Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Bram Stoker Lifetime Achievement Award to MM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bram Stoker Lifetime Achievement Award to MM

I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere; if so, I apologise for taking up time and space with this.

I just found out at http://www.locusmag.com/2005/News/04...minations.html

that Michael Moorcock will be presented with the Bram Stoker Lifetime Achievement Award! :D

Well, if they can announce it in advance, then I can congratulate in advance.

Congratulations!

Yrs
    Martin

Wow! Yeah! Congratulations Mike! Another well-deserved award. Never thought of you as a horror author, though you've written about many scary, scary things. :)
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Thanks! I did know about it but was keeping quiet because I didn't know if it was being announced or not. Very nice of them. Unfortunately, I won't be able to pick it up at their gathering in Burbank, CA, this summer. I'll be in France by then, most likely. I've written to them to ask who could accept it on my behalf but haven't heard back yet.
      As I said when I got my first Lifetime Achievement award, it sometimes feels like a gold watch and a gentle nudge that it's time you retired and let the younger people have a chance. I agree that I don't see myself as a horror writer, but then I didn't understand why White Wolf called Dancers at the End of Time 'Dark Fantasy' either. Maybe, as I've often said, these categories don't mean a lot.

Comment

I don't see MM as a horror writer, either.

Perhaps there's a dearth of worthy recipients wholly within the field... ?

Ciao,
        Ant

Comment

Originally posted by Shudderchooser
          As I said when I got my first Lifetime Achievement award, it sometimes feels like a gold watch and a gentle nudge that it's time you retired and let the younger people have a chance.
          8O Perish the thought!

I get what you mean, though. I'm just glad you didn't follow through with the notion. Not sure you could, to be honest. It's like Ozzy and Bowie and the lot; they all want to retire but just can't seem to bring themselves to do it. Your passion just keeps nagging you to create. Good thing, too.
          "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
          --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by Shudderchooser
            As I said when I got my first Lifetime Achievement award, it sometimes feels like a gold watch and a gentle nudge that it's time you retired and let the younger people have a chance.
            Aside from the horror tag (a strange one that), I think 50 years worth of writing deserves a Lifetime Achievment award.

I pity poor British theatre and movie director Sam Mendes, who's being given a Lifetime Acievment award by the Director's Guild at the grand old age of.... 40! :roll:
            'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

65/19?

Comment

Congratulations Mike!

And award is an award, after all, and you deserve all of the kudos you can get.

I suppose most of your fantasy stories (or romances as you like to call them) tend to be on the tragic side and are rather dark at times, so I guess that meets the criteria. But why squabble?

This reminds me of the time Jethro Tull won the Grammy Award for Best Heavy Metal album for Crest of a Knave. It's always nice to be remembered.

It'll look nice on the book jacket, though ;)

Best,

Jeff

Comment

Finally, recognition for a lifetime spent stoking brams... if I ever see a bram in need of a good stoke, I'll know exactly who to call in a pinch. One thing that always impresses me about this site is how well stoked the brams are.

Congratulations! :D
                  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

YAY!

(Beware the rubber chicken.)
                    8)
                    Miqque
                    ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Actually I think it's about my fourth Lifetime Achievement award.
                      I'm just not taking the hint, am I ?
                      The next step is to get the big hook round my neck and haul me off bodily. I'm really not planning much more fantasy, honest, pards!

Comment

Actually, I believe the next step is when people start saying, "He's XX years old, but he's still alert."

:lol:

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by Stooplechancer
                          The next step is to get the big hook round my neck and haul me off bodily. I'm really not planning much more fantasy, honest, pards!
                          I think the opposite is probably the case. They don't want to let you go!

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
                            Actually, I believe the next step is when people start saying, "He's XX years old, but he's still alert."
                            Yeah... you don't get many XX-year-old lerts...

Ciao,
                            Ant

Comment

Congrats on the upcoming award Mike :)

Ken
                              Ken Boorman
                              Purveyor of the Runestaff and Stormbringer Legends

Comment

Working...
                              X