Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A quick question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick question...

Hey everyone, I'm new here, so a brief intro, I'm a philosophy/anthropology double major at the University of South Carolina, and a long time Moorcock fan. Now, I'm thinking about getting a multiverse-related tattoo, particularly the symbols of Law and Chaos. I was looking at the cover of the Skrayling Tree, and the 3 symbols of them are Chaos(left) Law(top) and Balance(right), am I correct about that? Or, if anyone out there with artistic talent would like to draw up their renditions of these symbols, I would be very appreciative. I looked through the gallery but could not find anything. Thanks much in advance!

EternalTanelorn is my AIM name if anyone has any comments, and I'll check back here later.

Thus spake our guest!

The bottom left symbol is certainly Chaos, the other two aren't (canonical) Law and Balance (I don't recall what they are within the book... the shame! :oops:). Law is a single upward pointing arrow ... as in this pircture of Donblas (from the galleries here):

[image moved]
    Balance is... a balance... just like the zodiacal sign for Libra!

There are a host of images of the Chaos symbol on the web... including some tattoos, such as on this page. Try googling "chaos symbol" and "chaos star" (Images). There are probably about a dozen basic variants... but many, many interpretations.

(Hewlett-Packard are - unknowingly? - using the Chaos symbol in their advertising, at least at Heathrow Airport. I'll try to get a photo next time I'm there.)

But not so many of the other two... less interesting! (Of course, a balance is also a symbol of law... strictly, of justice.)

Gr.,
    Ant

Comment

... and, of course, there are some examples in the galleries here.
      • Tattoos
        Chaos medallion

Ciao,
      Ant
      Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 04-21-2010, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Get yer red-hot Chaos symbols here!

Let's not forget: these galleries!

[broken link]

Oh, and the animated ones, as well!
        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:07 AM.
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

oooh, tough choice, i know. the thought had crossed my mind for a scale with the the law and chaos symbols in either tray. then i thought of a simple scale for balance.
          picked the yin yang symbol for harmony, instead. :roll: ;)

Best wishes with your choice of tattoo..it's very personal and will be with you for a lifetime. SO MANY wonderful designs to choose from! The artists here are so very talented.

let us see when it's done?

Comment

Do any of you know what those other 2 symbols are? Cause I really like them, and I may wanna just get them on my upper back, one on each shoulder and one between. What does everyone think?

Comment

I haven't read the book in question ( :oops: ), but I looked at an image of the cover in our gallery... I know that Mike has often said that he preferred the Chaos symbol to have "wobbly" arrows snaking out of the hub, rather than straight ones... so I would guess that the bottom right symbol is just a variation on the "star of Chaos" with wobbly arrows. Does the other symbol have some sort of stylised bird on its hub... or a dragon?

It's quite a small image in the gallery, and I'm just guessing... hopefully someone smarter will come along in a minute and let me hide my face in shame.

That wasn't any help at all, was it?
              "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

My favorite interpretation is Walter Simonson's. It can be seen in MMM #12 (the cover version is incomplete)
                Best/Mario

Comment

Working...
                X