Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Jack Vance Website and feminist jurisprudence...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Vance Website and feminist jurisprudence...

Hi Mike,

First off, I'd just like to offer my sincere condolences regarding Ms. Dworkin's passing--she truly was one of the great intellects of the 20th Century and while I did not agree with everything she wrote, I valued and respected her opinion and certainly count her as one of the influences behind my own development of feminist thinking. You are lucky to have known her as a close friend.

I thought you might be interested in checking out this website--www.vanceintegral.com/ --devoted to collecting and disseminating the lifework of Jack Vance, one of the more unappreciated sci/fi and fantasy authors of the last century. You are certainly as prolific as Mr. Vance and I for one think (as a long time admirer of your fiction) that it would be a splendid thing to see your own output collected and made available as a collector's edition of completed works. Have you ever considered anything like this yourself?

Getting back to feminism before I sign off--have you ever heard of J.C. Smith, a professor of feminist jurisprudence at the University of British Columbia in Canada? If not, I highly recommend a read of his seminal work 'The Neurotic Foundations of Social Order: Psychoanalytic Roots of Patriarchy' New York University Press, 1990.

By the way--I just LOVED the 'Dreamthief's Daughter'--and can't wait to continue reading the further adventures of Elric et al, although I understand the book you have just finished is to be the last of Elric (sigh! :( )

Cheers!
    Marc.

There was a discussion about the Vance site here a while ago and how we'd all love to see a similar Moorcock project:

[link expired]

The general consensus was that it's unlikely to happen and that we'll have to make do with the EC omnibus editions and various standalone volumes for the forseeable future. But that's a pretty fine effort in itself, and a good deal more affordable.
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Thanks Aral, for pointing me in the right direction...(of course, I should have known you guys would have already covered this!! :oops: :lol: )

But, if you're reading this Mike, you should still give J.C.Smith a read if you havn't already!

Cheers!
      Marc.

Comment

No problem, I'm sure we're all guilty of duplicating stuff and covering old ground because there's so much info on the site. Mike has tremendous forbearance in answering queries that must have been raised numerous times. :)
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Thanks, Marc. I'll check the book out. Jack Vance and I have something else in common. We play banjo. A musician friends of mine likes to remind me of the saying 'A pig and a banjo player were found dead in the road. What was the difference between them ? A: The pig was on his way to a gig.' Jack is, I should add, a much better banjo player than me!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Listening to the banjo takes a refined taste...I always find the experience enhanced after a few Jack Daniel's myself :)

Thanks for getting back to me Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
              Jack is, I should add, a much better banjo player than me!
              Yeah, but how many albums does HE have out, hmm? (not criticizing; Jack Vance is my 2nd fav author)

A Con idea: you and Mr. Vance have a banjo session. 'Dueling Banjos,' 'Foggy Mountain Breakdown.'

That would be coooooool :D
              Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Thanks, Marc. I'll check the book out. Jack Vance and I have something else in common. We play banjo. A musician friends of mine likes to remind me of the saying 'A pig and a banjo player were found dead in the road. What was the difference between them ? A: The pig was on his way to a gig.' Jack is, I should add, a much better banjo player than me!
                I heard it as a porcupine and a banjo player...

Did you hear the one about the drummer that locked his keys in his car? Had to break a window to let the bassist out.

Comment

Question: What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?

Answer: A drummer.
                  You can't spell "politically correct" without "correct".

Comment

the Vance collection looks great. and expensive...

Comment

You wouldn't catch me dueling banjos with Jack Vance. Not unless I could bet heavily against myself.
                      Well . . . you could see if Simon House were available for the Con, then you could have a hoe-down.

Sci-Fi convention and Square Dance!

Yeeee-haawww!
                      Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

I hope readers forgive me for twisting this thread but I'd like to use the talk of banjos as an excuse to plug the music of Chilli Willi and the Red Hot Peppers, featuring Mike's friend Martin Stone on guitar (also the late great Phil Lithman on banjo and and anything else with strings). No Hawkwind space jams here but an amazing stew of country, blues, western swing and rock. Apparently both their lps are available on cd as well as the highly recommendable "I'll Be Home" anthology of unreleased stuff. Personal to Mike: perhaps after you've moved to France you can collaborate with Stone on a new Chilli Willi lp. To be titled, of course, "Teatime On the Praire".

Comment

Working...
                        X