Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Searching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching

Although a Search for something on the site always yields lots of interest, is there an option to search for a particular item (e.g. a story or book title)? I always like to try and find if Mike has commented on something before posting a new Q&A thread, or when reading something by him, but if you search using 'Search for any terms or use query as entered', it brings up lots of unrelated items.

To give an example, if I wanted to use Search to look up the story Black Sword's Brothers and find only comments from Mike about it, can it be done easily? Apologies if this is blindingly simple and I've missed it to date... :oops:
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Dear all,

The search facilities here suck. So let's not talk about them. Let's talk about Google instead.

One can go to Google and do a search for things here at MWM. Enter the words found in quotes along this tutorial at Google in the search field:

Black Sword's Brothers
    And get about 8,600 irrellevant hits. Perhaps looking for the complete phrase only will be helpful:

"Black Sword's Brothers"
    Now we get 40 relevant hits that don't match our criteria of quotation by Michael Moorcock. Now we will make a very strict query:

+ "Black Sword's Brothers" + "Michael Moorcock"
    The above + symbol means "must be present". This yields 32 hits. You could go a step further and rule out certain words

+ "Black Sword's Brothers" + "Michael Moorcock" -bibliography
    Please note the - symbol nudged up against the b in bibliography. We exclude it on the hunch that there won't be any quotations in a bibliography. Our hits drop to 18. That's pretty dense. But you've decided that you know Mike has said something at multiverse.org. What then?

site:www.multiverse.org + "Black Sword's Brothers" + "Michael Moorcock"
    Note that I dropped the -bibliography. We have dropped to 9, very relevant hits. You be the judge as to whether or not that is true. Everything I demonstrated above will make you a more productive Google user. Guv, that's how I found those NW Cover archives. I suspect some of you will immeadiately begin to enjoy the outcome of these examples.

Cheers!
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Great tip, Berry.

Be a Google power user! Read this book!

Ciao,
      Ant

Comment

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/h/2871 :lol:
        PET HACK
        Cat Heimlich Manoeuver
        How do you give a choking cat the Heimlich maneouver without, well, crushing its ribs?

Contributed by: TY111
        [03/02/05 | Discuss (0) | Link to this hack]

Lift the gagging (hacking) cat gently and support its chest with one hand, and (again very gently) grasp the hind legs. Spead you legs and while supporting the cat mainly by the chest hold, using the hind leg hold primarily for steering, swing the cat back and forth between your legs like the clapper of a bell. The obstruction should just pop right out. NB: The cat will probably be very dizzy afterwards, so help it to its pillow.
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Thanks for the tips Berry, will try them next time. Shame there isn't a more convenient search on the site though...
          'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

We could never get something to match Google.

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
              Guv, that's how I found those NW Cover archives.
              Woah! Threw me there, Berry, talking to me half way down a new thread.

I have found this article to be of help

http://searchenginewatch.com/facts/article.php/2156021

And it contains some links to further, more advanced options.
              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Oh. It's all one big ever iterating and always continuous conversation for me...

Comment

I know what you mean. An ever-expanding ever-repeating tape-loop!
                  You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Well, there is some variation, or the conversation wouldn't be worth, well, continuing.

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
                      Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                      Guv, that's how I found those NW Cover archives.
                      Woah! Threw me there, Berry, talking to me half way down a new thread.
                      It just occurred to me that I might be a bit narcissistic. I'm going around expecting all the members here to be waiting with bated breath for my next response to their posts. :lol: Berry thinks to self:
                      Code:
                      If only I could tell them that I actually am waiting for replies to my posts, reloading the thread, again and again and again...
                      :lol:

Comment

Sorry, Berry. If only I'd known! I'd have replied earlier. :)

Comment

On the subject of searching, I've just realized there's a very useful Search facility in the Image Gallery. Put in a title or something, and it will bring up all the related images. Has it always been there..?

Comment

yes

Comment

That's me being Mr Observant as usual then. I go to my parents house sometimes and say 'that looks nice, when did you do/get that'. And they say... 'ages ago' :roll:

Comment

Working...
                              X