Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Little Black and White Cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Little Black and White Cat

I asked this in the midst of another question and I am afraid it got lost in the shuffle.

As many of the characters that inhabit the EC multiverse are based on real people (or at least a tribute to them, then is the little black and white cat (with wings!) in the Corum sequence who travelled with Jhary a Conel and the cat in the Cornelius Chronicles who yowled and carried on while the family was on the beach, trying to alert them to Jerry's being buried under the sand, based on a real cat who had a habit of helping Mike while he wrote?

Jhary-a-Conel's cat's name is Whiskers.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Ahh, I didn't recall that. That's right, he would know that because he had a link with the cat.

A bunch of years back, my wife worked for a vet and she would often bring home kittens to be nursed to health so that they might be adoptable. During a really horrid rainstorm, a mother had sequestered her three kittens in the heat duct of a trailer, only to somehow be lost (possibly hit by a car, the weather was that awful). Anyway, only two of the three were able to be rescued, the third was too timid to come out of the ductwork and I never heard what happened to it. They were both black and white, and we figure the third was as well.

The male we named Harlequin because of a zigzag mask he had, one eye white the other black. The female we named Columbine. The lost one we named Pierrot.

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
        Jhary-a-Conel's cat's name is Whiskers.
        Not Jess?

Cheers,
        Ant

Comment

All cats in my stories are based on cats who have lived with me.
          To my deep embarrassment the original name of Whiskers, given him by the little girl whose cat had the kittens, was, um, Bilbo... I called him Bill, of course. I now have a black oriental cat called Bill. My grey oriental Nipper was featured in MM's Multiverse.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
          X