Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Greetings from Arnoldfornia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Arnoldfornia

Dear MM:

Forgive the longer than usual absence. I wanted to post a few congrats on the old website regarding "The Skrayling Tree," which I enjoyed tremendously. Rollicking story and I loved the blend of Native American mythology with the Elric mythos. I thought the integration of the three characters also worked particularly well. I didn't think you could top "The Dreamthief's Daughter," but I was happy that you proved me wrong. Your ever evolving and changing style never ceases to entrance and satisfy. I enjoyed hearing Elric's own voice again. As I recall, you used first person once before, though I can't remember the story. Arioch must have erased it from my mind. I also thoroughly enjoyed your short story "Lost Sorceress of the Silent Citadel," which I read in Year's Best SF 8. Not only did your style remind me of Leigh Brackett, but there were also distinct echoes of Edgar Rice Burroughs, Eric Frank Russell, Cordwainer Smith and one Edward P. Bradbury. :D As I recall, Doc Savage once claimed to own a Banning gun, but I believe it was stolen by either Professor Moriarity or the Red Skull. Captain America tried to get it back, but he couldn't open the dimensional rift where the Skull had hidden it. That's what Doc told me, anyway. I hope all is well with you, Linda and various felines. Cool news about both the Elric movie and the new "prequel" graphic novels. I'll ask our mutual friend Mr. Davey to snag me a set of those ASAP. Oh, and Happy Belated Birthday (mine's December 22nd--how can I be 44 already? I don't feel 44.)!

Best wishes for the new year. Goddess willing, we can eject that irrepressible jackanapse Dubya from the White House!

Lord Warshaw the Not Quite Unknown
    Warrior At The Edge of Irvine

Jeff Warshaw
    30 December 2003

P.S. Did I recall correctly? Were you going to incorporate something into the third of the new Elric novels about the White Wolf's role in the Battle of Britain? Whispers waft in from Biggin Hill...or was it Hornchurch?
    Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Nice to hear from you, Jeff.
    I'm currently working on the last of the current Elric sequence, The White Wolf's Son, which I hope will bring another fresh aspect to the series.
    Hope you also enjoy the new graphic novel sequence when it starts to appear this coming September. I think Walter Simonson has done some of his best work (yet again!). Arioch must be working on me, too, because I don't remember having done Elric in first person before!
    Glad you enjoyed the Brackett homage (Banning is a small town between
    Palm Springs and Los Angeles -- near where Leigh grew up -- and she
    has Bannings in the Eric John Stark stories). A book which captures much of the Brackett flavour, while adding much more, is The Etched City by K.L.Bishop which is out in the US already but should be out in the UK in January. Highly recommended.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Gropenfuhrer 3: Rise of the Budget Cuts

Thank you for the recommendation. I knew where Banning was, but I never knew that Leigh was born there. I must admit that I haven't read as much of her work as I should. I'll have to correct that after I finish my latest reading, Jack McDevitt's "Chindi" and C.J. Cherryh's "Hammerfall." I will ask Jon Davey to get me a copy of The Etched City. How are you feeling lately? Is the leg any better? Hope you're a bit more mobile and haven't had to cancel any more autograph events. Are you going to be doing one at DV for the graphic novels? I feel very guilty. I haven't spoken to Art and Lydia in ages, but if you're going to be coming to the Golden West any time soon, I would hate to miss you.

Take care, and Happy New Year!

Jeff Warshaw
      Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

We're hoping to be in LA for talks about the Elric script, but are not sure when this will be.
        I think DV is now closed but I'd hope to do a signing when the graphic novel starts to appear. That would probably be at a comic venue of some kind.
        I'm sure I'll be posting some sort of message when that happens -- and indeed, when we get to visit LA next.
        There's a piece about Leigh, done for the new collection of her stories,
        at the Fantastic Metropolis site. It's still pretty easy to pick up her Eric John Stark stories in some form or other. The earliest ones were done
        in Ace editions, I think.
        All very best,
        Mike

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
        X