Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Radio 3 today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio 3 today!

Mike,
    I heard the culture review yesterday and they said that there will be a Mamet play based on Marlowe's Faustus on R3 today. I don't know if you've heard it, but it was said that Jude Law suggested it to him. Interesting in that on these messageboards Jude's name has been touted around as a candidate for 'The Film'.

Incidentally, I downloaded mp3 from R4 website, which they've only started doing, at last Melv's In Our Time series which I listen to from time to time. It may still be on their site.

:roll:

PS

Why am I only a Citizen of Tanelorn when others are Eternal champions, Guardians of the Grail, or Moonbeam Traveller, &c...?

Heard about the furore around Da Vinci code?
    \'You know my destiny?\' said Elric eagerly. \'Tell me what it is, Niun Who Knew All.\'
    Niun opened his mouth as if to speak but then firmly shut it again. \'No,\' he said. \'I have forgotten.\'

Re: Radio 3 today!

Originally posted by Darren
    Why am I only a Citizen of Tanelorn when others are Eternal champions, Guardians of the Grail, or Moonbeam Traveller, &c...?
    "Only"!
    There are few higher badges of honour!

PS
    There is
    No
    Code
    It's all
    In the
    Counting

Comment

Number of posts!

Of which furore do you speak? (There's just so much wrong with that book.)

mfG
      Ant

Comment

I thought you got to be a citizen of Tanelorn after you'd done honourable time as an EC.
        Yes, I heard a bit of the Radio 3 Faust and heard about Jude Law's suggestion and how he'd thrown out the play and done his own, though it didn't sound that different to me, the bit I heard of. I'm sure it's archived and will listen to it soon!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Steeplechaser
          I thought you got to be a citizen of Tanelorn after you'd done honourable time as an EC.
          Surely all the citizens of Tanelorn can't be past ECs, Mike... can they?

Gr.,
          Ant

Comment

mfG
            Ant[/quote]
            I don't understand it's a work of FICTION! :? The Roman Catholic Church are attacking it, people are going on holidays to view areas in Rome where Angels & Demons are set. It's FICTION for god's sake!
            Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

Originally posted by silverhand

mfG
              Ant
              I don't understand it's a work of FICTION! :? The Roman Catholic Church are attacking it, people are going on holidays to view areas in Rome where Angels & Demons are set. It's FICTION for god's sake!
              People want conspiracy and adventure to brighten up their humdrum lives. Something hiddden behind it all, that means something concrete, a revelation, instead of more ineffable mystery!

Interesting to see the Holy See getting so rattled about the interest in a work of fantasy though. Considering some of the real scandals they've had to juggle recently.

And... perhaps a lot of people are beginning to suspect that organised religion has a false bottom? After all, the Roman Catholic Church has ben around for a very long time, they must have something to hide! :)

There was never this much interest in the, allegedly, non-fiction work, Holy Blood, Holy Grail (1983).

Comment

I read 'Holy Blood and Holy Grail' over 20 years ago. Can't help wishing I'd thought about turning it into a thriller!
                \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

There's also the possibility that the Vatican has got its panties in a bunch because The Davinci Code brings a lot of colourful and unwanted attention onto the doings of the cult-like Opus Dei.

See also:
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_Dei
                  http://www.mond.at/opus.dei/
                  http://www.odan.org/

They're rightwing, deeply embedded in the heirachy and secretive power broker types. They recruit and indoctrinate young and even have tentacles in the British New Labour party:
                  Times.Online: Ruth Kelly: why Blair’s Catholic taste must be questioned.
                  (Yes, I know, Murdoch's Times... But, the piece is by Anthony Howard)

So, maybe they're the ones that have got touchy about all the interest being shone into their creepy dark corners? 8)

Comment

Hmm, Ruth Kelly, Minister for Education. Scary, isn't it?
                    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Trouble with the Da Vinci Code is, it's crudola.

Comment

For me, the problem with The Da Vinci Code is that Audrey Tautou will be in the film adaptation, and I will feel compelled to watch it regardless of how little interest I have in the story itself... unless she wears sunglasses whenever she's on screen... perhaps then I'll be able to escape the mystical allure of those eyes... 8O
                        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by steeltsar
                          Trouble with the Da Vinci Code is, it's crudola.
                          I agree.. Though i think it hits a nerve with the audience who wants to have a more feminine-type-of christianity, or at least more variations of it.

There seems to be more interest in the Grail legend nowadays.. Or rather with the "Neo-liberal wave" going on in europe, they probably indentify more with the Grails gleaming surface rather than the emptiness inside...
                          I like a book by called 'The Holy Grail' by Malcolm Godwin that goes through the different branches of the grail corpus. Although it's a New Agey coffe table book, it tries to stray away from new age concepts..
                          I like W. Eschenbachs Parzival best though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                            I read 'Holy Blood and Holy Grail' over 20 years ago. Can't help wishing I'd thought about turning it into a thriller!
                            Exactly old chum, I read The Holy Blood & the Holy Grail about the same time & The da Vinci code is that book set as a thriller. It's a light weight airport thriller, enjoyable but that's all it is. You do feel that the church should lighten up & get out more!
                            Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

I'd not want to sound all snotty and highbrow and that, but the problem with big bestsellers, right, is that they appeal to a HIGH PROPORTION of the general population...

Now, correct my assertion, but that means they're read by Australopithecines, right?

Sorry.

My bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X