Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Multiversal coat of arms spotted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, offence to you Ribitt, but that kind of site just makes my blood boil. :x :x :x

It's "bucketshop heraldry" all over again... people selling inferior renditions* of coats of arms that belong to particular families bearing those surnames with the implication that they're relevant to anyone with the same surnames.

That's just not how heraldry works! See, for example, this site, under "Scams". Do not be taken in folks!!!

MfG,
    Ant

* Just look at the Cornelius arms: See how the lower red roundel crashes into the black chevron? It's just plain ugly.

Comment

I looked up my name: http://www.houseofnames.com/coatofar...sId=&s=chivers

A more reliable source has traced this to 'anglicised form of chevre, french for 'goat', named for agility or less admirable qualities' Strictly peasantry, I trust.

If people want to spend their hard-earned cash on this type of thing, they're more or less asking to be ripped off!
      \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Har! Looked up my surname, Starr, and saw on the page:

Some noteworthy people of the name Starr
        ● Ringo Starr (1940-) English musician

8O "Ringo Starr", as I thought everyone knew (evidently not these people) is not his birth name. That site is full of shite.

No offense, Ribitt.
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

No offense taken, folks! I just stumbled across this site and looked for some familiar names there...
          Oh... and my own name (Roth) brought me a kind of clipart-raven on a rather uninspired grey background that smelled faintly of MS Paint... :mrgreen:

Comment

Our family motto is (Walker) 'Not Without Danger'....... Hmmm.... Could be applied to some of us, I suppose.

Comment

well, it certainly applies to the texas ranger..

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C

A more reliable source has traced this to 'anglicised form of chevre, french for 'goat', named for agility or less admirable qualities' Strictly peasantry, I trust. ...
                Well, it looks like the arms depicted - three white goats on a red field - is an example of canting arms; that is, a heraldic pun. Likely someone of the name of Chivers bore those arms at one time.

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                Har! Looked up my surname, Starr, and saw on the page:

Some noteworthy people of the name Starr
                ● Ringo Starr (1940-) English musician

Shocked "Ringo Starr", as I thought everyone knew (evidently not these people) is not his birth name.
                Look at the Starkey page! It could just be a Liver Bird! (Which is the symbol of the Beatles home of Liverpool, as I'm sure you already knew...)

The byline makes me laugh... "Researching coats of arms since 1968". But not very thoroughly... just enough to appear convincing. The art of a good con.

Gr.,
                Ant

PS. This is what an Allan coat of arms should look like (by my late dad)...
                [broken link]
                ... not like this!
                Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Checked if they had the crest of a family closely linked to mine by many intermarriages, the Reventlows (DK & German), but they don't even have a wrong crest of them at this site.
                  Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                    Originally posted by Mikey_C

A more reliable source has traced this to 'anglicised form of chevre, french for 'goat', named for agility or less admirable qualities' Strictly peasantry, I trust. ...
                    Well, it looks like the arms depicted - three white goats on a red field - is an example of canting arms; that is, a heraldic pun. Likely someone of the name of Chivers bore those arms at one time.
                    You're right an' all! Am I set to inherit the family seat?
                    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

I'm delighted someone pointed me at that site, gave me the best laugh of the week (so far anyway!) :D

Apart from the coat of arms for my family (Armstrong) being TOTALLY wrong, the list of famous Armstrongs includes :

"Johnnie Armstrong (d.1530) Scottish freebooter and castle-rustler"

Bloody hard work, driving those herds of castles across the Scottish moors, I can tell you.....

Comment

Now some true Multiversal "coats of arms", well, "Chaos Battle Banners", ... although really they're more like gonfannons than banners... Anyhoo...
                        [link expired]
                        [image moved]

For Arioch, Balo, and Pyaray, if you couldn't guess...

Ciao,
                        Ant

Comment

Sweet work on the Multiverse coats of arms/banners.

Thumbs up!

Comment

Armstrong coat of arms

We have two coats of arms, scottish and english, and you'll find that a cattle rustler is little more than a thug. That's what we armstrongs were famous for on the borders - being thugs :)

Comment

Re: Armstrong coat of arms

Originally posted by Greblord
                              We have two coats of arms, scottish and english, and you'll find that a cattle rustler is little more than a thug. That's what we armstrongs were famous for on the borders - being thugs :)
                              Know that well, my favourite quote about the family is from George MacDonald Fraser's 'Steel Bonnets' - I don't have a copy to hand, but to paraphrase - "By this time the Armstrongs were assuming the proportions of a national menace to England"

Still think we weren't tough enough to herd castles though, but I'm sure some gave it a try just in case...

Comment

Working...
                              X