Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Jack on the Box Cost of getting a tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack on the Box Cost of getting a tape

For those of us who would like to see Jack Trevor Story's TV programme Jack on the Box, here's what one JTS fan learned from Granada when he wrote to enquire what it would cost to get a copy of the programme. Obviously this is beyond the pocket of the average person.
    Are there enough JTS fans out there to chip in and get a copy we could
    all see ?
    Here's Granada's response:

Thank you for your enquiry and apologies for the delay in replying.
    It usually is possible to make one-off copies from our library material for Private & Personal use or Educational use.
    Before we undertake the necessary research to see if we can supply the material you are asking for, I would be grateful if you would confirm that you are happy to cover the costs.
    The charge for copying library material to VHS or DVD is based on a rate of آ£99 per 30 minutes of programme slot-time transferred up to a maximum of آ£297 for any one programme.
    If you are a student or lecturer and will be using the material for educational purposes, the rate of charge is آ£80 per 30 minutes up to a maximum of آ£240 for any one programme.
    These prices include all research, issue of Licence Agreement, transfer from master tape, engineer and editing time, stock charges, postage and packing and VAT.
    The exception to this rate of charge is for old material held on film. For such items specific quotes will be made which may include a premium for any restoration work that might be required.
    We will also ask you to sign an Agreement undertaking that any material supplied will be for your Private and Personal use or Educational use only. This is a legally binding document and you will need to return this, together with your payment before we proceed with your request. We will aim to deliver the tape/disc within 14 days of receiving your signed agreement and payment.
    Please let me know as soon as possible if you would like to go ahead.
    Thank you again for your enquiry and I look forward to hearing from you.

That guest above is me, by the way. For some reason I didn't log in as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
      That guest above is me, by the way. For some reason I didn't log in as expected.
      Who? Guy? :?

Interesting information, I didn't know private copies could be done like that. Wonder if the BBC does the same? There are some programmes I would like to see again. I have vague memories of seeing Jack On THe Box when it was first broadcast, but can't remember much about it.
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

It was I who emailled Anglia TV originally and I have to say they took their sweet time replying.

Incidentally, before we get our hopes up, they don't actually state that the programme still exists in the archives. They simply list the fees for hunting it down and transferring the series onto tape or DVD. Fingers crossed though...

Comment

Not Guy, Mike Moorcock.
          It's impossible for me to log in at the moment. Maybe I've been
          banned... :)

Comment

JTS. Wonderful writer, wonderful man. An example to us all that you do NOT need to make it rich to lead a life of richness. I knew him a bit in the late 70s/early 80s when he was a regular visitor of a very good friend of mine, also a writer, sadly now dead, called Chris Challis (Chris wrote a biker-fantasy saga for the magazine Back Street Heroes as well as being a superb poet and published expert on the Beats, Jack Kerouac in particular.)

I love JTS's sense of humour. Albert Argyle, one of the funniest creations of the postwar decades.

He had heart too. Morag's Flying Fortress is a book to scar the heart with sadness.

Yeah. I wish Mammon had been kinder to Jack, especially after flogging that story to Hitchcock for the price of a few good nights out that turned into one of his better-grossing films... He deserved better reward than to end up living above a municipal museum in Milton Keynes, or whatever it was. But somehow it seemed fitting...

Thanks for the memories Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
              Not Guy, Mike Moorcock.
              It's impossible for me to log in at the moment. Maybe I've been
              banned... :)
              Ha Mike, apologies for thinking you were Guy (Guy might be flattered though ). It was the JTS subject matter that had me fooled. Good to see you've been around the last few days, if only as a guest. I was wondering where you'd been...
              'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Very interesting!

(I suppose I must feel a little flattered, albeit in a pretty oblique way :) )

I wonder, does the fee hit “a max of آ£297 per programmeâ€? as in, “if the programme is 8 half-hour episodes, we won’t charge you 8 lots of آ£99.00, we’ll charge you just آ£297.00 for all 8.â€? ?

Or does it mean, as I fear, that 8 half-hour episodes would cost nearly آ£800 ?

Either way I’m sure a copy would come with lots of cheerful legal limitations on copying and distribution.

Be nice to know at least whether the programme was in Granada’s files.

Mike has probably been banned from internet access under the UK’s new Prevention of Chaos Engineering Act.

Comment

Working...
                X