Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Logo Design Poll Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Knakkerton
    Well, guess who made the current logo? I'm so embarassed. I forgot my account and password a long time ago, but I still shouldn't have come here as a guest to comment and defend my work, as if it were an outsider's opinion.
    Ah! The current logo being your design puts your comments quite into perspective.

For what it's worth, I voted to leave the logo as it is. :mrgreen:

Originally posted by Knakkerton
    I thought PWV's #1 entry was good and professional, but I would have had a static version without the moving bits.
    I agree about the moving bits. I despise most web animation, particularly gifs. But it seemed [broken link]in the beginning that animation was desired by many. The moving arrows on my chaos symbol were actually a recommendation by another guest (that post has since disappered, but it was there, I swear!). I tried to make it clear that the animation was completely optional. I fear the moving arrows lost me votes.

Originally posted by Berry
    Back on topic. PWV's and also the logo above's strongest feature is the use of white space. I know, I know, talking about white space, especially by a non-artist, is pretentious, but the fact remains, when it is used as it has been in these examples it really adds something to the publication.
    Well, it's a matter of style, of course, but I tend to feel that space you don't fill is every bit as important as space you do fill. I was thrilled to hear "Weekly" was being dropped -- more white space!

Originally posted by Berry
    If we could get some really nice bookmarks with URLs to the site, I reckon we could go to our local bookstores, used and otherwise, and slip them into Mike's books, pointing people to the site.
    Cool idea.
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 01:59 PM.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Henri,

I invite you to redo the logo, yet again. :-) Would you make the new one without the Weekly in it, roughly the size of PWV's submission? Would you mind keeping it the current color scheme? Or perhaps one a very light shade of blue similiar to the colors in the forum?

Let me know if you can't or don't want to. If you lost my email, just use the Feedback link.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I think, in some small way, we are all Fuckawee.

Meanwhile, I was thinking how nice it would be if we could leave elections until there were some better candidates to choose from, but I'm not sure any of us would see another election for a loooooooooooooooong time...

(Little bit of politics there, laydees-n-gennelmen)
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
          I invite you to redo the logo, yet again. :-).
          Thank you, I'm flattered, really. :) The next couple of weeks I'll be under quite a lot of pressure and busyness, though (trying to switch from mathematics to law school through entrance exams at the university; call me masochistic!), but I'd love to fiddle with the pic by the end of this month. So, yes.

- Henri

Comment

Hehe, couldn't resist. Missed a few hours of good night's sleep but what-the-hell. This isn't necessarily the final version. Probably. I'll take a second look at it (them) some other day, when I'm not this tired.

It's the same size with PWS's entry height-wise but it was hard to make it wider without doing radical changes. So I did none.

And here's the summer-time hippy special edition with butterflies 'n' all.

And yet another version. The only noteworthy thing about this one is that Mike's pic has no drop-shadow and that it's grey-scale. I tried the blue-shading Berry suggested but I couldn't make it work. I personally think the hue in the images above is the best one, fits the blue in the forum, too.

Comment

Just noticed that Berry's update the site logo with the new name. Looks good. :)
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Alright, it looks just fine the second time, too. A bit more of white space below the image wouldn't hurt, though. Maybe a BR-tag or a new image with more space around it? I could do the latter, and add a tiny bit of space 'round the sides too, maybe. I'm a hopeless perfectionist :)

Comment

I cropped the image down: you had plenty of white space, but I want the logo to be closer to raise the content below it up. What is the general concensus? More whitespace around the logo?
                  The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Well, you did ask, so... I'd actually prefer a little more white space below the logo, but I understand your reasons for wanting to keep everything "cosy" as it were. Is the bar saying "Moorcock's Miscellany: Forums" necessary? Personally I'd like to see the same space above and below the image, but I guess that might be subjective depending on screen size and so forth? I don't really know enough about web design to comment further.
                    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Yeah, I get your point about raising the content. It's just that the grey border somehow intrudes the territory of my image :) You know, it somehow affects the holy over-all balance of white space. The strange thing is that if you remove the borders around the middle-box (not moving the content in any way) you won't notice the white space effect. But I guess you won't be removing the borders just to raise the content. How about just a few pixels of white below the image, pretty pleease? :lol:

Comment

Berry, not sure if you're aware but now that you've updated the site logo the following opening line from Mike's greeting on the Home page needs revising as well (perhaps?).

"Welcome to Moorcock's Weekly Miscellany, originally the title of a web magazine I plan to put out when time allows."

Just thought I'd ought to mention this in case it slipped through the net. :)
                        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks demos99.

That's it. The logo is sorted. It has a little more whitespace now, using your original sans the cropping. Thanks again Henri.

Comment

Thanks, Berry. The pleasure's all mine.

Comment

Working...
                            X