Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Lady Miggea (& other anagrams)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanderlust
    replied
    He was? You were? Hell, it's already a pretty fine show in my head.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Was I at Stonehenge ? Blimey. And I thought I'd been lying to my wife...

Leave a comment:

• TDyl
    replied
    Kane series

There are at least 3 sci-fi/fantasy author names anagrammed in the Kane series (as landscape features rather than characters).

Damn devious Moorcock - oh, and I saw you on stage with HW decades ago (at Stonehenge). Thank you sir.

TDyl

Leave a comment:

• Marca
    replied
    Just found that in one of the Sojan stories there's a character called Yuckof. It's one letter short but can almost be rearranged to make a phrase that's rather rude. Is that just a coincidence? :?

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Just a point here -- Miggea isn't a Chaos lady. She's a corrupted Law lady. There are several such in other stories, including MM Multiverse.
    These are characters who will go to any lengths, do whatever damage is involved, in order to 'establish the rule of Law'. Of course, they are no longer representing Law, as I understand it, but THEY think they are ?
    Can we think of anyone in our own place and time who might be doing
    this ? Remember that the likes of Mussolini and Franco genuinely saw themselves as bringing stability to their countries, even though those countries, like Nazi Germany, actually became less stable under the
    surface these dictators had created. That's one of the themes, after all, of the current Elric trilogy.

Leave a comment:

• duggm
    replied
    I think the most insiteful one is Eternal Champion = A CHARNEL PIMENTO!

Kinda puts the whole thing in perspective, no? Where does Mike come up with this stuff?

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    Could we agree that agents of Law consume resources to over simplify (stagnate) and that agents of Chaos consume resources to over engineer (proliferate) to such extremes that no one actually benefits?

Originally posted by Dead-Air
    I missed it too, just not as obvious as the political parodies in the Bastable books I guess. I have a hard time thinking of Thatcher as an agent of Chaos in the real world though. I suppose that's sort of what deregulators are, but most major politicos weild the law as a source of their own power even if they claim to hate "big government."

Leave a comment:

• GuyLawley
    replied
    And I didn't want to be the one to submit a "a cliche mock moor" for public inspection, but if the game is now afoot...!

Leave a comment:

• Mikey_C
    replied
    'Michael Moorcock' => 'Mock Comical Hero' :lol:

Leave a comment:

• GuyLawley
    replied
    Yus, I think with Cend-Amrid we have emerged from the zone of SF in-jokes and are back in the Martian world where names like Hool Haji are just made up (?).

Apart from providing a few laughs, the passage above shows that you had the notion to embrace literary criticism within your fiction years before Jerry C started having a go at Kingsley Amis and the like.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Mystery to me, mate.
    Might not be an anagram at all.
    I've racked my brains. I know all the others, so it's possible this one wasn't an anagram at all!

Leave a comment:

• GuyLawley
    replied
    Originally posted by CandyFlossCow
    Originally posted by GuyLawley
    One of the Eternal Champion’s sword-wielding incarnations is an anagram of Jerry Cornelius, but only if you use his full name of Jeremiah and the fantasy character’s full name as well.
    (We’re well on our way to a crossword here…)
    I would never have guessed... It's Corum Jhaelen Irsei, isn't it? Wow! :D

As for Cend-Amrid, it might just be Cen Madrid... :?
    Well deduced! When John told me the Corum anagram I thought, "30 years reading these books and I never spotted that! What kind of Moorcock fan am I???" But maybe I'm not alone!

I've googled Cen Madrid but it's all in Spanish, wot I don't speak. Please can you let me know the meaning? I wonder if that's what MM had in mind?

Leave a comment:

• Typhoid_Mary
    replied
    And there's Coromcko from The City in the Autumn Stars...

Leave a comment:

• Marca
    replied
    I have to admit I've never been much good at working out anagrams - I never get the Countdown conundrum, for example. A great deal of my pleasure from the fantasy books is seeing where 'real' names have been woven into the alternate universe e.g. Kroiden, Chirshil and, erm, Aral Vilsn...

Leave a comment:

• CandyFlossCow
    replied
    Originally posted by GuyLawley
    One of the Eternal Champion’s sword-wielding incarnations is an anagram of Jerry Cornelius, but only if you use his full name of Jeremiah and the fantasy character’s full name as well.
    (We’re well on our way to a crossword here…)
    I would never have guessed... It's Corum Jhaelen Irsei, isn't it? Wow! :D

As for Cend-Amrid, it might just be Cen Madrid... :?

I remember spotting Gnatbleeson... I think I did notice some more MM anagrams, but can't recall them now (and I'm sure I missed a load, too). :x

Leave a comment:

Working...
X