Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Erlik movie... no, not a ytpnig error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erlik movie... no, not a ytpnig error

Back in the 1970s I recall a news item in NEL's Science Fiction Monthly... the August issue in, I think, 1975... there was another item about George Lucas's up-coming "juvenile gang-rumble against fascist oppressors of the galaxy", The Star Wars [sic]... and it had a cover illustration of a robot whose eyes emitted heat rays by Jack Kirby... ah, no, it was July 1974! (http://www.sfcovers.net/Magazines/SFMB/SFMB_0007.jpg)

Anyway, this news item was about Mike working on a script based on the Eternal Champion books. The protagonist's name was Erlik... or maybe Erlic.

What went awry with that project, Mike?

Gr.,
    Ant

Re: Erlic movie...

Originally posted by Ant
    ... no, not a ytpnig error.

Back in the 1970s I recall a news item in NEL's Science Fiction Monthly... the August issue in, I think, 1975... there was another item about George Lucas's up-coming "juvenile gang-rumble against fascist oppressors of the galaxy", The Star Wars [sic]... and it had a cover illustration of a robot whose eyes emitted heat rays by Jack Kirby...
    Ant
    A wee typo still crept in there, Ant. The artist would perhaps be Josh Kirby, but certainly not Jack.

Meanwhile, back at the question... :)

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley
      The artist would perhaps be Josh Kirby...
      Ouch! It certainly was. :oops: An egregious error, and strange... for I never have been a Marvel Comics fan.

Cheers,
      Ant

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
        Originally posted by GuyLawley
        The artist would perhaps be Josh Kirby...
        Ouch! It certainly was. :oops: An egregious error, and strange... for I never have been a Marvel Comics fan.

Cheers,
        Ant
        AHHHH, but you shoud be.

Comment

Originally posted by McTalbayne
          ...but you shoud be.
          These ytpnig errors are clearly infectious...

Should I? Well, I've enjoyed the Spidey and X-Men movies, but no, I've never got into the comics themselves. Although I do remember a boyhood friend getting the first issue of Thor, sometime in the 1960s... ?

Anyway, back to the plot...

Mike: What did happen to the "Erlik" movie?

mfG,
          Ant

Comment

Since Mike hasn't deigned to answer, maybe Steeplechaser knows... ?

Cheers,
            Ant

Comment

erm...

o.O I think Mike and Steeple are the same person Ant....

Comment

I wrote a script for John Goldstone, who had worked on The Final Programme and was a producer of the Python films. Must have been
                around 76. I called it Stormbringer but it was basically The Eternal Champion. John failed to find financial backing for it. Jim Cawthorn had done a bunch of illustrations which went with the script.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Re: erm...

Originally posted by strangelonewolf
                  o.O I think Mike and Steeple are the same person Ant....
                  Um... I was being facetious...

Mike - Do the script and illos survive?

Ciao,
                  Ant

Comment

-shrugs- 8O :?

Comment

I think I've been proof-reading too much; I was reading 'StrangeLoneWolf' as 'Strangle One Wolf'. Blimey, I nearly called the RSPCA. Coffenwolf? :oops:

Comment

Yes, it still exists. I have one copy. I think Jim has a copy, too. The illustrations were done in a sort of duochrome process. It starts in the present world and has what at the time was a bit of a twist. Most people could probably guess the twist end, these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
                          I think I've been proof-reading too much; I was reading 'StrangeLoneWolf' as 'Strangle One Wolf'. Blimey, I nearly called the RSPCA. Coffenwolf? :oops:
                          8O Now why would I want to strangle myself or my favorite animal????? o.O though yea I think you have been...or you're working too much -nods-

Comment

"Strom-burger"? That's bound to be a reallly tough meat patty, being over a century old at time of death. :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by Stromburger
                              Yes, it still exists. I have one copy. I think Jim has a copy, too. The illustrations were done in a sort of duochrome process. ...
                              I guess it's unlikely to see antemortem publication... ?

Gr.,
                              Ant

Comment

Working...
                              X