Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Juvenilia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juvenilia

Having now finished reading whatever juvenile Moorcock I have and moved onto the early sixties and the first Elric stories, I thought I'd post a few comments/queries.

Although almost all of the juvenile fiction was included in the Savoy Sojan book, there were several stories left out including a Sojan story ('Checkmate') and other stories ('Matthews and Mars' to mention one). Was there any reason for this? I've since found out that several of these stories were reprinted in the Time Centre Times, so I shall have to search for those.

Of all the Sojan stories 'Prisoners In Stone' seems to be the best written and an early glimpse of the type of stuff you would later do with the Elric stories. Some of the Sojan stories seem to have rushed or abrupt endings. I wondered if that was a case of you using up the allotted length for the stories and having to finish them quickly?

Was 'Klan The Spoiler' ever published before its appearance in the Sojan book? The story is dated as being written in 1955.

There are two Dek of Noothar stories in the Sojan book, but there is a noticeable gap between them. In 'Dek Of Noothar', Dek begins his quest for the Sword of Life, but in the second story 'The Siege of Noothar' he has the sword. Was the middle story ever written? If so, was it by someone else? Siege of Noothar was co-written with John Wisdom. Did he write any more Dek stories?

'Rens Karto of Bersnol' also features Sojan, but as a secondary character, and was another collaboration, this time with Dick Ellingsworth. Who was he? How did these collaborations work?

'The Lovebeast' was apparently written in 1957, but not published until the mid 60s. Was it submitted anywhere before that? I thought this was an interesting early story, although you are fairly dismissive of it in the intro to My Experiences In The Third World War, where it also appeared.

'Peace On Earth' (not really a juvenile, but I thought I'd include it here) was expanded by Barrington Bayley as the original was version was too short. Can you recall what he added to it?

A lot of questions there. John Davey might want to answer some of the bibliographic queries if he has the answers. I should say I haven't read some of these stories for many years and am enjoying reading them all over again.
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Cor. Hard to remember that far back. Klan could have originally appeared in a fanzine, as did Sojan. So that might explain some of the jumps. Also one or two of those stories were collaborations. And yes, hasty endings as I ran out of my very strict allotment of space for text stories. Westworld, the publishers, began to complain about the issues running over budget because of the amount of text I was adding.
    The stories collected in Sojan were edited by Britton and Butterworth and the choice was theirs. I've forgotten how many other stories under how many other pseudonyms appeared in TA and there's been no other opportunity to reprint them, especially since most of them were hastily done, often to substitute for stories from others which hadn't turned up in time. That also happened on NW -- two serials at least (Shores of Death and Wrecks of Time) were written in a hurry because promised novels either hadn't arrived or weren't as good as I'd hoped.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I only just noticed today that this thread had appeared in Dead God's Mail, I'd completely forgotten I'd posted it originally. Thanks for the reply Mike. And, of course, in the intervening time I've managed to make contact with Dick Ellingsworth and get the lowdown on Rens Karto...
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

Dear all,

Marca, you say that "John Davey might want to answer some of the bibliographic queries if he has the answers", and I do want to, and I do have answers to some of your queries, but not, I'm afraid, the time right now to pull everything together properly, into a coherent response, from what is a rather complex aspect of Mike's work.

Sorry, but I just wanted you to know that you're not being ignored... just avoided, for the time being.

Remind me again about this thread when I'm a little less frantically, crazily, bedlamically, maniacally busy. 2028 would be good.

Honestly, though, I will try to get back to this soon(ish).

Best,

John.

Comment

No problem John. The original post got buried in the forum and is now 18 months old. Even I didn't notice it had gone unanswered until the other day.
          Last edited by Marca; 03-05-2007, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X