Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

New Non-English Editions album

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Non-English Editions album

I have recently created and populated a new sub-album in the Novels and Anthologies Album. It is called Non-English Editions and has three folders so far. It can be found via this link-

[link expired]

Let me have some feedback on what you think. I will be tidying up a bit within the different language albums - I just haven't worked out in which manner!
    If anyone has any images to upload, then let me know when you have done so, and I'll move them to the relevant folders.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Fantastic work! I've only just begun to enjoy these albums.

Some great images there.

Can we now begin to imagine a time when the cover of every edition of Mike's books from round the world is collected in one place?

PS: "The Horseman of Chaos"???????

Comment

Excellent. I'd try and put them in strict alpha order by the original English titles if possible, within each album. There are some evocative covers on these foreign editions.
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Thanks for your valuable contributions Guv!
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley
          PS: "The Horseman of Chaos"???????
          More exactly 'le cavalier Chaos' means 'the horseman Chaos' .
          'The horseman of Chaos' would have been 'le cavalier du Chaos'.

This book is an anthology collected and edited by somebody called Maxim Jakubowski. It is said in the introduction he partook in New Worlds and met Mike.

The texts in the anthology are:
          Peace on Earth
          The Deep Fix
          The Time Dweller
          Escape from Evening
          The Mountain
          The Pleasure Garden of Felipe Sagittarius
          Behold the Man
          Pride of Empire
          The Tank Trapeze
          The nature of the Catastrophe
          Pale Roses
          A Dead Singer
          The Ministrel Girl
          The Kassandra Peninsula

Comment

Are there any members here, fluent in more than one language, who have read Mike's books in English and another language? How do they translate? Do they still have the distinctive Moorcock touch, or do they lose something in translation? One of my old teachers at school insisted on reading French books in the original language, as he said they just weren't the same in English.
            'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Thanks, guys. :oops:

It might be best to group them alphabetically like the english-language versions. I might put an anthology album in each album when it becomes neccessary, too.

Maybe it could be best translated as 'The Chaos Rider' Guy. I think the title of this book conveys some of the problems with translations. One sometimes has to choose an approximation, simply because there is no literal translation.

How much control over your non-english edition artwork do you have, Mike? I know you have quite a bit of control over your english language editions. Wojtek Siudmak would seem to be an artist who has been well employed over the years, although not always as part of the whole cover, unfortunately.
              How about the translation. Do you have any say in that? It just occurred to me that some books may benefit from re-interpreting simply because of the march of time and an evolving world view. It would seem that once a translation has been done, it is relied on for most subsequent reissues.

Anyway, any suggestions will be gratefully received although I think it would be best to go with a majority consensus on any title changes. Thanks to L'Etranger for the German editions. And thanks, Bren, for the contents list. I think I'll add that to the picture in the comments.
              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I think we have some Japanese covers floating around the other albums. I'm not sure of that. Please check in the Elric books.
                The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                  Thanks for your valuable contributions Guv!
                  Yeah! What Berry said! Da Guv has been a huge help during this time of (for me) extreme busy-ness. Thanks for all your help, Guv.
                  "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                  --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

I had a look through the novels album Berry and you were right, there were a few Japanese editions in there. And some Portuguese and a couple of Italian editions.
                    It seems to be shaping up nicely.

Comment

I had almost no control over foreign artwork, but I have been well served, especially in Japan and France. Germany frequently reprinted the American or English artwork, a long tradition there. Even a set of French Elrics ran the Whelan covers once. I tend to trust a publisher until it seems to me they've lost the plot -- then I say something and ask for more control.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
                      X