desired. I hope you'll tell us what you are thinking.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Once I'm done with the Prototype X art I have on my plate, I'm so all over this!

Question: what is a good size?

I'd imagine that you'd want the bookmark to remain hidden inside the book, lest the bookseller spot it and remove it, right? Perhaps the bookmarks should be relatively short if they are intended for paperbacks? Just a thought.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

This is a really cool idea :D Unfortunately I'm not very good with Photoshop but well done to you guys for thinking this up! It could get a lot more fans on the site!

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
        Once I'm done with the Prototype X art I have on my plate, I'm so all over this!

Question: what is a good size?

I'd imagine that you'd want the bookmark to remain hidden inside the book, lest the bookseller spot it and remove it, right? Perhaps the bookmarks should be relatively short if they are intended for paperbacks? Just a thought.
        That's an excellent question, and, straddling a fence here, I say any size that makes a good design. I hesitate to put too many stipulations on the bookmark.

I want to point out that some people will only feel comfortable if they can put those bookmarks into books if they've gotten permission from the booksellers. This makes sense, and that could be an avenue for booksellers to influence the design. "You can if it's within reason."

Speaking for myself, I may not seek permission in all cases, but seeking permission is certainly of the kind of positive spirit we would like to perpetuate. It would be a shame if booksellers came to the site complaining that we are spamming their books. So, my official stance is, please seek permission before inserting your bookmarks.
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

In the end I think most booksellers who really do the job because they love books would certainly not object to that, so if you are in a small bookshop, or a shop dedicated entirely to books I think they would let you do it for sure. But if it was a shop like WH Smith or other big chain that doesnt just sell books then the owners might not be particularly passionate about books and may not want you for one reason or other.
          In the end I think that asking is the best thing to do, you could even leave the bookshop owner with a stack of the bookmarks which he could give to people when they bought a Michael Moorcock book or whatever.
          I think this will be a most enjoyable way to attract more members!

Comment

Aw, geez. You guys take all the fun out of everything. :P
            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Well, as a bookseller, I will be inserting the bookmarks into all of Mike's books I have in stock myself. I would also envisage having some on my counter so anyone who fancied the design could take one. Size really doesn't matter in my case - as long as it looks good. It could be short, long, fat, skinny - as long as the proportions are right for the artwork. I think I'll be making up all the designs initially and see what people in my area in Canada prefer :)

Ken.
              Ken Boorman
              Purveyor of the Runestaff and Stormbringer Legends

Comment

Well the major problem I have with this is the fact that I am likely the single most prolific book buyer of Moorcock material in Calgary. Though I am all over this otherwise, and would be happy to contribute. I know I can talk major booksellers into letting me insert these bookmarks, especially if there is no cost to them. I have no problem with laying out a few bucks to get Kinko's to laserprint some bookmarks on cardstock. I know at least one Moorcock fan at work, and I want to get him on the site.

In fact, I think I may open up PSP tonight and work on something.
                Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

Cool idea. I'm starting to work on this tomorrow. maybe we should agree on the message - make up one simple slogan and translate it to as much languages as possible, for contributors to make different versions of their bookmarks.
                  just an idea.

Comment

Would that really work? Wouldn't one main tagline sort of confine the design? I suppose that's already true by needing the web site address on it. Just a thought.

Comment

This is done at about 2 by 6.something inches, so the dimensions should probably cut in half. Though this is a quick render for a book mark which may be useful for someone if shrunk to size.

image removed
                      Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

This is a great idea! Has Dee seen this, I wonder? Or is he still on the run after the 'tree-and-fence art terror scandal' of 2004?

I'm going to emulate this by placing a hidden kipper fillet inside every copy of Prototype X that goes on the shelves. This will both echo my own ichthyological tastes, and enable the book vendor to easily and rapidly locate copies for the customer.

Sorry, I've been writing fiction again and my head's all mussed up.... :roll:

Comment

Careful! I think we're all more on the safe side if we use original work, that is stuff that create, otherwise rights can easily be infringed. You all know how greedy people can be! Or, if we are using elements of an existing work let's try to contact the artist for permission. One might have to include a source reference like "... on basis of a book cover by Donald Duck" or so ...
                          Not wanting to impede the good idea I also don't want a load of attorneys rapping on Berry's or Mikes's door.
                          Google ergo sum

Comment

I didn't know Donald Duck did book covers...

New Worlds Quackerly?

Anat To Remember?

Is he anything to do with JG Mallard? Wheldrake?

I really do apologise. I''ve just broken the cambelt on the Mazda and I'm a little dishevelled.

Comment

Hmm... I know we don't want to start cluttering up the designs with unnecesaary text, but should we say that Moorcock's Miscellany is an 'official' (or perhaps 'authorised' is a better word?) web site rather than simply a 'fan' site? (I guess it probably is a 'fan' site in that it's managed by volunteers/fans, but since Mike does frequent it quite, er, frequently :) it has some official status I'd say.)

I don't know whether this is a worthwhile suggestion or not, but if you don't mention something then you never know that you got it wrong. :oops:

:roll: Gee, someone comes up with a really neat idea and other people come along and rain on the parade.

Cheers,
                              David
                              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
                              X