Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Your voice???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your voice???

Hey, the other day i downloaded some of those sound files on this site where you're reading from those ELric books, and hehe, your accent and voice is totally INSANE! Its crazy! I hadn't heard you speak before then, but judging from those pictures of you on the Internet and the size and length of your beard, i thought that you'd talk like one of those mighty prophet guys on top of mountatins saying stuff deeply. But when i downloaded it, i cracked up laughing. Ho Ho.. Its hilarious. Have you ever been accused before of having a strange voice. You hear about people having silly accents, but you my fellow sausage consumer, are up their on the top hundred. I showed a few mates, and one went all quite and didn't say anything (i think i saw a tear) and the other looked at me strangely and said something like "well what do you think about his books now" in an upset and aggressive tone. Woop!! You even pronounced the words in weird and freaky ways. You said "Melnibone" completely different than i said it. Makes me wonder how on earth you pronounce Erekose?? Aaahhh!! Do all English people speak like that? Or is it just you? How silly. What do you think? Are you insulted about my imposing post? if you are, in my defence it isn't totally my fault, but my brains fault, if you consider my brain as a seperate entity from my self.
    Bye

Re: Your voice???

Originally posted by Kev
    Hey, the other day i downloaded some of those sound files on this site where you're reading from those ELric books, and hehe, your accent and voice is totally INSANE! Its crazy! I hadn't heard you speak before then, but judging from those pictures of you on the Internet and the size and length of your beard, i thought that you'd talk like one of those mighty prophet guys on top of mountatins saying stuff deeply. But when i downloaded it, i cracked up laughing. Ho Ho.. Its hilarious. ... (shortened quote)
    It is summer in Australia now, right? Must be boiling some people's brains, so put a digger's hat on will you?
    L'Etranger
    Google ergo sum

Comment

Re: Your voice???

It is summer in Australia now, right? Must be boiling some people's brains, so put a digger's hat on will you?
      L'Etranger

I quite agree. A most pointless post.
      Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

It's called a troll. The sooner you understand them the sooner you'll spot them:

"An electronic mail message, Usenet posting or other (electronic) communication which is intentionally incorrect, but not overtly controversial (compare flame bait), or the act of sending such a message. Trolling aims to elicit an emotional reaction from those with a hair-trigger on the reply key. A really subtle troll makes some people lose their minds."

Source: Hyper Dictionary
        URL: http://www.hyperdictionary.com/searc...&search=Search

This thread barely qualifies and can be classified as a weak troll. Any post after this one makes the author of such this troll's next hapless victim.
        "Jerry Cornelius was based, for instance, on a young man I used to see around Notting Hill where there was also a greengrocer called Cornelius of London."

--Michael Moorcock

Comment

Just a wandering Terry Pratchett fan. Terry has often wondered why all his readers are called Kevin. Mind you, that's the last time I use a glove puppet for a stand in. Someone was bound to rumble me sooner or later.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Your voice???

Well I never thought Melnibone was pronouced like that.
            I allways thought it was similair to marrow bone :roll:
            MEEP !

Comment

The original character was Eric of Marylebone, a slightly pale chartered accountant with a dodgy fountain pen. Funny how these things grow as you write them. Then I started learning French and the rest is history.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Just a wandering Terry Pratchett fan.
                Terry isn't exactly blessed with the voice of James Earl Jones either. Kev's voice, on the other hand, probably hasn't broken yet.

Comment

Sounds Posh

Mike:

Your voice sounds very nice. Soft, sensitive, intelligent. I've always thought you were very smart and quick, but not really thoughtful. But now you do sound intelligent and very nice afterall! Somehow I expected a lower-middle class British thing--pushy, bit coarse. Your voice is actually very pleasant and warm. So why don't you write fiction as you talk? Why all the negativity, unpleasantness, abusiveness, melodrama, sexual unhappiness, chaos, nazis, hurt people, failure, unfulfilled aspirations and scruffy hippie stuff? If you don't mind me asking?

I've always pronounced it: "Mel-ni-bone-ay."

How do you pronounce Imrryr?

I say: "Em-er-rye-er."

Thanks.

Carter

Comment

Postscript

I once looked at a roadmap of London and when I spotted Marylebone Road I wondered if it had crossed your mind as you put the name together.

CK

Comment

Re: Sounds Posh

Originally posted by Carter Kaplan
                      How do you pronounce Imrryr?

I say: "Em-er-rye-er."
                      Actually, Mike reads the word in the prologue, listen carefully to the MP3 for the correct pronounciation.

Cheers,
                      Luأ­s

Comment

See elsewhere, in the section where I think I'm talking about construction to see which tone I choose and why for any particular book.
                        Happily, I feel I've a pretty wide range of style 'colours'.
                        Just as we often have in real life.
                        Thanks Goblin. That is the best place to listen, also to the forthcoming AudioRealms material, where I do a long introduction (new) to Elric of Melnibone.
                        There are one or two names there which are pronounced, by the reader, a little differently to how I'd pronounce them, but that's not surprising.
                        Look at all the people who say Eye Rack...

Comment

Mike:

Sorry for the cheeky question on material, but I had to ask it or I'd be less than honest with you, hombre.

I borrow piles of audio books from the library to listen to in my car.
                          Are there any audio books of your work? (I suppose one could download your MPGs and put them on cassette? Is that alright? I don't patronize napster sites or take/transmit creative work without permission.)

In addition to your own books, you could read others. Second career. You sound like what I'd imagined William Golding to sound like.

Which raises my old suggestion about a MM radio talk show. Hearing your voice affirms my suspicion that it could be successful. There's that new network forming to counter operations like Fox and Clear Channel. It'd be interesting.

Best,

Carter

LAW :arrow:

Comment

Working...
                          X