Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

New Worlds now in Image Gallery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Worlds now in Image Gallery

Mr Vilsn and I have a cunning plan. We aim to populate a new album in the Image Gallery with as much as we can of the Moorcock New Worlds run.

I’ve started the ball rolling here:

[broken link]

Where I have a reading copy as well as a “best� copy I will scan the contents page as well as the covers. Only reading copies will be subjected to the rigours of the scanner ! I hope the contents pages will be of some value for insight / research. I realise they are not fabulous visual treats.

Anyone who wishes to augment the album with missing contents pages etc, please feel free.
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 04:47 AM.

A fine start Mr. Lawley! I'll leave you to get on with it and then add what I can later.
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

You guys are amazing. I don't really get the Compulsive Collector feeling but I do appreciate your contribution to the public's knowledge of all things Moorcock.
      Chapeau to you, gentlemen!

Comment

Excellent idea Messrs Lawley & Vilsn!

I should be able to fill in any missing content pages etc from issue 160 onwards, so I'll wait until you get that far.
        Mike H.
        www.holli.co.uk

Comment

Thanks !

Comment

You both become Chaos Engineers for this one. :P
            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
              You both become Chaos Engineers for this one. :P
              So, whadda ya think, guys? The weight of those heavy stars has been removed! Feel the buoyant, almost sylphlike freedom of movement about the Multiverse. Isn't it great!? :mrgreen:
              "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
              --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

It does feel great. What can I do now as a Chaos Engineer? 8)
                'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

You get to pick one superpower.
                  The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
                    It does feel great. What can I do now as a Chaos Engineer? 8)
                    Aral, you can officially now engineer chaos. But please don’t do it in the UK because Mr Blair and Mr Clarke will come and get you with their new Prevention Of Chaos Engineering powers.

And they’ll hand you over to Old Reg.

(That’s Reg Dwight formerly of Pinner… a fate worse than being Prince Gaynor the Damned. You have to listen to his music for several hours a day.)

Seriously, Berry, thanks very much for this accolade. I’d also like to thank my agent, my *sob* parents, my *choke* goldfish, Reg Dwight…

Comment

I have now opened a second album in the New Worlds series, as we reach no.153 (first appearance of Jerry Cornelius in Preliminary Data).

[broken link]

Witness how “unsung� Jerry’s debut was ! Harry Harrison dominates no.153 with Bill The Galactic Hero.

The readers’ ratings for this issue, published in 155, put Preliminary Data at no.4 out of 7 stories.

It’s a start !

Until I scanned these issues, I’d forgotten how Mike fragmented The Final Programme for its New Worlds appearance. Anyone who hasn’t read this version may be in for a surprise. Within a spoiler warning zone I could say more if anyone’s interested.
                      Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 04:47 AM.

Comment

It seems to me that this album -- [broken link] -- should be split, with the #142 issues being prepended to [broken link]and [broken link] left hear as part of an album for the "original" anthologies (edited by David Garnett). (I think I can provide scans of some of the others.)

I'm not sure where the 1983 Flamingo anthology of stories from the magazine would best fit... But I can certainly provide scans of the cover (by Mirأ³)/contents of that!

But give me a few days...

Cheers,
                        Ant
                        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Ant, thanks for pointing out the scans of NW 142 in that album.

I’m assuming Aral V uploaded them, and I’ve copied them over to the album I started.

If I’m right: thanks+++, Aral.

If not, thanks+++ to whomever!

This is the first time I’ve seen the cover / contents page of NW 142. An historic issue !

Comment

Should point out that the Flamingo edition has been reprinted by Thunder's Mouth Press and is currently on sale!
                            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley
                              I’m assuming Aral V uploaded them, and I’ve copied them over to the album I started.

This is the first time I’ve seen the cover / contents page of NW 142. An historic issue !
                              Indeed, it was me. I wondered where they'd gone. Thanks Ant & Guy for sorting that out.

Personally I think any magazine issues of New Worlds (including the Compact ones) should be put in the magzaines section, while any book anthologies reprinting New Worlds stories or any New Worlds in book form (excluding the Compacts) should be in the books section. A tricky one though...

By the way, I'd never seen issue 147 before the scan appeared in the gallery. A lovely cover, I've got to find a copy somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X