Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Rediscovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rediscovery

I was an an avid reader of of the eternal champion sagas as a teenager, and remember them with an intensity that is rare in my reading, and I have been an keen reader. 35 years on, I have moved houses given, lent and lost books, and yet many of those novels travelled with me.

Jaded by the vast array of contemporary novels sitting on my shelf, I returned to Corum's universe and was astonished to be as electrified, and filled with wonder, as I had been 35 years ago. Imagine my delight that on second reading, I discovered while they still capture the visual and narrative power of the great romances and heroic fiction, that they seemed even more philosophically rich. As with great, multilayered novels, an experienced reader, with multiple follies, joys and pains within their rueful recall, can find much to provoke, stimulate and to console in these sagas.

I just wanted you to know this, though I am sure that you are no stranger to paise, and I hope that these qualities ensure a longevity that your intellectual questing so richly deserves.

I begin Mother London, and thirteen pages in I am already enmeshed and exhilerated in the promise of this vision... and I have all those other novels to rediscover. Many thanks...

What a happy rediscovery, and equally happy that you've picked up Mother London.

Comment

Re: Rediscovery

Originally posted by Denise
      ...multiple follies, joys and pains within their rueful recall...
      Ah, yes......
      "rueful recall". I love that.

Lovely post.
      :oops:

Comment

Actually it's great to rediscover the literary joys of your youth. I'm working my way chronologically through much early Moorcock that I haven't read for years, and reading some that I didn't have before and am really enjoying myself. :D
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

I've been doing this. You do find more stuff there when you get older. With Tolkien, interestingly, I found it was the opposite.
          \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Working...
          X