Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Daily Reminder: Mike won the following awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Reminder: Mike won the following awards

Nebula Award

1967 Novella
    Behold the Man

Hugo Award

1957 Best British Professional Magazine
    New Worlds

British Fantasy Award

1972 August Derleth Fantasy Award (Best Novel)
    The Knight of the Swords

1973 August Derleth Fantasy Award (Best Novel)
    The King of the Swords

1974 Best Short Story
    The Jade Man's Eyes

1975 August Derleth Fantasy Award (Best Novel)
    The Sword and the Stallion

1976 August Derleth Fantasy Award (Best Novel)
    The Hollow Lands

1993 Committee Award

John W. Campbell Award

1979 John W. Campbell Memorial Award
    Gloriana

World Fantasy Award

1979 Best Novel
    Gloriana

2000 Life Achievement
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

About time Mike had his own award perhaps?
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Crazy to think that no Elric book, including the most recent ones, has made the list. Perhaps justice will be served with The White Wolf's Son.
      My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

but...but... the Jade Man's Eyes was a chapter in an Elric book-- that must count!

Comment

O.k., fair enough, and very observant of you. Still no novel has won.
          My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

At least Corum is nicely represented!

Comment

Um -- I didn't get a Hugo in 1957. About all I could have got it for was Tarzan Adventures or the Sojan stories! New Worlds was edited by Ted Carnell in those days!
              I did get the Guardian Fiction Prize in 1977, however, which I was very proud of. For the last book in the Jerry Cornelius quartet -- The Condition of Muzak -- but actually for the whole set. I also got a lifetime achievement award -- Prix Utopia -- in Nantes in 2004, which I was also very pleased to be given.
              Thanks, Berry.
              Now all I need is my face back... :D

Comment

Oh, NW did get an award in 1967, I think it was. BSFA Award.

Comment

I got the Sutton Manor Grammar School for Twits Rhetoric Trophy in 1985, and the 12-hour World Record for Class I Lawnmower Racing, Wisborough Green 1984. Doesn't quite have the same ring as 'Nebula', does it? :roll: :lol:

Comment

And the Lawnmowers was a four-person team event.
                    And we lost the record in 1991, too.

Comment

Yet I heard that Perdix placed a mere fourth at the Sumatran Yak races, whereupon his temper got the better of him, and he made a great show of giving his slowest bull an impromptu vasectomy, doubtless as an object lesson to the others.

The rest of us yawned during these proceedings, which very nearly precipitated an international incident -- our yawns, not Perdix's virtuosity with the scalpel.

LSN

P.S. Nearly a piece of "flash fiction," that. :lol:

Comment

Yes! The odd thing is, it reminds me of the time I went horse-racing in Mongolia in '90: with the yak-herders at the Naadam. The jockeys were all about eleven years old, and they raced over thirty kilometres or something. One horse decided to snuff it outside our Soviet Ground Forces-issue tent; it was hot and the poor stiff exploded messily two days later. We rode the horses OK, and the camels (unbelievably uncomfortable, at speed, until you get the knack or your body ceases to feel) but we didn't win anything.

I would, of course, never give a bull yak a vasectomy in a fit of pique.

Or ever, at all, come to think of it. I don't know how. Ferrets, yes: yaks, no. :roll:

Comment

Even more curiously, my co-expeditioner in Mongolia was one Charlie Cockell, who later crashed his microlight into the Sumatran rainforset canopy trying to collect moths in an aerial net.

This is all true. Not everything I write is, obviously, but this is.

Even the lawnmowers. It's in the books.

I'll shut up now.

Comment

Bored officers stationed in Egypt between the wars actually managed to get camels to jump in a version of the Cairo Grand National. I've seen the pictures. That's why in some biog or other I added camel-racing to my otherwise ordinary hobbies. I felt I wasn't interesting enough. Of course, this could lead to further lies like telling you I was three-times winner of the Cairo Grand National Golden Pyramid 1924-1927. I actually only won it once before I was born. But that's Egypt for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
                              I would, of course, never give a bull yak a vasectomy in a fit of pique.
                              In a fit of pique, never, we're sure. No doubt you would only do something of this sort with what Anatole France, in Les dieux ont soif, called a "reasoned fanaticism." :lol:

Originally posted by Perdix
                              Or ever, at all, come to think of it. I don't know how. Ferrets, yes: yaks, no. :roll:
                              The cruel history of your relationship with ferrets is a curious and shocking matter. Doubtless it extends to other members of the clan. Are you sometimes called, Perdix Mustelid-Bane ?

LSN

Comment

Working...
                              X