Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

LP by Cirith Ungol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LP by Cirith Ungol

Anyone familiar with this LP?

Nice cover!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...736656617&rd=1

I bought a 'two-fer' CD with this and 'King of the Dead' on it.

It's not too bad, but the singer sounds a little too much like Axl Rose for my taste.
    Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Thanks for that.

The eBay seller of this copy says that some of the songs are inspired by Moorcock.

Any truth in that, do you think? Or is it merely a blatant attempt to sell the LP to MM fans?

(The cover, for anyone who hasn't looked, uses Michael Whelan's Stormbringer cover art)

Comment

[quote="GuyLawley"]

The eBay seller of this copy says that some of the songs are inspired by Moorcock.

Any truth in that, do you think? Or is it merely a blatant attempt to sell the LP to MM fans?

quote]

Just dug out my 'two-fer' CD and looked at the lyrics.

None of them are obvious, like 'Black Blade' or 'Veteran of the Psychic Wars', but most of them, except for 'What Does It Take' and 'Edge of a Knife' could be interpreted as coming from the viewpoint of the Eternal Champion--longing for peace, an ordinary life, etc.
        Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

At the risk of self-promotion, see this link!

Cheers,
          Ant

Comment

Excellent work, amigo !

Thanks for that.

Comment

Here's an ironic thread. I was cleaning out some old storage boxes two weeks ago, and came upon my old record collection. Must have been sitting in a rotting box about twenty years, and there was this album of Cirith Ungol with the Stormbringer cover. They had several albums with those Elric covers. I seem to recall seeing "The Vanishing Tower" and "The Bane of the Black Sword" on Cirith Ungol covers, but I think there were others. The only song I remember of theirs was "Frost and Fire". I think I listened to the album once.

Comment

http://www.cirith-ungol.dragonight.de/

If you want to know more about the past of Cirith Ungol, go to the link above. I think you will recognise the frontis page. I have been into Cirith Ungol since 1982/3, but they have been going since the early 70s! You heard a lot of bands classed as a "Cult" act. Cirith Ungol truly epitomise that term. "Frost and Fire" even appeared in the "Janet & John Metal" piss take in Kerrang! magazine where the journos there declared it as one of the most inept metal record ever recorded. Surely that must recommend it to someone :D

Tom sounds like Axl Rose? Surely it should be the other way around?! But, in the end, that comparison is only down the gruffness of the vocals. The technique is quite different.
                ‘In real life people do not spend every minute shooting each other, hanging themselves or making declarations of love. They don’t spend every minute saying clever things. Rather they eat, drink, flirt, talk nonsense."

Comment

Thanks, folks. My original question more than answered.

Of course, I could have done a Google search all by myself, but that was much more fun!

Comment

Frost and Fire by Cirith Ungol was O.K. IMHO "One foot in Hell" whose cover art features arioch as a giant fly receiving Elrics pledge (see my avatar) and "King of the Dead" were much better.

One Foot in Hell [1986]______King Of The Dead (1984)

01 Blood And Iron__________1. Atom Smasher
                    02 Chaos Descends_________2. Black Machine
                    03 The Fire________________3. Master Of The Pit
                    04 Nadsokor_______________4. King Of The Dead
                    05 100 Miles Per Hour_______5. Death Of The Sun
                    06 War Eternal_____________6. Finger Of Scorn
                    07 Doomed Planet__________7. Toccata In Dm
                    08 One Foot In Hell_________8. Cirith Ungol

NADSOKOR
                    Mighty warrior raise your sword against the seething chaos horde
                    Sworn to serve but taught to hate the unseen masters of your fate
                    Nadsokor
                    Mighty balance in the sky determines who's the next one to die
                    The black sword drinks on the souls that fell
                    And sucks it with it down to hell

MASTER of the PIT
                    Pray you never kneel
                    To the Master of the Pit
                    Violently stirring their brew of corruption
                    Lords of the dark summon certain destruction
                    Pray you never kneel
                    To the one who calls you slave
                    With the hearts and tongues of the Gods in their hands
                    The Legions of Hell bellow forth their commands
                    Bow down and kneel
                    To the Master of the Pit
                    Though the powers of Chaos are those you abide
                    You raise your sword to cast him aside
                    You know there is no escape
                    When you see your sword in flames
                    As the hellrains pound the darkening land
                    Man and sword begin their last stand
                    You know you'll never kneel
                    To the Master of the Pit
                    Feverish prayers of life ever after
                    As your doom driven blade drinks the soul of the Master

ATOM SMASHER
                    A reaver king, his throne defiled
                    Roaming the streets to the call of the wild
                    As upstarts strive to rule the world
                    Against them chaos legions hurled
                    The Smasher's force has swept the land
                    Again begins the dawn of man

Comment

Originally posted by Arioch - Duke of Hell
                      Frost and Fire by Cirith Ungol was O.K. IMHO "One foot in Hell" whose cover art features arioch as a giant fly receiving Elrics pledge (see my avatar) and "King of the Dead" were much better.
                      Hmm, at the risk of seeming out of place, I always thought the cover you mention (from the The Vanishing Tower) illustrated this scene:

Instead, there sat in Urish's throne a fat, scaly thing of yellow and green and black. Brown bile dripped from its grinning snout and it raised on of its many paws in a mockery of a salute.
                      'Greetings,' it hissed, 'and beware - for I am the guardian of Urish's treasure.'
                      'A thing of Hell,' Elric said. 'A demon raised by Theleb K'aarna. He has been brewing his spells for a long time, methinks, if he can command so many foul servants.' He frowned and weighed Stormbringer in his hand but, oddly, the blade did not seem to hunger for battle.
                      'I warn thee,' hissed the demon, 'I cannot be slain by a sword - not even that sword. It is my Wardpact...'
                      Maybe I'm mistaken though?
                      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I mhave seen artist's rendering of the wardpact demon and it was more bestial, but then that is their interpretation. In my avatar Elric seems to be saluting more than taking an attack stance, besides Arioch appears to be chillin' as well. Later as a fly on the wall with the same eyes and sardonic smile I imagined a scene like this where Arioch revels in Elric as his agent while Elric pledges his loyalty.

I don't have the quote handy, but I think I may be from the end of "Elric of Melnibone" where Elric finally succeds in summoning Arioh per the ancient pacts and enlisting him as a patron, on condition of his fealty.

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
                          ... Maybe I'm mistaken though?
                          I completely agree with you! It's from "To Snare the Pale Prince" from The Vanishing Tower.

Ciao,
                          Ant

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                            http://www.cirith-ungol.dragonight.de/

If you want to know more about the past of Cirith Ungol, go to the link above. I think you will recognise the frontis page. I have been into Cirith Ungol since 1982/3, but they have been going since the early 70s! You heard a lot of bands classed as a "Cult" act. Cirith Ungol truly epitomise that term. "Frost and Fire" even appeared in the "Janet & John Metal" piss take in Kerrang! magazine where the journos there declared it as one of the most inept metal record ever recorded. Surely that must recommend it to someone :D

Tom sounds like Axl Rose? Surely it should be the other way around?! But, in the end, that comparison is only down the gruffness of the vocals. The technique is quite different.

For all those that wish to be up to date, go to this website here:
                            www.myspace.com/cirithungol

That website is ran by Tim's son. So go to that website if you want any better details about the band.

Or you can goto the official website:
                            http://truemetal.org/cirithungol/

The lead singers name is Tim, not Tom. And Tim sound like Axel rose?? LOL That's funny since Tim has sang like that since the mid 70's. When Cirith Ungol was playing the hollywood scene, Axel was still a little kid. Alot of ppl didn't know what to make of Tim's singing. I had heard some say that the band would have hit it big if they had a different singer. But I say no way possible could that happen! That voice WAS Cirith Ungol! LOL

Anyone that went to one of their live shows in the early days knows that Tim was an intricate part of what Cirith Ungol was! Everyone that knew the band & knew Tim, knew that if you removed Tim, then it wasn't Cirith Ungol. The members of Cirith Ungol really couldn't be replaced. Even though they did make a couple of changes through the years. BUT Tim was always there.

I used to hang out with them back in the day. My friend Keith Fenton & I knew Tim Baker, Jerry Fogle, and Robert Garven. Although that was many years ago. I'm talking around 1978-89. Been along time since I even lived in Ventura. Although I have to say I sure miss those guys. When I heard that Jerry died.. It was a very sad day. He was a real star & deserved to hit it big. But he never reached his full potential.. And he never was put in front of the right audience(SP?). God bless you Jerry.. We miss you man.

Oh ya, The band is from Ventura CA, NOT LA like it says in so many forums, old metal mags etc. They loved Michael Moorcock, J.R.R. Tolkien, and HP Lovecraft stuff. Among several other authors that I can't even remember now.

Alot of ppl loved Cirith Ungol. I know I did. They were that kind of band that you either loved or hated. They were a huge hit overseas. (Japan, England). But here in the states, not as big a hit. It was really to bad. They always gave their all in every show they did.

Tim loved anything Elric, which we can all tell by the cover of all their albums. King of the dead has always been my favorite.
                            Last edited by Axeman88; 06-14-2007, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arioch - Duke of Hell View Post

One Foot in Hell [1986]______King Of The Dead (1984)

01 Blood And Iron__________1. Atom Smasher
                              02 Chaos Descends_________2. Black Machine
                              03 The Fire________________3. Master Of The Pit
                              04 Nadsokor_______________4. King Of The Dead
                              05 100 Miles Per Hour_______5. Death Of The Sun
                              06 War Eternal_____________6. Finger Of Scorn
                              07 Doomed Planet__________7. Toccata In Dm
                              08 One Foot In Hell_________8. Cirith Ungol

NADSOKOR
                              MASTER of the PIT
                              ATOM SMASHER

Bumping from the fuuuutuuuure... Don't forget Blood & Iron, either... basically summarizes the end of The Eternal Champion.

The tangled web is slowly woven
                              By feeble leaders, mankind's chosen
                              To satisfy their evil dreams
                              The churning gears of war machines

With iron will they tread across
                              This burning speck of worthless dust
                              Their metal standards now unfurled
                              They purge the humans from their world

Children of misery centuries long
                              Who walked with kings now walk alone
                              They lie in fear a million deep
                              Like cringing herds of human sheep
                              As for the singer's voice... it's great! Just takes a little while to grow on you. But whenever I hear him, I'm reminded of Mike's descriptions of Elric's voice whenever he's screeching out some hellish summoning. How rad is that?

Comment

Working...
                              X