Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

pronunciations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pronunciations?

Is there a list of how variuos words and names in Mike's books are to be pronounced? I have in mind things like Vadhagh, Fhoi Myore, Melnibone, etc. Or is there no "canonical" pronunciation? I have the feeling that certain words, like Vadhagh, are Celtic in origin (or influence), but I'm not even 100% sure how to pronounce "sidhe".

You can hear Mike pronounce some words in a audio file in the download section. [broken link]

AudioRealms has a voice actor who pronounces all the words in their Elric of Melnibone audio book. He sounds great. I was speaking with Fred Godsmark about it all and he was sure to correct my pronounciation of Melnibone. He learned how to say it from Mike.
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:21 AM.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Multiversal Pronunciations

You might also peruse these threads:

[broken link][broken link]

To give you a bit of freedom, though, Mike himself has said, "I don't say everyone should pronounce the names the same because, after all, we don't all pronounce foreign names or even regional names the same!"

Still, it is cool to know how the creator pronounces the names of his creations.
      Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 12:08 PM.
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Re: Multiversal Pronunciations

Thanks for the replies.

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
        To give you a bit of freedom, though, Mike himself has said, "I don't say everyone should pronounce the names the same because, after all, we don't all pronounce foreign names or even regional names the same!"
        Cool. That sounds like the sort of thing Mike would say. :)

But like I said, since Vadhagh looks Celtic, I was just wondering if there was a specific way it was intended to be pronounced.

Comment

I pronounce it with a cross between a soft b and a v -- a long a -- a 'breathed' dh, long a. soft gh from the back of the throat.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
          X