Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Meet "White Crow's Son", the albino blackbird.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lemec
    replied
    All-white blackbird photographed

Originally posted by GuyLawley View Post
    Would you Adam'n'Eve it? The Multiverse, in her endless variety, has chosen to honour the publication of White Wolf's Son with the rare appearance of an albino blackbird here in Merrie Olde England. In fact in ye Countye of Cornwalle.

The bird made the pages of the Guardian newspaper on Tuesday and again today in the science section.

The reports can be read here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...500909,00.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/thisw...501756,00.html

and a picture from today’s paper scanned by moi, here:

[broken link]

It’s a shame the journos haven’t made the connection with Mike’s new book, but perhaps the Multiverse has more subtle schemes afoot and the bird isn’t really there to publicise White Wolf’s Son at all…?? Nah, couldn’t just be coincidence, could it !?

:)
    I this this blackbird might have been in The White Wolf's Son.

BBC Nature:
    All-white blackbird photographed
    The bird is leucistic, which is a genetic mutation that prevents pigments from being deposited normally in its feathers.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/16646922

This is most fascinating. Now I have learned about leucism as well as albinism.

I see this handsome bird leading us through The Multiverse!

Leave a comment:

• GuyLawley
    replied
    Nice find, Aral!

Thanks for the link.

Leave a comment:

• Marca
    replied
    Albino wallaby

It gets stranger, with pictures of an Albino wallaby hopping around. The only report I could find was in The Sun, the paper that called Mike 'a person of rare goodness and sanity'

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005280111,00.html

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    They're all a bunch of peckerheads if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• xidrep
    replied
    It's always the LBJ's* that get trodden underfoot, be they ne'er so rare...

*LBJ - Little Brown Jobs. Not dubious ex-presidents.

Leave a comment:

• Lord Doom
    replied
    Originally posted by Perdix
    Ooh, yes! Even the Ivory-billed Woodpecker has come out of extinction to join in (I was going to do an article on it for PX, but the idea of any more work on those lines starts me twitching). >tik!< See?

>Tik<
    Ah yes, the so-called Grail bird. Also known as the Runestaff fowl in other parts of the Multiverse. The little bugger escaped from my menagerie when I wasn't looking. It makes the most incredible pecking sound, like cloister bells on a damp afternoon. I also discovered an escaped American Indian. Be wary, he is a tiny little bugger who likes to hid in cupboards.

The Ivory-Billed Woodpecker was re-discovered in the back woods of my adopted Arkansas. The Army Core of Engineers has already decided that the planned development of a surrounding watershed will go on as planned and will not have any repurcussions for this long-thought extinct grubhunter. Ah, industry. Apparantly the Ivory-billed isn't quite as handsome as the condor, which was nearly a celebrity in it's revival, while the poor Grail-bird gets shafted by the current administration's lackeys.

Progress...

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• xidrep
    replied
    Or shags.

Leave a comment:

• xidrep
    replied
    Troglodytes is fun, too. And fun-sized...

We won't mention titmice.

Leave a comment:

• A_Non_Ymous
    replied
    Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
    Blackbirds and other Turdidae...
    "Turdidae"? Honestly, old chap, there's no need for that sort of language. Come the time of The Pecking, you'll be regretting such profanity!
    You have a problem, sir, with the names assigned to the members of the order Turdidae?

Do you disdain the use of that common, immensely useful word "turdiform" -- meaning "resembling a thrush" (another member of the family)?

Do you object strenuously to the genus and species of the "robin red breast"? (Turdus turdus)

:lol:

Nice misleading word.

LSN

Leave a comment:

• xidrep
    replied
    Ooh, yes! Even the Ivory-billed Woodpecker has come out of extinction to join in (I was going to do an article on it for PX, but the idea of any more work on those lines starts me twitching). >tik!< See?

>Tik<

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Blackbirds and other Turdidae...
    "Turdidae"? Honestly, old chap, there's no need for that sort of language. Come the time of The Pecking, you'll be regretting such profanity!

Leave a comment:

• xidrep
    replied
    Blackbirds and other Turdidae can be appeased with raisins thrown onto a dawn lawn. And worms.

This is as distressing as the metallic green mallards of 1996...

Leave a comment:

• GuyLawley
    replied
    Re: Meet &quot;White Crow's Son&quot;, the albino blackbird.

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
    Originally posted by TheGuardian
    A pure albino blackbird has been found in the garden of a house in Cornwall but the creature is unlikely to live a year. :)
    That's what they think... soon it will be sipping away at the magick potions and leading all of the other birds in a mighty army against us. Hitchcock was a harbinger! Block your chimneys!! The time of the pecking approaches... :(
    Very likely, but will Our Boy peck for Law or on the side of Chaos?

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Re: Meet &quot;White Crow's Son&quot;, the albino blackbird.

Originally posted by TheGuardian
    A pure albino blackbird has been found in the garden of a house in Cornwall but the creature is unlikely to live a year. :)
    That's what they think... soon it will be sipping away at the magick potions and leading all of the other birds in a mighty army against us. Hitchcock was a harbinger! Block your chimneys!! The time of the pecking approaches... :(

Leave a comment:

• GuyLawley
    started a topic Meet "White Crow's Son", the albino blackbird.

Meet "White Crow's Son", the albino blackbird.

Would you Adam'n'Eve it? The Multiverse, in her endless variety, has chosen to honour the publication of White Wolf's Son with the rare appearance of an albino blackbird here in Merrie Olde England. In fact in ye Countye of Cornwalle.

The bird made the pages of the Guardian newspaper on Tuesday and again today in the science section.

The reports can be read here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...500909,00.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/thisw...501756,00.html

and a picture from today’s paper scanned by moi, here:

[broken link]

It’s a shame the journos haven’t made the connection with Mike’s new book, but perhaps the Multiverse has more subtle schemes afoot and the bird isn’t really there to publicise White Wolf’s Son at all…?? Nah, couldn’t just be coincidence, could it !?

:)
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:34 AM.
Working...
X