Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

question for the critic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for the critic

dear Mr. Moorcock,

because i still donآ´t own a copy of your Wizardry and Wild Romance, i ask here if you are familiar with the works of Paula Volsky and Christopher Stasheff (whose opus seems to be similar to yours since the 1960آ´s ).

cheers,
    kard

W&WR mentions neither of them.

Apart from the general fantasy and planetary romance settings, I can't seen many similarities between Mike's and Stasheff's opera...

But Volsky seems to have a nicely hard edge to some of her fantasy... Sorcerer's Lady for instance... but not Relian Kru.

Ciao,
    Ant

Comment

I know the names but I'm not familiar with their work. As I've said before, with apologies to the good writers I'm sure are out there, I haven't really read very much heroic fantasy since I researched the first edition of Wizardry and Wild Romance and there I did my best, but couldn't possibly have read everything. Pretty much all the fantasy/science fantasy I HAVE read is in the books I've reviewed, mostly for The Guardian. I read and loved Iron Council by China Mieville, but that's about it lately. I'm also a fan of Steve Aylett's work, which is very hard to classify. One of the reasons I decided to stop writing fantasy novels is that I have a feeling there's so much good stuff out there I probably couldn't improve on the best that's now available.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

China Miأ©ville seems to be one of Mike's favourite contemporary fantasists... apart from the comment above, look at his introduction to Jeff VanderMeer's City of Saints and Madmen.

Other writers he cites there include:
        • Clark Ashton Smith *
          Jack Vance *
          M. John Harrison *

Leigh Brackett
          William Hope Hodgson
          Lord Dunsany
          H. P. Lovecraft *
          Paul Di Fillipo
          Storm Constantine *
          Mary Gentle *
          Kim Newman *
          Mervyn Peake *
          David Britton
          Edward Whittenmore
          John Cowper Powys
          Rhys Hughes
          Andrew Sinclair (?)
          Robert Irwin *

... plus a couple of others who I (shamefully) couldn't identify from the references.

I have read - and enjoyed - books by half (*) of these! I'd partiularly recommend CAS, Vance, MJH, and Gentle.

Gr.,
        Ant

Comment

to get this back to the active topics :D

Comment

Working...
          X