Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What Moorcock Should I Read Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Moorcock Should I Read Next?

I just finished the Bastable books, and have no Elric to read until The White Wolf's Son comes out. I've got a few things on hand that I've been meaning to get to, so where do I start?
    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

The Jherek Carnelian series is my bet - It's a hoot and 2 x V. Funny!!!!

Mind you Gloriana is terrific too - it's a terrific atmosphere piece and a great story (for some bizarre reason it reminds me a lot of Second Ether in its levels of sumptuous description).

And "Mother London" (which sets you up nicely for King of the City) is simply outstanding...

And the "Cornelius Chronicles" are chronicles of our times....

Glad I helped narrow it down..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you haven't read Pyat - find it and buy it NOW!!!!!
    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
    Bakunin

Comment

I voted for Gloriana, though the Cornelius Chronicles III does have the very cool Adventures of Una Persson and Catherine Cornelius in the 20th Century.
      Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

Jerry cornelius is my favourite EC so...
        But then, Mother London is amazing.

Comment

Well, I get the impression the III doesn't have a lot of Jerry, but I think I've read most of the rest of the original Moorcock stories.
          My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Mother London might well be his best book, which is why I think it works better later, after you've read most of the earlier books.

LSN

Comment

The Jherek Carnelian series, but attention: No swords!

(It wouldn't hurt having read some Saki to realize how incredible Moorcock is at satire, too! Especially when Mrs Underwood shows up and confronts the End of Time dwellers with her standards of the late Victorian age.)

Pyat and Mother London are next stages.
              Google ergo sum

Comment

Yup, Carnelian for some light reading.
                Then on to the glorious Gloriana followed by Mother London.

Comment

Really, I don't have a particular preference for swords at all! It looks like Jherek is winning this one by a landslide.

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air
                    Really, I don't have a particular preference for swords at all! It looks like Jherek is winning this one by a landslide.
                    Yeah! The Dancers series is good stuff. Light, (almost)fluffy and ever so slightly subversive.
                    Originally posted by Western Daily Press
                    A 'glorious piece of cosmic goonery'
                    And you can't say fairer than that! :lol:

Comment

Well, you certainly can't go wrong with either of the choices, but I'll dissent and cast a vote for Mother London. MM rewards you if you're patient with the first 80 pages or so. And Josef Kiss is one of my favorite literary characters.

Comment

The question comes down to whether you want to start at the peak and work your way down, or start at a somewhat lower elevation and make your way to the top.

LSN

Comment

To be honest, I haven't read the first two books listed in the poll ( :oops: ), but I suspect that I'd still vote for Dancers regardless. I read it just after the Bastable books, and it worked rather well as far as the cameos go...
                          "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
                            The question comes down to whether you want to start at the peak and work your way down, or start at a somewhat lower elevation and make your way to the top.

LSN
                            I agree with that. Mother London is a literary and creative peak, certainly. Not that the others are second-rate, of course...

Comment

The Jherek Carnelian stories refer to the "Dancers at the End of Time" trilogy, or trilogy+1 if you could Elric at the End of Time (which doesn't include Jherek). I read those fairly early so far as Moorcock reading goes (after reading the 6 Elric books - FOTP hadn't come out yet). Really interesting take of the far far future.
                              Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

Working...
                              X