Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Where Do You Buy Your Books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Do You Buy Your Books?

I discovered a wonderful second-hand book shop some years ago on the Holoway Road in London, called 'The Fantasy Centre.' I bought most of my Moorcock titles in there, including a very ornate edition of Gloriana.

Its worth a visit.

Whoops

Holloway Road (two 'l's)

Comment

Here in Tacoma, Wa, we have several choices for "pre-loved" books. I like Culpepper Books, Park Ave Book Store, Half Price Books, King's Books, McDermott Books, Spanaway Paperback Exchange and the best of all, the Tacoma Book Center.

Would you believe that in the 6+ months I was looking for The Quest for Tanelorn, none of these stores had it? Always found every other MM title I looked for. Eventually, I had to purchace it online. Got an autographed copy though, so it was worth it! Can't get enough of those Moorcock signatures! :D
      Don\'t blame me; I voted for Trixitroxi Ro!

Comment

Re: Where Do You Buy Your Books?

Originally posted by AlanN
        I discovered a wonderful second-hand book shop some years ago on the Holoway Road in London, called 'The Fantasy Centre.' I bought most of my Moorcock titles in there, including a very ornate edition of Gloriana.

Its worth a visit.
        I sold a good part of my book collection to Fantasy Centre about five years ago. I kept the vast majority of my Moorcock stuff, but there were a number of items I sold to them that I'm now trying to obtain again. Sigh...
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

I generally get mine at the Local Borders or B & N or else the SCIFI book club, whenever they have deals.

Comment

Portland, OR has the biggest used bookstore on the West Coast, Powell's: http://www.powells.com and I like to wander through there quite a bit, but they can be pricey compared to a few others.

There's a huge magazine store who's name escapes me where nearly all paperbacks are one tax free dollar (though they have threatened to raise Michael's books in price like they have with Steinbeck and the other classics.)

There's also a smaller used and rare place called Wrigley Cross where I just heard Ursula K. Leguin (Michael's SF alter ego) read, which has a great low priced collection. That's actually my favorite place to buy Moorcock books because of the price and selection.

Sometimes I do the Amazon thing, especially if I somehow can't find a book in this city of books, as was actually the case with the Steel Tsar.

Oh, and the in-laws live in Tacoma, so I can back Duggm up on how good that Half Price Books by the Mall is. Ever eat at the Taco's Guyamas on 38th Street? That's my favorite Mexican food in the Multiverse.
            My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

I discovered a wonderful second-hand book shop some years ago on the Holoway Road in London, called 'The Fantasy Centre.' ... Its worth a visit.
              The Fantasy Centre is still going! They also now have a website at http://fantasycentre.biz/, which lists some (but not all of) their stock. Nothing like actually being there and browsing, though.

I don't know of anything else similar in London - there used to be New Worlds on Charing Cross Road, but it has now closed; in any case, its out of print books were actually the cheap stock belonging to Cold Tonnage Books. Cold Tonnage don't have a shop as such, but like many others only sell over the web: www.coldtonnage.co.uk Lots of MM related stuff, although they tend to specialize in hardcovers, rare items, etc - so some items are rather pricey.
              Mike H.
              www.holli.co.uk

Comment

[quote="MikeH"]
                there used to be New Worlds on Charing Cross Road, but it has now closed;
                It's my understanding they were reopening somewhere else nearby - it's a shame because the breadhead property developers put up the rent and also forced part of Chinatown - look out for new branches of 'Next' and other such tedium opening there instead... :x
                \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

I like the serendipitous randomness of charity shop bookshelves...

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                    Originally posted by MikeH
                    there used to be New Worlds on Charing Cross Road, but it has now closed;
                    It's my understanding they were reopening somewhere else nearby - it's a shame because the breadhead property developers put up the rent and also forced part of Chinatown - look out for new branches of 'Next' and other such tedium opening there instead...
                    It's Murder One that's relocating to the other side of Charing Cross Road, but there isn't space in the new building for the SF section of the shop. Their site gives the reason as follows: "The block in which we have been for nearly 14 years now is being redeveloped to make place for a hideous Chinese-themed bazaar/mall, which even the nearby Chinatown community are up in arms about. It appears this is being done with local authority complicity and even Labour government blessing, insofar as the owner of the property company involved is known as a major Labour donor. To fight a legal battle would drain our resources as well as those of all other traders on the block, so we had to agree to vacate and take the statutory compensation."
                    Mike H.
                    www.holli.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by steeltsar
                      I like the serendipitous randomness of charity shop bookshelves...
                      Don't you find though that, as the charity shop business get more upmarket, the shelves get less random and their contents more boring? If I see Bridget Jones once more, I won't be responsible for my actions! I trust the decent books are being ebayed and not pulped...
                      \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Don't you find though that, as the charity shop business get more upmarket, the shelves get less random and their contents more boring?
                        And more expensive. I recently found a used copy of Millennium People in Worcester's Oxfam Bookshop for آ£4.00 when The Works sells it new for آ£1.99. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air
                          Sometimes I do the Amazon thing, especially if I somehow can't find a book in this city of books, as was actually the case with the Steel Tsar.

Oh, and the in-laws live in Tacoma, so I can back Duggm up on how good that Half Price Books by the Mall is. Ever eat at the Taco's Guyamas on 38th Street? That's my favorite Mexican food in the Multiverse.
                          Now that's funny. I'm reading the Steel Tsar right now! I found it as part of a hardbound copy of A Nomad Of the Time Streams at the آ½ Priced Books.

Yes! Good food and lots of it. I gotta say though, I prefer Josefina's on 48th and Pacific Ave. Great food, margaritas the size of my head, what's not to like? And you should try Happy Teriaki #7 right next to آ½ P. B. if you get the chance (and if you like sushi!). It's one of the finest of T-town's many, many Korean-owned Japanese restaurants.
                          Don\'t blame me; I voted for Trixitroxi Ro!

Comment

There is a great place in Bath which has served me magnificently over the years, and there have been many things I have sold (back!) to the second-hand bookstore in the Guildhall which I regret getting rid and am now looking to buy (back!!)

I have spent many an hour browsing downstairs in Murder One, it would have been easy to spend a day there, so I am shocked and surprised at what you report, MikeH. Some things seem just too special to be tampered with, should be treated with reverence. The Guildhall Market in Bath is under threat, as well, and it seems nowhere is safe.

Saddening.
                            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Don't you find though that, as the charity shop business get more upmarket, the shelves get less random and their contents more boring?
                              Yes, but there's still Fara..........

Comment

Working...
                              X