Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Duel among the Wine Green Suns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duel among the Wine Green Suns

I heard that this collaboration between Mike and Barry Bayley was eventually published in 1995 under the pseudonym Simon Barclay.

Is this true and if so, is a copy available or whats the story about?

It appeared in The Time Centre Times. I've yet to read it myself. I only recently found out that it had been printed there
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Any clue on how I get it?

What is Time Center Times?

Comment

I'm having trouble logging in.
        John Davey runs The Time Centre Times which is the official organ of Nomads of the Time Streams.

Comment

There's some info here regarding the story:

http://www.oivas.com/bjb/duel.html

And a MM interview I hadn't seen before about his collaboration with BJB from the same site (the link above is the one from the interview):

http://www.oivas.com/bjb/bjb-in5.html
          'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

Still having trouble logging in. I don't remember wine-red sea being a Norse phrase. The only resonance I can think of is 'wine dark sea'.
            Greek to me.

Comment

Mike, in the interview linked to above, you mention that one of Barry's stories appeared under your name. Any idea which one it was, so us Moorcock obsessives can cross it off our list of unread stuff?

Also, the info regarding Duel only mentions the manuscript held in the Bodleian library, and not the one that Texas A&M have as well. Was this looked at too? Are they different?

Comment

Sorry, I'm the worst person to ask about what's in the Bod or A&M.
                John Davey might have a better idea.
                I'd actually forgotten it had been done in TCT!
                I think it was Boys World Annual that had stuff by me under Barry's name, or stuff by Barry under my name. Harry Harrison was equally disconcerted to see bylines turning up. We used to rely on being anonymous! A story called The Mountain in Boys World was by me and I think appeared under Barry's name. Most of the stuff was non-fiction.
                Needs a researcher like Mike Ashley or Norman Wright -- the blokes who do boys magazine for the Book and Magazine Collector.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                  I think it was Boys World Annual that had stuff by me under Barry's name, or stuff by Barry under my name. Harry Harrison was equally disconcerted to see bylines turning up. We used to rely on being anonymous! A story called The Mountain in Boys World was by me and I think appeared under Barry's name. Most of the stuff was non-fiction.
                  Hmmm. I've just got hold of Boys World Annual 1964 on the strength of the story that is credited to you in it (The Specimens). There's also a couple of Harry Harrison items in that, a story and a comic strip.

There's a story attributed to you in the 1965 annual as well, Time Drop, which I've yet to find.

Comment

Dear all,

Okay, let me see what I can clarify for you, firstly with regard to 'Duel Among The Wine Green Suns'. It was written by M.M. & Barry Bayley in or around 1961, but was unpublished at the time. The Bodleian Library had only a partial manuscript -- I don't know if I was aware or not of Texas A.&M.'s copy -- as did Barry, but even after pooling the two versions there was at least one section still missing. For its serialisation in 'The Time Centre Times' (Vol. 3 No. 4 to Vol. 4 No. 2 [6-7/'95 to 8/'96]), Barry agreed to provide us with a brand-new linking section. So, the version we published was not precisely the original story. I'm fairly confident that the whole thing will turn up, one day, at which point it'll be intersting to see how they compare.

Okay, 'Boys' World': Mike wrote a bylined story called 'The Mountain' -- NOT the well-known story later published in 'New Worlds' -- in 'Boys' World' #21. (I don't have the date to hand, but it would've been early/mid-sixties.) The 1964 'Boys' World' annual had an M.M.-bylined story called 'The Specimens', and the 1965 annual had an M.M.-bylined story BY Barry Bayley called 'Time Drop'.

That, within the constaints of on-line postings, is as much information as I have...

Best,

John.

Comment

So Time Drop isn't Mike's at all then John? Thanks for the clarification on that, and for the info on Duel.

Comment

I'd have to see them but I think The Specimens was also by Barry.
                        Adlerian -- check the side bar to your left. Jayde Design have a contact message there.
                        MM

Comment

Hi!

This is for The Alderian, and anyone else who's interested...

If it's okay with you, I'd always rather send a printed copy of the for-sale list, rather than an e-mailed one. It's very long, you see, and not really best formatted for electronic transfer. Please let me have your postal address, and I'll gladly mail you a copy.

That said, I'm currently updating the list with a few recent acquisitions -- this has taken much longer than I'd hoped! -- but will get it off to you shortly, once I have your address...

Thanx & best,

John Davey,
                          Jayde Design,
                          21, Honor Oak Road,
                          Honor Oak,
                          London,
                          SE23 3SH,
                          England.

Tel.: +44(0)20-8699 4783
                          Fax: +44(0)20-8291 9564

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                            I'd have to see them but I think The Specimens was also by Barry.
                            Mike, in the interests of sorting this query out I've uploaded the first column of The Specimens to the Limbo album. If you get chance, I'm sure we'd all be grateful if you could confirm whether it is yours. Whoever administers the Limbo album can delete the scan once it's been checked; I can get some better scans up at a later date if it does turn out to be genuine Moorcock.

Comment

Um -- where and what is the Limbo album ?

Comment

Working...
                              X