Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Editing New Worlds: a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lord Doom
    Argh, I still need to pick up that edition of New Worlds. It's sitting right there nest to Mike's last two Elric novels at the store where I work, and which I had to special order to get in. But money is always tight. I had to exchange a bunch of books just to get some new(er) ones, and finally picked up Nameless Cults by Howard and Gladiator by Wylie (both special orders as well -- I'm trying to raise the bar, as it were, for my customers who only seem to by Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms and Brooks, Jordan, etc). never enough time or cash, it would seem.

But I WILL finally buy it with White Wolf's Son and make a lovely month of must-read Moorcock and Moorcock edited material.

And when Prototype X comes out, then there'll be even more interesting prose to read. Not to mention other authors whom I've not had the pleasure or reading yet.

Never enough time... to read, write, work... just need to give up sleeping is all.

yep, that's it.

Jeff
    Keep up the good work, Jeff. Fight the mindlessness of Dragonlance (or as I like to call those novels "role playing for the lazy and unimaginative")!

Seriously, I'm glad there are people who are challenging their customers, instead of pandering to them. Some people will wind up appreciating you for it. Many of them won't even know that you were responsible.

Also- I would be willing to bet that Perdix that will send you a chocolate orange if you stock a few copies of Prototype X in your store. :lol:

Comment

Keep up the good work, Jeff. Fight the mindlessness of Dragonlance (or as I like to call those novels "role playing for the lazy and unimaginative")!

Seriously, I'm glad there are people who are challenging their customers, instead of pandering to them. Some people will wind up appreciating you for it. Many of them won't even know that you were responsible.

Also- I would be willing to bet that Perdix that will send you a chocolate orange if you stock a few copies of Prototype X in your store. :lol:
      I've been handselling the hell out of the new Del Rey Howard material, because it's better than most people remember or think. Unfortunately, lots of people picked up Jordan's Conan collection OVER the Howard material. I always try to special order in more of the classic, like Lensmen and now John Carter of Mars. iBooks has been doing a decent job with keeping some of the older stuff in print, even though they dropped the ball of Leiber's Swords series (first two volumes in a Trade edition, while the last two were in regular mass market format -- it upsets the balance of the set). I've handsold quite a few copies of the Great book of Amber by Zelazny as well, and now Grimjack.

As for Prototype X goes... unless he prints enough to get into the Ingram or Baker & Taylor distribution database, I won't be able to order them in for the store. Our company doesn't like POD as a whole. Some of this is slowly changing with POD start-up's like Ellora's Cave and many African American Publishers, but it's still in a national distribution outlet with many and sundry titles. One anthology won't cut it. I can't even get in material from Meisha Merlin, even though I hear that our parent company Borders does stock them. But if Prototype X does well, Perdix might want to think about showing it around judges for the big Science Fiction and Fantasy awards, get lots of postive reviews and word of mouth whereas he might strike a deal with ibooks or some other book packager in the US to do an edition.

Anthologies/short story collections don't make any money for book companies, and even Stephen King's name can't help the sales of say the Borderlands anthology. It's an uphill battle, but positive press and word of mouth could change people's opinion.

I'll be pushing it on my Yahoo group, and mentioning it on my two websites, but that's the most I can do for now. Wish it were more.

Jeff

Comment

You're doing really good work, Lord Doom. It's too bad people would rather read Jordan's Conan than Howard's, but it seems that Jordan is a bigger brand name than almost anyone.

And I was (mostly) kidding about Prototype X (I was taking over LSN's role as promoter-in-chief for a moment), but you certainly offer great suggestions.

On a different note, I understand how and why many books and magazines don't make it into your stores, but I find it interesting that many works don't even make it into your database. As far as evil corporate bookselling goes, Amazon seems only mildly nefarious by comparison--at least they serve as a gateway to many independent publishers like Subterranean Press and Night Shade Books, as well as POD houses like Prime. Good information to know.

Keep shoving those good books into people's hands!

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
          And I was (mostly) kidding about Prototype X (I was taking over LSN's role as promoter-in-chief for a moment), but you certainly offer great suggestions.
          Okay. It's yours.

LSN

Comment

No, no, no! Look closer. It says "for a moment."

Besides, you're much better than I could be. :D

Comment

L'on dit qu'il fut bon -- mais أ  quoi?

Sorry, you are now the proud owner, etc...

LSN

Comment

You would be less quick to hand over the title if you read my idea of a sales pitch in the Enclave thread.

Regardless, I will, of course, continue to be opportunistic around bookstore managers :lol:

Comment

Il y en a toujours l'un qui baisse, et l'un qui tourn la joue...Or something like that.

I think that anyone that gets Prototype X an outlet will get a chocolate melon... :lol:

Great suggestions, Lord Mr Doom, sir...I have been sniffing around Borders over here in Rainland, and your observations are most helpful. I have a diploma in blagging and a postgrad certificate in extreme exaggeration, so hopefully I can persuade some uptake :lol:

Good work, everyone. Stand at ease! LSN, yer top button's undone! Adlerian! Get yer 'air cut! Fifty press-ups! Private Crowseer! Is that a doodle on yer epaulettes! Roit! Twenty times rahnd the quad! Moooove!

Sorry! Power-crazed militarist came ot for a minute there...

Comment

Perdix,

Barnes and Noble is a bit more tolerent of the POD's. Or at least they were. Never hurts to try.

I just learned that you accepted a story from my friend, collaborator, and ofttimes editor Kevin. I hope a few more of the folks from my personal message board sent along submissions for you as well.

oranges all around.

Jeff

Comment

Huzzah! Thanks, LD yer Lordship: I'll check out B&N. Yes, 'tis true re Kevin's piece. It's a tangled skein of eldritch connexions, this writing/ editing/ magazine thingy, eh? :D

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
                        Good work, everyone. Stand at ease! LSN, yer top button's undone! Adlerian! Get yer 'air cut! Fifty press-ups! Private Crowseer! Is that a doodle on yer epaulettes! Roit! Twenty times rahnd the quad! Moooove!
                        *PWV looks around warily, then skuttles off quickly before General Perdixian spots him.*

That was close, he thinks, I hate running laps. And if a press-up is the same as a push-up, I need to get unseen toot sweet. If LSN got it for an undone button, my lack of pants might land me in the brig!
                        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

In France, where they haven't given up the net book agreement, which fixed the resale price of books and therefore allowed small shops to stay in business, they still seem to sell a wider selection of smaller publishers.
                          Isn't the problem the computers of B&N and the other big companies, which demand a certain number of copies sold ? It used to be possible to launch books (including anthologies) without having to worry about the chains (who were simply not as powerful) because there were enough stores with individual buyers who might be willing to give a slightly off-beat book a chance. How has 'deregulation' allowed corporations to take everything over. Wasn't it supposed to improve the chances of the small business person, the independent entrepreneur ? How have things become worse than they were. Why am I wailing like King Lear ? Where is this. Who am I. This isn't the way to the hotel...

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

"Deregulation" is an idea that has been much favored by conservatives who believe in the inherent goodness of a pure free-market economy. Some would-be "progressives" have embraced it over the years, too, of course. Cui bono? Experience has shown that a laissez-faire approach to such things produces, shall we say, mixed results. I am not a fan of it, especially in its more complete and extreme incarnations.

I'd be very interested in anything Mr. Moorcock might write on the Zeitgeist of the '60s and early '70s, and where he thinks things went wrong. I've seen Norman Spinrad get into a full spinradian rant on this subject, so he is not alone in feeling, perhaps, a sense of loss at what we might have had if the developments of that time had evolved instead of been stifled.

To make a hairpin turn, as it were, to the question of magazine formation, I was somewhat curious about the history of Interzone. I went looking, and found an interview with David Pringle that touched on the subject at this URL.

Very interesting.

I'm curious how Mr. Moorcock sees Interzone versus the New Worlds he edited. My own feelings are mixed.

LSN

Comment

I think David did a great job keeping it running for as long as he did and now it's in the same stable as Third Alternative.
                              I found it extremely old-fashioned, especially as far as its format was concerned, but I must admit most of the fiction seemed simply a return to generic conventions from which I'd hoped to separate NW.
                              That said, it published a few good pieces, in my view, and certainly kept Barry Bayley before the public. It also published a lot of Zoran Zivkovic.
                              I find all that stuff, including Third Alternative, a bit bland. For me, at any rate, it lacks the vitality we seemed to get into NW. But again that's because we weren't retrospective. We didn't have a previous Golden Age. We weren't looking over our shoulders. Mad as we were, we were
                              staring into the sun.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I meant to add that those magazines, with the exception of the late-lamented The Edge, all seemed old-fashioned and might have been 'pre-NW' judging by their formats and much of the fiction they ran. But we had the advantage of some very fine illustrators and photographers -- including, of course, Eduardo Paolozzi and Gabe Nasemann. Having grown up as a magazine journalist, I think I had a better sense of how a magazine should LOOK -- that the appearance is the first thing you think about when doing a magazine (not an anthology). So NW was something you didn't even have to read to get a buzz from. I think that's one of the essential differences. I'm not sure I've seen a magazine since which combined graphics and stories as much as we did -- it would probably be in comics, these days, anyway. But you'll note we didn't actually celebrate comic strips. We were somewhat cautious of them (cf Has The Fad for the Bad Gone Too Far in, I think, 179).

Comment

Working...
                                X