Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Burroughsania Vol. 1 No. 2 hits the street again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burroughsania Vol. 1 No. 2 hits the street again

Here it is, Burroughsania Vol. 1 No. 2, May 1956, in all of its teeth-gnashing excitement (alluding to Mike's expression of embarrassment to these fanzines literally emerging from the ether).

Would one of you really nice Chaos Engineers give this a good home and update this thread with the new link. Currently it lives in Limbo on page 3.

[link expired]
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Certainly. If you'll please follow me [link expired] ...
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Wow, more rare stuff hits MWM. This site is becoming a repository for such items that people are going to come to look at for years to come.
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Nice early article, from Mike, on Robert E. Howard, too! :)

Comment

I like the editorial comment about people not paying up. Tightwads!

Has anyone else noticed that the first part of Sojan The Mercenary is identical to the start of the story apparently published a bit later as Sojan The Swordsman in Tarzan Adventures and later still in the Sojan volume? Were there more Sojans in Burroughsania? I wasn't aware that any of the stories had appeared there.
          'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

An Announcement, from the Announcer, Mr Wallace Greenslade:

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
            I like the editorial comment about people not paying up. Tightwads!

So! If there's anybody out there, who still hasn't paid up... You know who you are!

Come on! It's only 4d! Four copper coins of the Realm... :D

Comment

Hang on, just found an extract from a Tarzan Adventures (14 Dec 57) on a list Guy kindly sent me:

Tarzan Club News (Bob Lumley)
              “There have, Mike tells me, been similar stories which featured a character called Sojan which he wrote about two years ago, but these didn’t appear in Tarzan. The story SOJAN THE SWORDSMAN in no.22 was the first featuring this Sojan. There are many more Sojan tales lined up, THE HORDES ATTACK in next week’s issue and CHECKMATE the following week…

Both Bob Lumley and John Wisdom are Mike, from what I've gathered, so it's all coming together (I think).

Comment

John Wisdom was a real person -- a friend of mine from Norbury, in fact. However, I think I used his name for some of my stories. Certainly I did in Klan the Spoiler in Tarzan Adventures. I think I was trying to get him to write! I am certain all the Sojan stories were by me.
                Pity we can't find John to ask him his memories of that time. I'd completely forgotten that Sojan first appeared in Burroughsania.

Comment

Help, please. Does anyone remeber which Burroughs tale it was where the protagonist stepped on some kind of disk and was teleported or sent somehow to Atlantis? Or maybe it was Mu. I don't have a clear memory, and this is a story my roommate has been looking for. (He's brain-damaged, literally, so he has a heck of a time remembering his own name, let alone story titles.) I checked out the People/Land Time Forgot trilogy-in-one-volume from the library, but that is not the one. (He does, however, recall the movie, Mike.)

Clues?
                  Thanks!
                  Miqque
                  ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskers View Post
                    Here it is, Burroughsania Vol. 1 No. 2, May 1956, in all of its teeth-gnashing excitement (alluding to Mike's expression of embarrassment to these fanzines literally emerging from the ether).

Would one of you really nice Chaos Engineers give this a good home and update this thread with the new link. Currently it lives in Limbo on page 3.

[link expired]
                    The new link is: http://www.multiverse.org/imagehive/...hsania/burr1-2

Comment

Working...
                    X