Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Mad Dog's Amulet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mad Dog's Amulet?

Spotted this listing on ebay, which claims to have a printer's error changing the title of The Mad God's Amulet to The Mad Dog's Amulet:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ADME:B:SS:UK:1

BTW Dave Langford did a MM parody called The Mad God's Omelette didn't he? It's supposed to be quite good but I've never read it.
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

You know, of course, that this particular auction started on April 1st?
    Are you going to trust what you don't see? The seller doesn't show that "mistake" in a picture, does he?
    :D
    Come in, you're most welcome, but leave Envy at my castle's gates ... for it is a poison we are unable to cure, and you'd be its first sad victim yourself.

Comment

I hadn't spotted the start date actually. Could be an April Fool but the buyer (if there is one) won't be too pleased if it is. Can anyone verify if it's bona fide? I mean there was an early edition of the Bible that said Thou shalt commit adultery.
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

It's genuine. I raised this once before, and John Davey knew about it of old.

My copy is a Book Club Associates reprint, which was (and should be) very cheap. The original is worth a fair bit more. Anyone thinking of bidding should ask which one it is.

Comment

I remember that, too, Guy.

As I remember the original is a Grafton edition.

Comment

I have copies of Charles Williams books in which Descent into Hell is retitled Decent into Hell...
            I did a parody of my own called Mad Dog's Omelette before Dave's, but I think Dave's is better.
            Must admit that I haven't noticed the typos on my own stuff, but I don't have it easily to hand, either and I never paid much attention to books as they came out, usually because I was already engaged with another one.

Comment

And did Mad Dog's Omelette ever appear anywhere? :?

Comment

No. It was just one of a number of self-parodies I did for the fun of it.
                One or two appeared -- The Stone Thing, for instance, which was a parody mostly of Corum. A very good parody of Ballard writing The Ice Schooner was done by Jim Cawthorn and to the best of my knowledge only appeared in an issue of NW. I know Ballard didn't find it funny at all! I did!

Comment

Working...
                X