Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

ebooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebooks

Mike, as you spend some time at your PC communicating with your readers, I was wondering about your opinion regarding ebooks.

What do other members think about ebooks, I'm keen to hear your views.

Comment

Well, if you insist! :)

Personally, I feel I already spend too much time at this computer, so I'd much rather have a nice paperback to carry around with me... I know that doesn't rule out those handheld computer thingies, but with books you don't have to worry about the batteries either.

I'm still resisting the temptation to switch to MP3s for my music supplies, because I... well, I'd never deny that I'm rather old-fashioned and sentimental. I enjoy browsing in second-hand shops for books and music, so that there's still an element of chance involved. If you can simply dial up everything you want without any particular effort, then I think that devalues it in a sense (hey, someone should write a book about that... maybe something with power rings and water-closets?) I've had to have a massive clear-out of books and CDs recently, but I still like having the ones which remain on my shelf. If everything in life is reduced to data on a computer screen, then reality will become too fluid, and I'll most likely start to cry. :(

Sorry. I'm sure someone sensible will have a better response to your question...

Next!!!
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I, too, enjoy browsing through second-hand books and records but you can't deny that this is a worthy enterprise and also a delight to search.
        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by The New One
          1) you can't read them in the bath :(
          2) they make my eyes sore

Maybe I should try one of those hand-held thingies. Still - I agree with D - a book is a pleasing artefact - multi-sensual in fact. I get off on the smell of favourite tomes! Sadly, however, I think secondhand shops are gradually becoming a thing of the past. The future is probably print-on-demand, ordered by internet.
          \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C

Maybe I should try one of those hand-held thingies. Still - I agree with D - a book is a pleasing artefact - multi-sensual in fact. I get off on the smell of favourite tomes! Sadly, however, I think secondhand shops are gradually becoming a thing of the past. The future is probably print-on-demand, ordered by internet.
            3) Ya can't read 'em when the batteries die!

I too love the musty smell of ink on paper.

I'll switch when they pry the book out of my cold, stiff fingers (which menas I can then go on my undead rampage :twisted: )
            Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

I love finding some old tomes or worn hardbacks. Makes you feel like you've discovered an ancient artifact or secret knowledge from the past.
              Which is relatively true in a way. Second hand book stores smell cool and
              and have weird books that don't seem to exist anymore. I find the internet shops getting less and less of the books that i really want to find.
              Is there a virtual bookburning going on?

Comment

In favour of e-books - the smell thing can be a problem for asthma sufferers (such as my partner). Old books harbour some nasty spores.
                \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

In favour of e-books - the smell thing can be a problem for asthma sufferers (such as my partner). Old books harbour some nasty spores.
                  Ohhh... Nasssstyy!
                  Everything holds some sort of infectious agent.. Whether it's informative or not...

Comment

I have some problems with my vision, so I highly prefer paper. Sometimes, I even print my friends' texts for my eyes sake...
                    Still, I think Ebooks are a bit useful. For example, to get material u won't find printed anywhere, or to test a book you just don't know is worthy or not. I must confess I have dowloaded/received many ebooks, but I just can't enjoy them as much as I enjoy paper books. I usually read the first chapter or even the prologue; if it hooks me, I look for it in paper.
                    I'm very romantic, and I just love to search good books in second-hand sales. For me, there's nothing better than paper. I even write my own novels in paper, with a simple Bic pen :D
                    Sweet moons!

Comment

I prefer old fashioned paper books, but ebooks are an economical publishing route that, in today's market and society, many talented people will get there beginning. There are never enough publishers for all of the writers out there, and sometimes those folks with a fringe voice (such as myself) have to find any avenue that will increase the amount of exposure to their work.

Of course, some ebook publishers are just as safe and commercially driven as the big corporate print publishers, so not everything is roses. I mean, it'd be nice to be able to say: looking for something fantastic and different, try this ebook publisher... or this print publisher... but unfortunately such is not to be the case. It's still like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

So that's my opinion.

Jeff

Comment

I see ebooks as another layer placed on the medium cake giving us all yet more choice. There are pros and cons to every idea. As human beings we are discomforted when challenged with new forms. The old and the trusted always feels better because it is what we are used to.

We can still play 78's on a gramaphone to enjoy music if we wish, yet how many of us are doing this now. It is much more convenient to put a CD into a player and select the track we want to listen to. MP3 payers have taken it a stage further with regard to obtaining new material instantly via the internet.

I take the point about the random element in perusing a bookshop, yet even this can be built in with the advent of virtual shopping as these sites become more sophisticated. As readers of Mike's we should have little problem visualising a world of inter-connected entertainment with ideas sprouting, fusing and taking us on this spiral of evolution out into the cosmos.

Ebooks are perhaps one stepping stone on this journey.

Comment

Any more comments? I'm thinking of launching my book as an ebook first off. Do you think this a good idea or not?

Comment

Any more comments? I'm thinking of launching my book as an ebook first off. Do you think this a good idea or not?
                            So, are you self-publishing it? Are you having free downloads or are you think of have a fee to download from your website?

I have my novels in .PDF e-book format for gratis at my websites now.

http://www.geocities.com/flamelicker/

http://www.geocities.com/jefsview/

And I'm still submitting them to publishers in the meantime. I've only read one publisher's guidelines that states that they consider any online posting of a novel as a "publishing credit" and wouldn't look at it, and there are rumors that others feel the same way, but I've only run into the one.

It's a way to gain exposure, but only if you've given up on trying to find a publisher and are only interested in self-publishing. I'm still trying to find a publisher, but at this time I feel that my books are currently "unpublishable" in the current marketplace, so that's why I've posted them on my websites (not that anyone visits them).

So with that caveat, go for it. But don't expect big bucks unless you heavily promote it. If you do get lots of downloads, you can always on to a POD print version, etc.

Good luck.

Jeff

Comment

A State of War

"Gentlemen we are at war with Apple. We must stay abreast of Amazon. Archers unman the walls."

Comment

Working...
                              X