Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

Can I read The Dreamthief's Daughter before reading the Elric books?

Yes.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

You know, you dont have to get Mikes permission before reading his books, right? :lol:

Comment

Having talked it over with Mike on here, he tends to think of Dream Thief and the next two books as a separate series from the Elric books, so you'd probably be fine.

On the other hand, starting with the first Elric book, reading through the series, and then hitting the new trilogy is a privelage that old time readers can only envy newer one's of (since the books weren't written in chronological order, but read quite well that way.)
        My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air
          ...starting with the first Elric book, reading through the series, and then hitting the new trilogy is a privelage that old time readers can only envy newer one's of (since the books weren't written in chronological order...)
          This is a very good point, Dead-Air.

But, yeah, if you're itching to read The Dreamthief's Daughter, there's no reason you can't. Stories of the Multiverse are cool that way.
          "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
          --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Yes, the stories are designed so that you can enter through any series, though it probably isn't a good idea to begin in the middle of, say, the Hawkmoon or Corum series and even the Elric series, though written in, as it were, disorder, are probably best read chronologically, but the current series, which is as much a von Bek series as it is an Elric series, works fine and I can't see anything wrong with beginning there. The Cornelius books, however, WERE designed so that you could enter the series through any of the books in the series.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

My ex-, K, a barking vet from Yorkshire, spent several long evenings sketching out the 'family tree' of the Cornelius series, and the Pyat canon, and the End of Time books...

Crazy, man. Out there.

Comment

Re: Question

Originally posted by Chaz
                Can I read The Dreamthief's Daughter before reading the Elric books?
                Well you could, but the Death Maggots of Fabled Yuggoth would crawl out of the pages, consume your eyes, and thence proceed to devour your naked, quivering brain.

Damn. Too much Lvoecraft in my diet recently.

Comment

Actually, I'd be curious to see such a family tree. Wouldn't it look like a plate of spaghetti ? Or a street-plan of London ?

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                  The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                  The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Go on, be a devil!

PS - My partner's doing this right now - I got her hooked with 'Von Bek' :twisted:
                    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Sadly, I no longer have access to the convoluted document. It was indeed like a plate of spaghetti, or the swirling gyri and sulci of a tortured brain. It was a remarkable effort: this was the girl who spent about a year painting an entire desk in the most intricate, psychedelic minutiae - much like the usual cover of that Jay wossname's 'Storming Heaven' - and used to see her dead Grandmother's face appearing in the shades and curves of a wall or a tree...an interesting mind. Raving Mad, of course. :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
                        Sadly, I no longer have access to the convoluted document. It was indeed like a plate of spaghetti, or the swirling gyri and sulci of a tortured brain.
                        One plate of spaghetti w/meat sauce. Order up!

[broken link]
                        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-24-2010, 05:06 AM.
                        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Yeah! That's a lot like it...Cool. :)

Comment

That is bloody fantastic. Who drew it, Berry?

Maybe we should submit it to Genes Reunited and see what evolves. I'm sure it would! :twisted:
                            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I swear to God my mother's stepmother was Mrs Cornelius: she even used to say:

'Ere, Caff!' or 'Caffy' (Mum's name is Kathleen) all the time. She looked like Mrs C, too. Only she woz Souf o' the River, weren't she? Pie and mash, jellied eels.

Comment

Working...
                              X