Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Runstaff questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runstaff questions

I'm near to finishing the History of the Runestaff books and very enjoyable they are too :)

I have a few queries and if Mike or anyone else can help, I'd be grateful.

Mike - I've had fun figuring out your slightly altered names for cities/places/people. I've been racking my brains over the following so if anyone knows as to where they are derived....(it may be that Mike simply invented them)

1. kamarg

2. Aral Visln (Supreme God of Ancient Granbretan)

3. Jhone (John?), jhorg (George?), Phowl and Rhumba (Gods - Kings of England?)

4. Birin Adass

5. Skvese

6. Blansacredid

Also, is there any Runestaff artwork? e.g. of Londra, the various Orders, Meliadus etc etc?

many thanks

Just glancing at that, "Birin Adass" looks very much like "Brian Aldiss", and the only reason I noticed this is because I was starting at the cover of "The New Nature of the Catastrophe".

I must be dumb though, I just finished the books likewise, and I can't remember who, what, or where Birin Adass is.

Comment

Re: Runstaff questions

Originally posted by ReaveTheJust
      I have a few queries and if Mike or anyone else can help, I'd be grateful.

Mike - I've had fun figuring out your slightly altered names for cities/places/people. I've been racking my brains over the following so if anyone knows as to where they are derived....(it may be that Mike simply invented them)

1. kamarg

2. Aral Visln (Supreme God of Ancient Granbretan)

3. Jhone (John?), jhorg (George?), Phowl and Rhumba (Gods - Kings of England?)

4. Birin Adass

5. Skvese

6. Blansacredid

Also, is there any Runestaff artwork? e.g. of Londra, the various Orders, Meliadus etc etc?

many thanks
      Very gladly I will try to help out.

Kamarg is the word for the Camargue Region in Southern France.
      Aral Vilsn reminds you of Harold Wilson.
      Then you have John, George, Paul and - RINGO run slightly through the word mincer.
      Yes, as far as I recall Brian Aldiss is meant, but the others I don't remeber.

Mike explains in his response to an earlier question about "Skvese and Blansacredid":
      "Squeeze and Balance of Credit are to do with the economics and politics of the period when the books were written, in what is now considered the Golden Age of Harold Wilson..."
      (Source: [broken link]

(PS you going Biergarten way this year? Get in touch if you like.)[/b]
      Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 04:13 AM.
      Google ergo sum

Comment

There were also Churchill and JG Ballard in the "God fleet."

Comment

Working...
        X