Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Editing New Worlds: a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer

Artist League disassemble, and bitch behind each other's backs, as you jostle for the chance to illustrate a piece by MM!
    Wait until you see his submission, then both of you try your hands at it, and let Perdix sort things out. It's not out of the question that both of you might be represented. In fact, it might even be worth the trouble for you and PWV to devise a joint illustration plan for Mr. Moorcock's work. Artistic synthesis of two opposing viewpoints here might produce something memorably good. If not, we'll can try something else. For this situation, it seems worthwhile to pull out all the stops (my, it appears to be national clichأ© week again).

Just a thought or two.

LSN

Comment

This is like a dream come true.

But I'll probably be bumped again like the last time... :(

Which means I'll have to buy a copy just to read Mike's story.

Will you take Paypal, Perdix?

Have you looked into Shocklines or ProjectPulp as places to carry Prototype X? They are both in America, and specialize in genre small press, basically online venues to sell your product. Just Google them up, and email them about it.

We are all humbled.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff,

Based on what Perdix has said, I don't think you need to worry about being bumped.

Some of us might slip to issue 2 at the end of the year, but I'm not going to worry about it. Those of you who have achieved a certain level of professionalism doubtless have nothing to worry about compared to us rank amateurs.

I only submitted stuff because Perdix asked, and it wouldn't bother me to be bumped in favor of better work.

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
          Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer

Artist League disassemble, and bitch behind each other's backs, as you jostle for the chance to illustrate a piece by MM!
          Wait until you see his submission, then both of you try your hands at it, and let Perdix sort things out.
          As a former fan of "professional" wrestling I believe the only gentlemanly way to settle this is with a good old fashioned "ladder match"... or a "bra and panties" match... whichever PWV will agree to. Just so long as I can design my own costume, and choose my own entrance music, then I'll be happy. :D

Let's get ready to doooooooooddddddllllllllle!!!
          "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Fear not! No-one's going to get bumped...If I like stuff, I like it, and everything is chosen on that basis...Prototype-X, as intended, will carry a pretty wide range of styles - by definition - and I've tried to select material both on its literary merit and in a way that reflects the spectrum of submissions. So, whilst we can all quietly fret about pieces lying cheek-by-jowl with those of a contributor of a certain stature, the structure of the mag remains the same. This means that there may be certain elements that work for some readers, and not for others...inevitable with a remit that tries to be fairly unrestrictive. I'm also playing with a few ideas for non-fiction pieces, as it happens, so that remit may just be getting wider...hmmm...although an article on mud-wrestling artists may be a bit too experimental :lol:

I just hope you all bloomin' well like (some of) it, anyway! :lol:

Comment

PS, thanks for the suggestions on leads, your Doom-laden Lordship. i'll check 'em out...

Comment

Re: being bumped.

I was just making an ironic joke, since I was "bumped" once from a UK publication because they already had accepted a long story from Mike, and now I submitted the same story to Perdix. I guess I used the wrong emoticon :?

At this time, I'm just happy to get anything accepted for possible publication since I've been in a dry spell for quite a while due to my stress-filled impoverished life. I need the diversion :)

It's also interesting to see the whole process in virtual time. Perhaps you could compile all of these entries and make a little pamphlet out of it: sort of like a DVD extra: behind the scenes in the making of Prototype X.

Perdix: you're welcome. If I happen to think of anything else that could of help to you, I'll post it. I've been a bit flighty of late, so not everything comes to mind all at once.

Jeff

Comment

Aha! Sorry to hear you did get bumped, your Doomship! That's rotten...room for you both this time! :D

I like the idea of 'The Making of Prototype X' - it would, however, contain large sections of me sat on my Multiyork 'Jessica' sofa being berated in a cool school marm voice by my wife, ensconced on her Multiyork 'Jessica' sofa (we're a two-sofa family, don't you know) with phrases like 'What are you doing?' and 'Are you on that bloody forum again?'...Although we could add some scenes with Dee, ink-stained, watching French films, LSN writing a 30,000-word novella whilst reading Sartre, and PWV designing and manipulating images like Christopher Eccleston in the Tardis...

I'm planning Prototype X-3 to be a CD, actually - with original music, spoken word, downloadable images aaaand if at all possible, a short film. Like I know how to make a CD and a Film! Pah! (About as much as I know how to edit a magazine hehe). I'll have to have a word with Etive and L'Etranger, je crois...

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix

...Although we could add some scenes with Dee, ink-stained, watching French films, LSN writing a 30,000-word novella
                    Only 30,000 words? :lol:

whilst reading Sartre, . . .

Not Sartre! Something less nausأ©e than Sartre, please! If it must be existentialist literature, how about La chute or L'أ©tranger? Or something a bit more symbolist, such as Villiers de l'Isle Adam's Axأ«l or Contes cruels? Or something more Romantic-period, like Balzac's La peau de chagrin or Pأ¨re Goriot, or Bertrand's Gaspard de la Nuit, or Baudelaire's Petits poأ¨mes en prose.

Just no Sartre, to speak of. I'm not really a fan.

I'm planning Prototype X-3 to be a CD, actually - with original music, spoken word, downloadable images aaaand if at all possible, a short film. Like I know how to make a CD and a Film! Pah! (About as much as I know how to edit a magazine hehe). I'll have to have a word with Etive and L'Etranger, je crois...
                    A CD is, I think, a good idea. If we can keep momentum going for a third print issue, why not? I doubt we'll be strapped for material!

LSN

Comment

I'm so glad you wrote "ink stained"...

By then, I might actually have a hairstyle! This could work out very well. I think I have some kind of free software for editing MPEG videos - wait, let me check!

Yes, PowerDirector 1.0 ("...as sold for آ£69.99"). Obviously I can't use it, because my computer is so slow that it coughs at the very idea of video, so I'd be happy to donate it to the cause, if you don't find anything more up-to-date and shiny.

Now, how do I convince Oscar-nominated actrices de France that our project is a legitimate artistic endeavour worthy of their attention? :? Perhaps a double-decker swiss-roll/croissant bagel?
                      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

How about some nice Hugo, LSN...now there was a chap in need of an editor... :lol:

Re: Grants...thanks to Mr Kaplan for the suggestions. Now, I must admit that, with things lifting off a bit from the twenty-copy issue we originally seemed to be aiming for ( :? ), I have cogitated some funding options - if only to cover the toner cartridges (not cheap!). I'm looking at some of these local London 'Enterprise' sort of things, and there are some journalistic start-up possibilities...it's sometimes a bit awkward convincing people to hand over cash to a thirty-seven-year-old veterinary surgeon (They seem to think we get paid very high salaries...quaint. Aah! If only they knew!) but perhaps if I use my other pseud, Bruno Jarbridge, the feckless faux-author and gravel-sifter, I'll manage it... :lol: But, yes, I am looking into grants; I have some experience grant-obtaining for expeditions and academic projects, but if anyone flushes up any likely sources, let me know :D

Dee, PowerDirector 1.0 sounds useful...it'll probably run on my craptop (when I unload the desktop of literature - I now have 2cm of empty space on the right hand side...).

More news soon - I've created a suite of 'Prototype-X' stationery, so I can start to approach people with my head held high and my grasping, money-grubbing claws outstretched...

Comment

How about some nice Hugo, LSN...now there was a chap in need of an editor... :lol:
                          Hugo was a great poet. Unfortunately, poetry often doesn't translate well -- it must be virtually "recreated" by a sympathetic translator of comparable poetic ability. Hugo has never lucked into one. Admittedly, even his best verse is not free of bombast. As for his novels, I like Notre Dame de Paris okay, and the novel of the revolution, Quatre-Vingt Treize; but Les Misأ©rables is, shall we say, tedious for me.

---
                          Good that you are checking into possible grants. You need an Arts Council grant, it is clear. Preferably a largish one. :lol:

LSN

Comment

...and PWV designing and manipulating images like Christopher Eccleston in the Tardis...
                            My, what a flattering simile... I think... I've actually not seen any newer Dr. Who episodes. It was a compliment, right, P?
                            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Sartre, like James, goes great on TV. Anyone else see the BBC2 'Roads to Freedom', for instance ? This led me to read the sequence which I quite enjoyed, though I have to admit I enjoyed the TV series better. It seems that 2 and 4 believe these days that if it won't fit in a crinoline it isn't a classic.
                              Grants. Anyone thought of asking the London Arts Council ? Usually, these councils have far more applications than they can satisfy, but it's always worth a go. Maybe you could sell your sofas to the Tate Modern.
                              Might get a Turner prize. Or are those heady days over at last ?

Comment

I did submit an Eminesque installation once called 'Cat Turd Part III.2, Tooting Broadway' but a judge stepped in it.

I haven't seen the telly for some time now, since my living-room has disappeared completely under a load of old cra...sorry, high-quality literary submissions and multiple and ever-deteriorating draughts of my 'novella', 'Cloudburst XIV' - which is a load of old cra... :lol: , I tell a lie - I watch Dr Who.

I feel a bit lowbrow now. :(

Comment

Working...
                                X