Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

New Worlds 156 Scans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiskers
    replied
    8O

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Yes, the more we preserve space, the better. I have other covers, fanzines and so on which I can gradually add to the Vault. Ultimately, if we can get the space, I can also begin to add research materials eventually, such as story notes and so forth.

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    Guy,

It was time and space (but not Time and Space).

My thought is that after the auction, we can delete the lesser quality cover pages, but as Mike suggests, keep the other pages.

Leave a comment:

• GuyLawley
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    It's probably worth keeping the editorial reproduced here, along with one of the cover scans. As I've said before, these are my copyright and therefore I can give permission for them to be reproduced. .
    Welcome back to your "normal" identity, oh Simonson-drawn one. The epic battle with the sorcerer K'Omm Peeyew T'Glytch must have ended in victory (albeit probably temporary, as is the way with these struggles).

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
    Is it a good thing to keep such duplications?
    As Berry has said before, too many duplications and there will be space implications. Or was it Time? Or Bandwidth? Or something.

Variations in cover colour will be mainly (a) minor printing variations (b) fading-over-time variations and (c) scanning variations. Of little real interest I'd have thought. Only real (consistent) differences between printings/reprintings would "float my boat" in this regard.

E.g.: I have two "Blue Circle" Runestaff boxed sets. One box is decidedly paler blue than the other, but the difference could be merely a printing difference; precise colour balance not being a major consideration in commercial printing like that.

On the other hand one box contains 1977 reprints of the books, the other 1980 printings. Reasonably strong evidence for the boxes themselves being different editions. (Though as we’ve said before, collectors or dealers could easily populate a box with any books that would fit! So further corroborating evidence from other collectors would be welcome.)

Getting back to the topic: I haven’t uploaded two scans of the two “Blue Circle� boxes as this seemed decidedly de trop, at least at this stage of the Game.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    It's probably worth keeping the editorial reproduced here, along with one of the cover scans. As I've said before, these are my copyright and therefore I can give permission for them to be reproduced. Stories, of course, are copyright the individual writers, though there's nothing wrong with reproducing the beginning of a story with its illustration, either.

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    This is all my fault. Linda scanned those for Mike. They are images that will be used in an up and coming auction. He's letting go of his personal copy that has a couple of, well, features to it. It's an oddity. When the auction is over, we can nuke the cover images, or identify them as being from his personal stash. You guys can decide.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran

I don't know. Am I being a pack-rat? Is it a good thing to keep such duplications? Help me out. Is such a neurosis common to archivists?
    Let's see...

First ADHD and now OCD...

Sounds like the perfect archivist! :lol:

Leave a comment:

• PsychicWarVeteran
    replied
    Originally posted by Typhoid_Mary
    PWV, would you mind moving these images to the relevant New Worlds album?
    Done. They now reside [broken link]HERE.

With the addition of these scans, there is some duplication, but I decided to leave the duplicates because there are differences worth seeing.

Examples: [broken link][broken link][broken link][broken link]

I don't know. Am I being a pack-rat? Is it a good thing to keep such duplications? Help me out. Is such a neurosis common to archivists?
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 05:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MikeH
    replied
    Originally posted by GuyLawley
    I've been thinking that, with MM's express permission, we might collectively scan (preferably OCR) the editorial material from NW at some point.

Lots of insight as to how the editiral mind was working, thoughts on SF and its place in the world.

Of historical rather than current interest, arguably, but so much of it still rings true, I find!
    I've been reading through a good deal of the NW contents over the last few months, and I'd agree with all that! I was pleasantly surprised at how much of the feeling behind a lot of the editorial material still came through. There were disappointments amidst the contents more generally, as there were bound to be of course, but some of the editorial stuff was a definite bonus.

Leave a comment:

• Typhoid_Mary
    replied
    PWV, would you mind moving these images to the relevant New Worlds album? I don't appear to be able to move images out of Limbo.

Leave a comment:

• GuyLawley
    replied
    Excellent.

I've been thinking that, with MM's express permission, we might collectively scan (preferably OCR) the editorial material from NW at some point.

Lots of insight as to how the editiral mind was working, thoughts on SF and its place in the world.

Of historical rather than current interest, arguably, but so much of it still rings true, I find!

The cover scans of course already exist at:

[broken link]

thanks to Mike H, Aral Vilsn et al
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 05:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Typhoid_Mary
    started a topic New Worlds 156 Scans

New Worlds 156 Scans

Some new scans of New Worlds 156 are available for your viewing pleasure here:

[broken link]
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 05:25 AM.
Working...
X