Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

End of Time movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of Time movie

It is a pity that film is so far behind in its recognizing the literature of our time and committing it to the moving image.

A while ago, back when it would have been feasible and in between daydreaming about writing my own Elric script, I thought that a film based on the End of Time would have been really cool.

I imagined Terry Gilliam as the director, with Dudley Moore as Jharek and Diana Rigg as Mrs. Underwood. Of course, to fully see this as I did, you would have to go back in time about 20 years. Being as it was (in my mind) a Gilliam film, I imagined all sorts of Python folk dispersed amongst the End of Time party, and even thought Peter Cook or Peter O'Toole would make a great Lord Jagged.

Now, of course, most of these people are older than bog and not working, so it would probably wind up that Keanu Reeves played Jharek and Jessica Alba or Winona played Amelia Underwood, and it would be directed by Robert Rodriguiz or Tarentino or one of the other names Follywood kicks around every time the braintrust gathers to discuss a pitch.

Still and all, I think it would be a cool film to imagine cast and shot.

I saw it as a cartoon movie while I was reading it. Am I the only one?
    Don\'t blame me; I voted for Trixitroxi Ro!

Comment

No! I say Radio for the End Of Time!!!!

Filming it would be poo, I think - it would work much better in the compression-wave ether.

'Though your suggestions of Diana Rigg and Dud (and Gilliam) would have been rather fun, Suilebhain!

Comment

Sorry, duggm! We posted simultaneously, so 'yes'!

Yes!!! I too saw it in a 'cartoon' form! Somehow, the End of Time reads in such a way that it does not crystallise in a completely 'real' way. Very wonderful.

Comment

I'm with dugg! In the style of 'Yellow Submarine' perhaps? Glorious!
          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I'm right there with ya Perd (can I call ya Perd, pard?)! Radio would be cool too. Somehow, I just can't see live action not ruining it for me...

Comment

It's like y'all are reading my mind! Yeah Gov! Kind of but not exactly Yellow Submarineish!

Comment

Cross-posting like crazy! Where's Sergeant Alvarez when you need him? Radio would be great, imagine the sound effects!
                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
                  Radio would be great, imagine the sound effects!
                  I don't have to imagine them, I was making 'em as I read!

Comment

A cross with the 'Jerry Cornelius' strips. Not too lifelike or real. Jerry would fit the same style perfectly, too. So would Bastable.

Comment

'Prototype X Radiophonic Studios present: The Dancers At The End of Time'

Starring: Jon Finch as Jherek Carnelian (again, sort of): Vicki Butler-Henderson as Mrs Amelia Underwood: The Bloke who did the Voice for Sutekh in Pyramids of Mars as Lord Jagged of Canaria: Christopher Ecclestone as Werther De Goethe: Wayne Rooney as (all of) The Lat: Rebecca Loos as Mistress Christia: Dee Crosier as Harold Underwood (volunteer): Leslie Philips as The Duke of Queens....

Hang on, we've run out of cash...

Comment

Actually I see it as live action people with animation backgrounds, but using CGI. A good portion of the cast would also be CGI enhanced, like, isn't Lord Mongrove a giant and there is someone who is always changing color? I read it a long time ago so memory fails...

Comment

Nowadays I think Helena Bonham Carter would make a good Amelia Underwood for her own reasons, though I always saw her as a bit taller and with lighter brown, mousy hair all pinned up.

Comment

Re: End of Time movie

Originally posted by Suilebhain
                            I imagined Terry Gilliam as the director, with Dudley Moore as Jharek and Diana Rigg as Mrs. Underwood.
                            I'll go with Terry Gilliam... everything he touches turns into gold, and apart from that, he has a kind of humour that goes well with the end of times methinks. But for the rest... ewww.... If we can really put time probs apart, Mrs. Underwood would have to be played by Katherine Hepburn... and Jherek... ehr... for some reason I have the inclination to say Richard Burton, but his appearance isn't right. Montgomery Clift, perchance?

[EDIT: And for Jagged? Peter O'Toole? Hmmm.... that never occured to me, but I kind of like it.... (looks into handmirror from the left. Looks into handmirror from the right. Looks into handmirror from the front.) Hmmm, wellllll... (looks into...etc.etc.)]

[ANOTHER EDIT: And, thinking about it, I wouldn't rule out David Hyde Pierce for Werther.... a far cry from his previous roles, I know, but his apbrupt, concise body movements would work wonders if he could live himself into the part.]
                            "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

Well, if not Dudley Moore, and you wanted to go with someone who is a bit more ...or less...Moore-ish, I would go with Terrence Stamp. Richard Burton is too...imposing.

Comment

Working...
                              X