Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Holiday reading question for Mike and other Nomads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday reading question for Mike and other Nomads

Mike (& fellow Nomads)

Like many other people I suspect, I like to "fit" my holiday reading matter with the destination (to a certain.

I'm off to Turkey and have been readin up on the Ottomans (fascinating stuff) and should hopefully get round to Ataturk and modern Turkey before I go.

My question is, have you written any books in which Turkey features to some extent?

If not, can any recommend any good fiction in context?

cheers.

PS just read the Golden Age trilogy by John C Wright - highly recommended (by me anyway).

Well, the three major ones that come to mind are Homer's Iliad (the supposed remains of Troy at Hisarlik are fascinating - though a guidebook is essential if you want to understand them - recommended!), as well as Xenophon's Anabasis and Herodotus' Histories (first half of). That's what I took, at least! Both serve as good, if slightly dated travel-guides to the whole country.

There are a whole load of good books on 'the search for Troy' - I think mine was by Michael Grant - a tie-in with the v.old BBC series, iirc.

Site-wise, the two absolute 'must-see' places are Ephesus (how much marble???), and the Troglodyte underground cities in Cappadocia (over four thousand years old...and the doors are still intact!!!).

Pergamum and Aphrodisias (huge, intact amphitheatre!) are also jolly fantabulous, if you're interested in the ancient world. Pergamum's location is just stunning. Ankara and Istanbul museums are also wonderful.

But I'm sure you know all that already!
    Arma virumque cano.

Comment

"My Name is Red" by Orhan Panhunk.

Think a sort of Islamic "Name of the Rose", but far more accessible, and you've got it.

Fabulous.

Jeremiah

Comment

Turkey figures quite a bit in The Laughter of Carthage, set just after the end of WW1.
        There are some excellent histories of Byzantium out there, if you're going to Istanbul. Good books on the Ottoman empire, too, though I can't remember titles or authors. I just got rid of a load of reference from that time and place!
        Have a great trip.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

thanks very much chaps for the info. :)

Unlikely to get to Eph or cappa this time around, but def ones for the future from what I've read about them.

I may just have time to sneak in Byzantium endures before th trip, the "Carthage" for Turkey. They sound excellent (unsurprisingly).

Read a review for "My name is red" which also looks verysounds excellent - definitely going on my "to read" list.

Comment

King Harald's Saga is another good'un, if you're going to Miklagard.
            Arma virumque cano.

Comment

Working...
            X