Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

New MWM Logo

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New MWM Logo

Well friends, it's time to replace this:

[broken link]

With something more attractive that reflects the readership's collective tastes.

Here are some parameters to work with:

1) The dimensions should be smaller than they are now.
    2) Try to incorporate Mike's image.
    3) Color can be incorporated into the image.
    4) The words "Moorcock's Weekly Miscellany" must be present.
    5) Logos that can incorporate aspects of Mike's work will be favored.
    6) The opinion of the readership will weigh heavily on the chosen image.
    7) Mike's preference will weigh heavily on the chosen image.

I'll post into this thread what you'll get if your design is chosen, but first I have to find something. :-)

This will last for 2 or 3 weeks with the option to make a selection sooner or extend the time frame.
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:08 AM.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

A couple design-related questions, Berry:

1. Will the rest of the site's default look and feel remain the same as it is now?

2. Should the dimensions be smaller in width, smaller in height, or the same ratio just downsized a bit?
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Doubtless you have your reasons for making a change, Berry, but I have to say that I really like the current logo. Who did it?

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
        A couple design-related questions, Berry:

1. Will the rest of the site's default look and feel remain the same as it is now?

2. Should the dimensions be smaller in width, smaller in height, or the same ratio just downsized a bit?
        Since the look and feel of the site can be changed (there are multiple themes) and I can't really expect the logo to conform to a theme. The default theme is the most commonly used theme (black and white minimalistic) and feel that it wouldn't be a bad way to go if contributions kept that in mind. I could later create a theme that better compliments the logo. But I really don't have time to do that and I expect I won't for a very long time.

It could be longer and shorter. Something of rectangular shape. that will fit in about the same place as the current one. The logo would be centered at the top as the current one is. But the dimensions do not have to be exactly the same downsized.

I'd even consider an animated .gif except that the animation would have to be very slow and non-annoying. An excellent animated avatar is Dee's current avatar that, if you wait long enough, you can see him blink. Did anyone notice that?
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley
          Doubtless you have your reasons for making a change, Berry, but I have to say that I really like the current logo. Who did it?
          The photo is used with permission from the Austin Chronicle. I created the original logo. Henri Tanskanen improved the logo.

My reasons are: I never really liked the logo. It does give the site a kind of publication feel, but it doesn't reflect feedback from the readership. If the new logo were an improved version of what we have, I'd be happy, but I feel that it is way too big, too low quality and as I've said, doesn't reflect the readership. I could be wrong on the last point.

If there was a great deal of "don't change the logo" feedback, I'd still want to improve the one we have.

Comment

I posted a while back (although not in Q&A) that I thought the banner would look better with a more colourful photo and logo, so I'm quite pleased this has come up. At the time I suggested using the photo that Mike has adopted for his new avatar, but I think a colour photo (whether that one or another) would look better. It's entirely a matter of personal opinion of course...
            'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

How about 'Moorcock's Weekly Miscellany' with the words in smaller text 'Keepers of the Eternal (or Cosmic) Balance' underneath resting on a balance--with the vertical central stand being Stormbringer--or something like that. On the left side of this could be symbolism relating to Chaos and on the right, Order (these could occasionally even morph into one another--sorta like a ying/yang thing going on).

Just a suggestion to get things rolling... :)

Comment

Originally posted by Marc
                How about 'Moorcock's Weekly Miscellany' with the words in smaller text 'Keepers of the Eternal (or Cosmic) Balance' underneath resting on a balance--with the vertical central stand being Stormbringer--or something like that. On the left side of this could be symbolism relating to Chaos and on the right, Order (these could occasionally even morph into one another--sorta like a ying/yang thing going on).

It is rolling ...!

Hmmmm, I wouldn't want the "Moorcock World" to be entirely soaked up by Mulitverse and Eternal Champion ideas ... To me his work is far more, and quite objectively it is so. There will have been earlier thoughts in this direction as the old site was called "Multiverse.org"
                And most things with "Balance" (plus "Cosmic") send out, for me at least, a signal that we're dealing with esoteric matters - which is clearly not the case and would be a stab in the back of the dialogue taking place here with a very clear-minded author who bases his thoughts and arguments on facts, observation and ration.
                Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by LEtranger

It is rolling ...!

Hmmmm, I wouldn't want the "Moorcock World" to be entirely soaked up by Mulitverse and Eternal Champion ideas ... To me his work is far more, and quite objectively it is so. There will have been earlier thoughts in this direction as the old site was called "Multiverse.org"
                  And most things with "Balance" (plus "Cosmic") send out, for me at least, a signal that we're dealing with esoteric matters - which is clearly not the case and would be a stab in the back of the dialogue taking place here with a very clear-minded author who bases his thoughts and arguments on facts, observation and ration.
                  This has a lot to do with Mike's image. The site has developed into a depot for admirers of many different parts of his work. Trying to encapsulate all of it in a single logo would be impossible. It's not going to hurt to focus on his image. But incorporating aspects of his work that he is most recognizable for wouldn't hurt either.

That's why he gets a veto. :-)

Comment

My dear LEtranger, I think "balance" is a theme that runs through all of Mike's work--I certainly don't see it as a limiting factor!! Anyway, like I said, it was only a suggestion...wasn't trying to stab anything in the back, don't you know... 8)

Comment

My dear Marc, we are just discussing it. You did much better than I did by offering a suggestion while I only offered objections. "The stab in the back" thing wasn't saying you did so.
                      :)
                      Google ergo sum

Comment

You should be in politics! :lol:

By the way, I think your demented mouse logo is really cool... :)

Comment

You should be in politics! :lol:

Outch! I must be doing something wrong then ... hehehe !

By the way, I think your demented mouse logo is really cool... :)
                          Thanks, that's more or less what I look like after a day at the office.
                          Google ergo sum

Comment

I much prefer the lettering in the Black Blade theme version of the logo...

[broken link]

Who originated this?

Gr.,
                            Ant
                            Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:08 AM.

Comment

I did that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X